Reboot from GUI don't find USB to boot from

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steps to Perform

1)  Shutdown your unRAID server completely.

2)  Unplug your USB flash device from your server and plug it into a Windows-based computer.

3)  Download this zip file and extract it to the syslinux folder on your USB flash device, overwriting the files that are there.

4)  Run make_bootable from the USB flash device root folder (make sure to Run as Administrator)

NOTE:  This will NOT work from a Mac at this time.

5)  Unplug the USB flash device from your computer and plug it back into your server and boot.

6)  After booted up, stop the array and reboot to ensure that the machine reboots correctly and that machine check errors are not displayed.

7)  Coffee break!

I've been annoyed by this problem for the last week or so, and was just referred to this thread.

I followed these steps and can confirm it worked perfectly for me also.  I just rebooted successfully for the first time in a long while.

I'm currently running the latest BIOS (1.90) for my Fatal1ty Z87 Professional board.  I don't recall having this issue with the previous BIOS (1.70), and only upgraded BIOS to try to help get my GPU passthru working.

Anyway, thanks for this; at least one thing went right recently :)

Very interesting -- and it continues the trend of this only happening with AsRock boards.

It's very interesting that it did NOT happen with an earlier BIOS.

It's now happened with x77, x87, and x97 chipsets ... all on AsRock boards.  But at least the new version of Syslinux eliminates it.  It'd be interesting to know exactly what the cause is ... but as long as there's a simple way to avoid it, it's clearly not worth the time to do any further isolation of the specifics.

I'm not sure what the change was that fixed this, but I'm seeing the bootup stall for about a minute on this line...

Triggering udev events: /sbin/udevadm Trigger --action=change /sbin/udevadm trigger --action-change

it eventually completes, and I don't see any errors, just increases the bootup time quite a bit.

just an FYI

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...