Migration To New File System

clevoir

I, and I'm sure a great many users, am now faced with the decision to change the file system of my existing array moving foward, and I also understand that the default file system for V6 is now XFS too

For use by  perhaps less technical users, is there a (foolproof ;)) guide or proceedure on how we can migrate the array / disk file system?

It would be fantastic if there was an option in the GUI to allow migration to new file systems without having to use Linux commands, which some of us are not familar with.

I myself have over 20TB which I want to move to XFS, athed don't fancy messing it up, with having to reload all my files from scratch!!!

Thanks but I need something far more basic, hopefully automated without the use of Linux :)

I assume that I need to purchase one more disk to allow copying between discs?

What happens if I have different hard disk capacities?

Say I have a 1TB disk (Disk1), I copy it's contents onto say a 4TB new hard disk, which I assume becomes the new disk1? I am then only left with a 1TB hard disk to perform the same operation with the next disk. What happens if the next disk to copy is 2TB, my new 1TB disk is going to be too small???

For use by  perhaps less technical users, is there a (foolproof ;)) guide or proceedure on how we can migrate the array / disk file system?

This worked for me...

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=35544.msg331110#msg331110

That rsync command scares me a bit...particularly the argument that deletes the source files.  God forbid that the target drive takes a dump (a hard failure) anytime during the process.