Photo Manager docker / plugin?

I'm not sure if this is the right board, but I'm not sure where else it would go - does anybody have a suggestion for a web-based photo manager?  By web based I do not mean cloud - I mean something that can run on my unraid server as a docker or plugin, and I can then use it either from a browser or a client of some sort?  Every digital photo manager I can find works great on one computer - but when you introduce a second computer or a network into the mix, they all fall apart.

Or if there's not an actual server-side component, even a windows program that plays nice with two or more computers, with a mapped drive to the picture storage location would be awesome.

Just looking for ideas...

Thanks

Owncloud just syncs files - it's a DIY dropbox from what I've seen.  I've also got some experience on it from work and am less than impressed.

Plex is a good photo viewer - but it only sees the media as you've organized the file system.  I'm looking for something like google's picasa, but a network/multi-user version.

Owncloud just syncs files - it's a DIY dropbox from what I've seen.  I've also got some experience on it from work and am less than impressed.

Plex is a good photo viewer - but it only sees the media as you've organized the file system.  I'm looking for something like google's picasa, but a network/multi-user version.

Have you tried this https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!starred/picasa/mK0w_aLwlcw with picasa?

NAS - thanks, I'll check out the gallery - I'd not used that part of it before. 

But I like eroz's picasa link.  That may be my winner. 

What I'm looking for is to give some app a massive dump of photos, and have it organize them, and then let me tag and create "virtual" albums without worrying about the underlying structure.

I'm looking for something like google's picasa, but a network/multi-user version.

I just went through the same thing :)

Adobe Lightroom and Google Picasa are good choices for single user, single computer needs (I have not tried some of the other options listed, and the multi-user Picasa trick didn't seem to address multiple computers)

But I discovered Daminion about a month ago:

http://daminion.net/

and it is awesome :)  It has a true client-server architecture; I installed the server on our home desktop computer and clients on our laptops.  Now my wife and I can both organize photos while the kids are playing games on the desktop.  The photos themselves are stored on unRAID of course.

We have over 65,000 photos and it handles them without problems.

If you are evaluating products, be sure to look into how powerful their search is.  I found Picasa to be particularly disappointing; you put all that effort into tagging and then can't really do anything with it, ironic considering who owns them.  Lightroom was decent but Daminion is very powerful, with the ability to search on tags/people/locations/ratings/and more, all at the same time.

For this particular audience, the main downside is that it is a Windows product.  It would be so much nicer if you could run the server in a Docker.

• 2 months later...

seems to be working, i can upload stuff to it, again not sure how to test imagemagick is doing anything though.

What is Imagemagick ?

Also, do you think you can convert an existing docker of Lychee to "Unraid standard" ?  I find the look of Lychee more nice than piwigo, it seems faster too.

Great news Sparklyballs.  Would you care to share your experiment?  I checked your repository and didn't see it there.

As for the DB, I'm poking around the mariaDB docker, I should be able to use that.

G

it's not in my repo because it's not ready yet, not all dockers are equal, lol.

i have a vm i build dockers in and it works like a charm there, as soon as i load the exact same thing with the exact same settings into unraid it spits out a load of nginx errors about not being able to define server name.

Great news Sparklyballs.  Would you care to share your experiment?  I checked your repository and didn't see it there.

As for the DB, I'm poking around the mariaDB docker, I should be able to use that.

G

it's not in my repo because it's not ready yet, not all dockers are equal, lol.

i have a vm i build dockers in and it works like a charm there, as soon as i load the exact same thing with the exact same settings into unraid it spits out a load of nginx errors about not being able to define server name.

OjvS1cS.png

Window on the left, my vm docker build area, used the same base files (copied them over from one server to the other), copy pasted the same build and run commands from one to the other, whatever i do with unraid side of things it just will not work and spits out this bollocks whenever i try to run it. i've tried it from the command line, from my private repo via template and it's always the same result whenever i try to run it on unraid.

i give up because i can't tell what the hell is wrong.

Went back to the beginning, ditched nginx as it was a PITA and went with apache instead.

pushing a build to my private repo for some testing etc....

but on my standalone docker server, it loads plugins , facebook one for instance, although it posts the links on facebook as my local ip address which is no good, lol.

i wouldn't recommend putting this on the internet though anyways as i'm no security guru, i was just testing stuff out.

i'll push it to my normal repo for people to play with/improve a little later.

• 3 months later...

I am not sure this docker is in a completely working state although it looks promising.

The description talks about needing a database with full permissions for a user but doesn't say the name of the database to create or the user.

I set the volume to read only and possibly just as well as it tried to change the ownership of every image (to what I dont know):

chown: changing ownership of ‘/var/www/gallery/***’: Read-only file system

Random apache error likely related to docker bridging:

AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 172.17.0.7. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message

Happy to work on this interactvely if the docker still interests you

I am not sure this docker is in a completely working state although it looks promising.

The description talks about needing a database with full permissions for a user but doesn't say the name of the database to create or the user.

I set the volume to read only and possibly just as well as it tried to change the ownership of every image (to what I dont know):

chown: changing ownership of ‘/var/www/gallery/***’: Read-only file system

Random apache error likely related to docker bridging:

AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 172.17.0.7. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message

Happy to work on this interactvely if the docker still interests you

Should perhaps have made it a little clearer in the information, the /var/www/gallery mapping is not a link to your local images, it's the store for images you add to piwigo itself and as such it gets set to www-data:www-data ownership as per any apache site should.

Could probably add a mapping for local images, that would only need to be read-only of course.

the other thing about server name is because the server name isn't set in the config for the site, there are probably ways around this, changing network mode to net and then inputting either the local ip or a domain name/ip would resolve it, but other than that it's not a great concern.

if it were being opened to the wider net though, i'd also be looking to https and certificates and whatnot, something i'd need some help with getting set up.