It feels like a new beta is imminent, thoughts on what it might contain?

JustinChase

I'm happy with the mom/pop shop  8)

I am fine with this too, but Tom's seemed to have plans to build the brand and entice more corporate customers, which the current model will not support. The only reason I would like to see it move out of mom/pop is that it shows business maturity and the larger the install base the more money LT has to invest in resources to further improve the product.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy with the mom/pop shop  8)

I am fine with this too, but Tom's seemed to have plans to build the brand and entice more corporate customers, which the current model will not support. The only reason I would like to see it move out of mom/pop is that it shows business maturity and the larger the install base the more money LT has to invest in resources to further improve the product.

I agree. I would love nothing more than to see this company evolve and for Tom to be able to take that vacation that he so desperately deserves. LT is definitely growing and I'm sure they have their workload cut out for them but unRAID definitely suffers from a bad case of feature creep which hinders development. Bells and whistles should be 6.1, 6.2, etc.

This forum gets so worked up when a new release is "around the corner" as shown by the influx of people on IRC and how active the forums have been. There are a lot of dedicated users who love this product but seeing that grayed out announcement thread makes everyone sad panda.

It's probably never going to happen, but if LT could deliver a small, weekly progress update (on schedule... no exceptions) of where things are at in regards to development- what issues are currently being worked on, what has been resolved etc. just a few sentences with some bullet points I'm sure it would keep the hounds at bay. Plus the community always wants to help where they can- it may even assist in squashing certain bugs faster. There are some VERY bright, active people here.. use them!  :D

Waiting for a date is one thing.  Waiting for a date and seeing it pass by time and time again is another. I would definitely rather wait and have a stable product.  It's our data we are playing with here and not just some bleeding edge software.  But at the same time I have been postponing my own personal projects based around unraid.  I've too many times (a few times during this 6.0 beta)  started playing with my configuration,  get it working (or not in some cases)  then a week/month later the entire process for setting it up changes or something else changes and I have to start from scratch.  And so is the nature of a beta but I'm sick of waiting for a beta/rc with a feature freeze.  Like what kodi (xbmc)  team does.  They get to a point and freeze any new features,  work on only bugs for a while then release.  This works great.  I would willing start participating in the beta testing again as soon as I knew the features wouldn't change the next month. 

Like what kodi (xbmc)  team does.  They get to a point and freeze any new features,  work on only bugs for a while then release.  This works great.  I would willing start participating in the beta testing again as soon as I knew the features wouldn't change the next month.

Gee, that almost sounds like proper software development. How novel. :)

I still don't fully understand why they don't start releasing small incremental updates, instead of trying to 'do it all' in one go.

When we did the IRC a few weeks ago, Dynamix was mostly integrated, but all the extras were to remain as plugins.  now it seems they are putting it all inegrated, and if you're correct, the whole thing is going to get pushed because it doesn't all work.

Add email notifications, test, release to us to test more.

Add APCUPS integration, test, release to us to test more.

Add pre-clear, test, release to us to test more.

Add Dynamix basic, test, release to us to test more.

Add a few Dynamix goodies, test, release to us to test more.

etc, etc, etc

We could have had a lot of new things really well tested by now.

Oh well, it is what it is.  :D

I still don't fully understand why they don't start releasing small incremental updates, instead of trying to 'do it all' in one go.

When we did the IRC a few weeks ago, Dynamix was mostly integrated, but all the extras were to remain as plugins.  now it seems they are putting it all inegrated, and if you're correct, the whole thing is going to get pushed because it doesn't all work.

Add email notifications, test, release to us to test more.

Add APCUPS integration, test, release to us to test more.

Add pre-clear, test, release to us to test more.

Add Dynamix basic, test, release to us to test more.

Add a few Dynamix goodies, test, release to us to test more.

etc, etc, etc

We could have had a lot of new things really well tested by now.

Oh well, it is what it is.  :D

What you say makes sense, to slowly integrate the additional features. I know quite a few have been waiting for the Docker 1.3 update.

https://github.com/limetech/dynamix/commit/f492b85d507274be9eaf46acb84da618c847a7b8

Sure looks like they bumped dynamix plugin check to only be beta-12.  Perhaps that's just for the next version though. *shrug* Or maybe the split the plugin between dynamix-core and 'dynamix-addon', but the code path is for plugins/dynamix/dynamix.plg .

The funny thing is they missed the comment change on line 22 and the display message implies it would work on beta-13 but the conditional check on line 24 means it will only work on beta-12.

Of course this all hear-say and conjecture since there hasn't been any communications about this.