XBMCbuntu VM - Some questions

Hi

So I have had my xbmcbuntu up and running smoothly for the past month with GPU and USB (for my FLIRC) passthrough. However I have some questions and suspect this would apply to any VM:

[*]Currently video playback lags when scraping for media info or rescanning folders. Is there anyway around this? I have 4 cpu's allocated with 3GB of RAM to the VM

[*]Currently my VM is running of my cache drive with is also used by sabnzbd and transmission to download files to. Do you think this could be impacting the item above and will replacing it with a SSD make a difference?

Thanks

If you have successfully passed through a Radeon card in KVM to XBMCBuntu, you may have just become my new best friend.  :D

I'll get back to that after we work on your issue...

I would suspect that it is more a matter of disk I/O than anything.  Can you move the XBMCBuntu VM to another drive outside the array and test?

For CPU/MEM, I have gotten away with 2 cores and 2GB of RAM and never had any stutters (XBMCBuntu Frodo in an ESXi VM).  I had 3 of these running at one point with at least 5 other VMs performing various tasks.  My datastore was 3x 128GB SSDs.

As far as scraping, I rely on third party scrapers (Media Center Master, Media Companion, etc.) rather than XBMC itself.

I prefer to save the metadata with the media files.  That way if/when I add another instance of XBMC the metadata is just sitting there (locally) waiting to be scraped.  This works especially well with using MySQL/MariaDB as a shared database and modifying the advancedsettings XML accordingly.

If you want to go that route and run into any snags, just ping me and I can give you a hand.

In the meantime you have a PM sitting in your inbox.  ;)

John