A fix for file copy timeouts

Brucey7

I have always had an issue with trying to copy a file from a Win7 workstation to a nearly full disk on unRAID.  It's exacerbated with big low RPM disks (especially WD Red 6TB)

Copying a 35GB file with 150GB free space times out every time, the Win7 w/s reports a file of between 21& 26GB for a few seconds before it's cleaned up and disappears.  No actual copying takes place, I suspect it's the ReiserFS implementation attempting to preallocate space without keeping alive the SMB connection to windows.

I am hoping a move to XFS will fix the problem.  In the interim I have finally found a fix.

On the Win 7 w/s

1.      Open Regedit, and go to \HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters\

2.      Add a DWORD value called SessTimeout and set it for something like 3000 seconds

3.      Restart workstation service or reboot the w/s

• 3 months later...

I have had that problem a lot. Seems like ReiserFS locks the whole system (kernel level?) when trying to allocate space for a file on a nearly full drive. Seems I can fill a newly formated reiserfs drive to within a few GB with no issues, but on a drive where files have been moved on and off for a while, I need to leave ~100GB free space to avoid the issue (more on a drive with many small files that has been used a long time). Surprised more people aren't writing about it here.

Not so sure the "linux doesn't need defragmenting" saying holds true for reiserfs. I know there isn't a defrag tool, but maybe it would have helped?

Did you convert to XFS, and if so, did behavior with full disks improve?

• 5 months later...

Do you have instructions on how to do this on Linux machines? 

I constantly have timeout errors and either have to access the drive twice (fails first time, then it'll work the 2nd since it's spun up) or to spin the drives up manually in the webGUI.

Nate

• 4 months later...

Interestingly, I have never had this issue -- and I have 14 VERY full Reiser disks on my media server [2-4TB disks, less than 1GB of free space on each]    I don't copy files as large as 35GB, however ... none of my media files exceed about 8.5GB in size.

Yeah, your disks are more full than mine, but I have 23 with parity. Maybe I should try replacing my gigabit switches to help even further - there are three between the Windows HTPC and the unraid server.

Interestingly, I have never had this issue -- and I have 14 VERY full Reiser disks on my media server [2-4TB disks, less than 1GB of free space on each]    I don't copy files as large as 35GB, however ... none of my media files exceed about 8.5GB in size.

If you wanted to make sure you encountered this problem, what you would do is free up 10-20% on a drive, fill it up again, repeat several times. I never had a problem simply filling a reiserfs drive, it was once a disk had been partially emptied and refilled. Could be a month or a year until I would see the problems, and on many disks I never did. I have even seen the problems on disks that were never filled beyond 98% (40GB free), just a matter of time and use.

I too migrated to XFS and haven't had problems since.

If you wanted to make sure you encountered this problem, what you would do is free up 10-20% on a drive, fill it up again, repeat several times. I never had a problem simply filling a reiserfs drive, it was once a disk had been partially emptied and refilled. Could be a month or a year until I would see the problems, and on many disks I never did. I have even seen the problems on disks that were never filled beyond 98% (40GB free), just a matter of time and use.

I too migrated to XFS and haven't had problems since.

Yes, that would describe my situation very well.

I have always had an issue with trying to copy a file from a Win7 workstation to a nearly full disk on unRAID.  It's exacerbated with big low RPM disks (especially WD Red 6TB)

Copying a 35GB file with 150GB free space times out every time, the Win7 w/s reports a file of between 21& 26GB for a few seconds before it's cleaned up and disappears.  No actual copying takes place, I suspect it's the ReiserFS implementation attempting to preallocate space without keeping alive the SMB connection to windows.

I am hoping a move to XFS will fix the problem.  In the interim I have finally found a fix.

On the Win 7 w/s

1.      Open Regedit, and go to \HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters\

2.      Add a DWORD value called SessTimeout and set it for something like 3000 seconds

3.      Restart workstation service or reboot the w/s

I use teracopy or Win 10 explorer and receive the time out , Will this fix above be the same for Windows 10?