Unraid not starting up

gnollo

I must have done something wrong when adding a disk.

Now when I press the power buttons the fans give a twirl, the unraid key lights up for a second, and then cpu, power supply and back fan stop spinning.

I have the three cables plugged in the motherboard, why is the unraid server not starting?

My mboard is the Intel d915gaglk.

Power supply a seasonic 430 power supply.

I've noticed on that particular board that the initial loading of the OS from the flash is pretty slow.  If you watch the led on the Flash it will light every second or so until finally the OS is loaded (about 13 sec I think). During this time there's a blank screen with just a cursor showing - very easy to deduce the system is "dead".

Also, check the boot sequence and make sure the flash is still the boot device.

I don't think that is the problem. there is something else wrong here. No fan going on the processor or on the power supply. None of the fans are spinning. The fans surely should be spinning even when booting, don't you agree?

On the Intel website I found the following

"Computer Does Not Boot - No Lights or Fans - Nothing Displayed on the Monitor"

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-010254.htm

I guess I have some work to do...

Ok, I used to have three hard disks in the system, installed another one. Well, it seems that my system powers up now if I have two hard disks powered up. When I connect the third hard disk (which has was my disk2 for the unraid server) with a power connector, the system doesn't boot.

If I connect instead of disk2 the new disk, the system starts up.

Any ideas? It would seem that something in the hard disk is causing the system to hang, with fans stopping spinning immediately.

To reboot the machine I have to unplug the power cable from the motherboard, reset the power switch is not enough....

I've had this when changing a drive of my 12 drive populated unraid.

I have a mix of 300's, 400's,  500's, and 3*750's. I am gradually replacing the old 300's with 750's as I fill the array. The last swap I tried to swop drive 3, a 300 with a new 750 and got the exact problem you have described. Fans spinning up and then the pc shutting down. In the last instance i swopped the 300 back to position 3 and then changed poition 11 with the 750 and this time it worked.

I suspect the psu is struggling although I have an enermax 660w.

No matter which power cable I use, if I connect it to the drive in question, the motherboard seems to hang. I only have three drives in the Unraid, no AGP or PCI card in yet, so it cannot be the power requirements.

Gotta be the drive. With 500 GB of ripped dvds and divxs on it. Now what? Unraid won't restore the drive.

I have two working disks in my unraid. One failed and had to be removed (disk2).

I added another disk but used a different SATA port on the motherboard.

After restarting it started a parity check, which I stopped.

Went to the devices page, and changed the disk2 dropdown to the new disk.

Rebooted, and that is what my main page now shows

1484723675_l.jpg

I have just restarted the unraid after changind the dis2 dropdown to unassigned, rebooted, and immediately parity synch starts.

Parity is still red. I stopped the parity synch as I am afraid it will wipe out all of the memory of the data from disk2 from the parity.

In the command area now it says parity disk invalid, and gives me an option to synch.

I feel like I am in big trouble here....

Depending on the effort needed to re-rip the DVDs... and your technical abilities... and the availability of a working IDENTICAL drive...

You might be able to swap the circuit board from the defective drive with a working board from an otherwise identical drive.  The odds are the failure are not mechanical, but electronic.  Then you could plug it in and get to your data.

This would void both warranties of course, but the data might be worth it to you.

As far as getting the data recovered via parity... Tom will have to advise... When a drive fails I'm pretty sure unRaid is not designed to restore it to a different slot in the array as you attempted, but I have no experience with the new version to draw upon, so I might be wrong (and you lucky)

Joe L.

Well, in terms of the data, unraid should be able to help me, it is precisely the reason I have used the unraid software in testing the new server. I cannot understand why the parity should be corrupted all of a sudden, just as I remove the drive. Should I let the parity check complete, with only one drive?

I use Seagate, bought them a couple of months ago, so I will get a replacement within warranty.

A little update on what NOT to do when you have a disk failing.

I added a disk to my unraid configuration.

To do that, as I don't have hotswap bays, I had to take down the server, add the hard disk, and restart it.

Problem is the server would not power up. It turns out that disk2 died of electronic death, and I think that it has some kind of short circuit that is causing the motherboard to crash (tested on two PCs).

Now what I DID WRONG. Instead of swapping the Sata cable over to the new hard disk, I kept the Sata cable for disk2 empty, and the new disk on the sata cable for disk3. Result? Unraid did not ask me to recreate disk2. I fiddled with the Devices page, swapping disk2 over to the new drive, and rebooted the server.

It told me that the selection was invalid, so I unselected the new drive from the disk2 drop down menu in the Devices page.

In a nutshell when I went back to the parity + disk1 configuration and rebooted, it started checking parity, which means I might be in trouble, because my parity might have been overwritten and I might be unable to recreate disk2.

A word to the wise. Read carefully the how to replace a drive guide, and in doubt, asf for help BEFORE you f@ck it up, as I did. Tom is trying to fix my config files, and I am extremely thankful for that, and I will let you know how it goes.

Tom, if parity was not to start automatically as it does now when you reboot the machine, would I have been saved from potential parity corruption?

No go. Tom and I made an attempt to fix the parity, but did not work. All data is lost on the drive but fortunately I have the original discs, so I will be able to transfer them back. I cannot blame unraid as I messed around with the drive replacement procedure, so the blame rests firmly with me.

Bummer.