[PLUGIN DEPRECATED] VM Manager (2015.02.24)

dmacias

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this will be asked since storage pools functions have been removed to simplify the plugin.  You can remove storage pool definitions by entering this in the command line and then restarting virtMan/libvirt (don't forget restarting libvirt will restart vm's cause I always forget). 

rm -rf /etc/libvirt/storage

You could also delete the pools in the old version before installing the new version.

Also new vm images will be created in a subfolder and image name based on the name of the vm to bring the plugin closer in compliance with how Xen unRAID works

Will I still be able to specify where I want my storage pool located? I currently have 2 storage pools - 1 for my qcow2 images and 1 for my boot images. Is that still possible?

Just updated to your new plugin and cant seem to figure out where the add windows virtio drivers part went to?

Thanks

You can change the cdrom image at anytime from the main menu.  During install change to virtio image, install drivers then change back to install image.

Sorry I guess i am blind i cant see that option.  I know when i was creating an image in the past with your plugin i could pick both the path for windows ISO & the drivers ISO path.  When i get to the windows install now i cannot see the cdrom to install the drivers only the BOOT and Windows choices when i pick browse.

I know this will be asked since storage pools functions have been removed to simplify the plugin.  You can remove storage pool definitions by entering this in the command line and then restarting virtMan/libvirt (don't forget restarting libvirt will restart vm's cause I always forget). 

rm -rf /etc/libvirt/storage

You could also delete the pools in the old version before installing the new version.

Also new vm images will be created in a subfolder and image name based on the name of the vm to bring the plugin closer in compliance with how Xen unRAID works

Will I still be able to specify where I want my storage pool located? I currently have 2 storage pools - 1 for my qcow2 images and 1 for my boot images. Is that still possible?

The storage pool functions are gone. That's exactly how I had mine setup too.  They were removed to make way for how libvirt and vm's will be started in future betas.  You can click any of the image text boxes and a file tree will open based at /mnt. So you can browse to your image. I know it's not as quick as the drop down before. The file browser function can start from any specific location. So I can move virtman to a settings tab under KVM and add a default start location option for media.

Just updated to your new plugin and cant seem to figure out where the add windows virtio drivers part went to?

Thanks

You can change the cdrom image at anytime from the main menu.  During install change to virtio image, install drivers then change back to install image.

Sorry I guess i am blind i cant see that option.  I know when i was creating an image in the past with your plugin i could pick both the path for windows ISO & the drivers ISO path.  When i get to the windows install now i cannot see the cdrom to install the drivers only the BOOT and Windows choices when i pick browse.

I think I'll add that back. Maybe as a temp drive during install.  When the vm is created and running you can click on the vm name in the Virtual Machine tab and then click on the cdrom drive and change it live.

Thanks

I think I'll add that back. Maybe as a temp drive during install.  When the vm is created and running you can click on the vm name in the Virtual Machine tab and then click on the cdrom drive and change it live.

I would appreciate it very much.  Do you have a donation page setup? 

When creating a new VM, can you add q35 machine option?

//Peter

I was thinking of that and can add that easily. Is there a reason for that machine and should it be the default?

It will be the default in virtmanager, so why not do this step? ;-)

Maybe they don't know what they are doing? :)  I will make a machine drop down with q35 add default.

Thanks

I would appreciate it very much.  Do you have a donation page setup?

No problem. Nah no donation page.  I do this just to piss off my wife. :) J/k

No problem. Nah no donation page.  I do this just to piss off my wife. :) J/k

My wife don't like unraid as much that I do. :-) :-)

You guys crack me up. My wife walks by and says you doing that again! and then walks off....  Years ago when she first heard i mention unraid she thought i was talking about a bug spray.

Maybe we should start a sub forum for our wives... You know so they feel included  ;D

Change Log vmMan

-Removed Storage Pool tab and all storage pool functions.

-Added web based file trees to Create VM tab to access cdrom, existing images and to create images.

-New vm images will be created based on name of vm in a sub-folder of the same name similar to xenman plugin

-Added file tree for cdrom change for existing vm ie. for switching to driver image for windows virtio drivers

-Removed Device tab

-condensed action messages

You removed Device tab too??? but but why that's my favorite tab...

99340b374307698.jpg

Change Log vmMan

-Removed Storage Pool tab and all storage pool functions.

-Added web based file trees to Create VM tab to access cdrom, existing images and to create images.

-New vm images will be created based on name of vm in a sub-folder of the same name similar to xenman plugin

-Added file tree for cdrom change for existing vm ie. for switching to driver image for windows virtio drivers

-Removed Device tab

-condensed action messages

You removed Device tab too??? but but why that's my favorite tab...

I can add that back. But tell me what's better about it than the Tools/System Devices page in webgui or how you use it.  The xml viewer?  One problem I had was the devices were missing descriptions using php-libvirt vs command line.  e.g. lsusb vs php version. I parse the lsusb in create vm instead now.

I can add that back. But tell me what's better about it than the Tools/System Devices page in webgui our how you use it.  The xml viewer?  One problem I had was the devices were missing descriptions using php-libvirt vs command line.  e.g. lsusb vs php version. I parse the lsusb in create vm instead now.

hmmm, well I never have looked at the Tools/System Devices page  ::) I suppose the only thing that the system devices page is missing is the device driver, I have used that as a quick check to make sure the PCI device is bound to vifo-pci. Other than that I suppose the Device tab isn't really needed.

I can add that back. But tell me what's better about it than the Tools/System Devices page in webgui our how you use it.  The xml viewer?  One problem I had was the devices were missing descriptions using php-libvirt vs command line.  e.g. lsusb vs php version. I parse the lsusb in create vm instead now.

hmmm, well I never have looked at the Tools/System Devices page  ::) I suppose the only thing that the system devices page is missing is the device driver, I have used that as a quick check to make sure the PCI device is bound to vifo-pci. Other than that I suppose the Device tab isn't really needed.

Tell me how or what you checked for vfio-pci. Maybe that could be a feature request for unRAID System Devices page. Do you know what the command line equivalent is? That page is just a direct ouput of ls commands.

Tell me how or what you checked for vfio-pci. Maybe that could be a feature request for unRAID System Devices page. Do you know what the command line equivalent is? That page is just a direct ouput of ls commands.

So for example, when I wanted to pass through my GPU to Windows, it was nice to be able to check to make sure the GPU was bound to vfio-pci (see attached) before I started the VM. I do like your idea of just asking for it to be added to the Systems Devices page. I am not sure what the command is to view them via ssh.

Capture.PNG.5774cdf7f07bb87fdeee9deec903650f.PNG

New question, now that I updated to today's version of the plugin: is it possible to expand the size of a hard driver that is in use by a VM?  I don't see how to do it, if so.

No not at the moment but that's a good idea.  I can make it so you click on disk capacity and then change/enter a new greater value. Till then you can do it from the command-line with qemu-img.

• trurl unpinned this topic