unVMs Status Update

jonp

UPDATE:

Pull request to the openelec team has been submitted!!

https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/pull/4215

And now we wait...

Sadly, that went about how I expected it... they just flat shut down anyone trying to run OE in a VM on their own forum.

It's really no big deal.  They even acknowledged the fact that our changes were pretty minimal / clean.  It just comes down to supportability and they don't have anyone on their team that would have this setup yet, so they don't want to imply that it is a supported use-case by the dev team.

The reality is that I don't necessarily blame them because of the history with supporting virtualization.  This is the nature of open source and we will support the project as a fork because for us to maintain it really requires very minimal effort.  In due time if we show enough adoption, maybe the OE team brings it under their wings directly.

Awesome, so whenever I get my GPU pass through figured out, I'd much rather run an OE VM than the space hogging Kodibuntu distro.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE:

Pull request to the openelec team has been submitted!!

https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/pull/4215

And now we wait...

Sadly, that went about how I expected it... they just flat shut down anyone trying to run OE in a VM on their own forum.

It's really no big deal.  They even acknowledged the fact that our changes were pretty minimal / clean.  It just comes down to supportability and they don't have anyone on their team that would have this setup yet, so they don't want to imply that it is a supported use-case by the dev team.

The reality is that I don't necessarily blame them because of the history with supporting virtualization.  This is the nature of open source and we will support the project as a fork because for us to maintain it really requires very minimal effort.  In due time if we show enough adoption, maybe the OE team brings it under their wings directly.

Or you could join the OpenElec team and support it directly for them.

That would work, right? :D

• 1 month later...