Help Updating Plex Media Server

ratmice

I have had PMS on my UnRAID server for some time. Today when I tried to update to the newest version (PlexMediaServer-0.9.10.1.585-f31034e-x64-UnRAID), I am unable to get it started. Here's what I did:

1. I stopped the array

2. I moved the old .txz file into my Plex backup folder

3. Placed the new .txz into /boot/Extras

4. Rebooted

5. Restarted the array

When I go to the settings page I have Plex Media Server set to ENABLED, hitting apply does nothing.

6. Rebooted again, for good measure - No go.

7. Tried installpkg 'the new version', which seemed to go fine

8. rebooted and restarted the array.

What am I missing? I am running UnRAID 5.0.5 with Dynamix GUI. It's been working fine for about a year.

• 1 month later...

While it looks like you've solved your issue via another plugin, if anyone is looking to update Plex without rebooting and without using another plugin then follow the below. I have used this approach multiple times and it works ok.

1. Stop Plex Media Service by entering the following command on the console: "/etc/rc.d/rc.plexmediaserver stop" or stop your array

2. "cd /boot/extra"

3. Remove the existing PMS package "removepkg PlexMediaServer-your-old-version-unRAID.txz" where your-old-version is the file name version of the current version you are using and want to remove

4. Delete the existing PMS package file (if it exists) "rm PlexMediaServer-your-old-version-unRAID.txz"

5. copy the new version of PMS to the "/boot/extra" directory

6. Install the new PMS package "installpkg PlexMediaServer-your-new-version-unRAID.txz" where your-new-version is the file name version of the new version of PMS you want to install

7.  Start Plex Media Service by entering the following command on the console: "/etc/rc.d/rc.plexmediaserver start" or restart your server or stop/start your array

hth

TheWombat

• Like 1
  • 5 years later...

I'm getting a notification from Plex whenever I use Plex. The message is:

A Plex Media Server update is available for the server 75a9e682d4ef! 1.18.5.2309

The sequence 75a9e682d4ef looks like a MAC address but isnt the address of the Tower server but it does seem to refer to the PMS on the server.  However, the docker PMS is showing as up to date.  Does a container have a MAC address?  Is this an issue to do with UnRaid/ linuxserver-PlexMediaServer or should I ask on the Plex forum?

Cheers

D