gplpv drivers for KVM; necessary?

I installed [urlhttp://wiki.univention.com/index.php?title=Installing-signed-GPLPV-drivers]these drivers[/url] when I was using XEN, and they allowed the XEN drivers to restart the windows VM, shut it down, etc.

Now, I'm using KVM, and don't seem to have this functionality with the vmMan plugin, so I was thinking I needed to install these drivers in the new Windows 7 VM, but before doing so, I checked for any updates to the drivers, and realized/remembered they are for XEN, and don't say if they are also for KVM.

So, I figured I'd ask here.  Should I install these drivers for my KVM setup, or is there some other version for KVM that I should install?

Okay, thanks for the info.  Those are the drivers I used to install Windows in the first place (SCSI driver was needed to be able to read the 'hard drive' to allow me to install).

In XEN, I had to install drivers after windows was installed, which allowed windows to be better controlled as far as restarting via control from the VM manager in unRAID.

It looks/sounds like there are no such drivers for windows.  Oh well, not a big deal.

Okay, thanks for the info.  Those are the drivers I used to install Windows in the first place (SCSI driver was needed to be able to read the 'hard drive' to allow me to install).

In XEN, I had to install drivers after windows was installed, which allowed windows to be better controlled as far as restarting via control from the VM manager in unRAID.

It looks/sounds like there are no such drivers for windows.  Oh well, not a big deal.

The VirtIO drivers are VERY CLOSE to the equivalent of the GPLPV drivers.  The accomplish almost all the same things (and quite frankly, better than Xen).  The drivers install cleanly and report usage statistics accurately in Windows.  In addition, there is no need for KVM to enable "safe shutdown".  KVM does that through ACPI calls just fine without any special sauce installed in the guest.

The VirtIO drivers are VERY CLOSE to the equivalent of the GPLPV drivers.  The accomplish almost all the same things (and quite frankly, better than Xen).  The drivers install cleanly and report usage statistics accurately in Windows.  In addition, there is no need for KVM to enable "safe shutdown".  KVM does that through ACPI calls just fine without any special sauce installed in the guest.

Okay.  I just figured there needed to be something to 'help' windows VM restart.  When I do restart from inside the VM, it shuts down, but I have to go to the vmManager to hit start to get it to start back up.  I seem to remember this not being necessary in XEN.

But, it's not a big deal.  I don't need to do it that often.

Hopefully I can test the passthru soon.  I still have not put the bit back into the syslinux, and everything is still running fine.

Fingers crossed for a new beta pretty soon.

Okay.  I just figured there needed to be something to 'help' windows VM restart.  When I do restart from inside the VM, it shuts down, but I have to go to the vmManager to hit start to get it to start back up.  I seem to remember this not being necessary in XEN.

Hopefully I can test the passthru soon.  I still have not put the bit back into the syslinux, and everything is still running fine.

Hmm.  I do not have to do that on my systems. I'll dedicate some time to working with you after we get the next release out.  This next release is a HUGE one.

The restart problem is becuase I didn't notice the template was setting reboot to destroy.  So just change that in your vm's xml to restart.  Also you can change crash to reboot if you want also. I'll fix the template.

The restart problem is becuase I didn't notice the template was setting reboot to destroy.  So just change that in your vm's xml to restart.  Also you can change crash to reboot if you want also. I'll fix the template.

Ah, that makes sense.  I didn't even think to check that  :o

Once the current process finishes, I'll stop it, make the change to the XML, then start again.

Is it possible to allow changes to the XML while the VM is running, but not have them 'take effect' until the VM restarts?  That would save me having to wait, remember to stop, make the change, then restart in a couple hours.

If not, no big deal, just asking :)

thanks again

Ah, that makes sense.  I didn't even think to check that  :o

Once the current process finishes, I'll stop it, make the change to the XML, then start again.

Is it possible to allow changes to the XML while the VM is running, but not have them 'take effect' until the VM restarts?  That would save me having to wait, remember to stop, make the change, then restart in a couple hours.

If not, no big deal, just asking :)

thanks again

I had it that way at first but it gets confusing.  Because if you go back to edit your previous changes won't be seen but they are saved.  So if you stop the vm and edit the changes are there but when active they aren't.  If i can update the active config with the php api as well as the defined one then yes.