unRAID 6 Virtualized

Hi all,

Finally getting around to upgrading to 6 since it seems so close to production. However, I noticed that Zeron hasn't updated VMtools in quite some time for v6. Anyone know of any pitfalls with upgrading to v6 running ESXi 5.1 I should be aware of? I know I'll have to do a plugin overhaul but does it generally run flawlessly? Thx for all of your help.

• 4 weeks later...

SWEET!!!

Do you have the vmware tools installed for unRAID 6? Was there a version available?

No. There isn't one out there that works for v6.  I tried compling one, but I just don't know enough about linux to make it work.

That being said, I have run unRAID as a guest on ESXi for more than a year now without a single hiccup (ESXi related).  I too have no issues running Dockers.

I'm running the latest 6beta12 on ESXi5.1 and its working fine. Updated almost all my plugins to dockers and I like it. See attached network diagram for my setup.

- NinthWalker

Do you use a docker to record from your TV tuner?  When v6 goes to RC or Final I will finally upgrade the only thing is I have PCIe tuners that will need to be passed through to a full windows VM I like to use Argus TV, or I will have to buy a couple network tuners and use a different docker based recorder.

Do you use a docker to record from your TV tuner?  When v6 goes to RC or Final I will finally upgrade the only thing is I have PCIe tuners that will need to be passed through to a full windows VM I like to use Argus TV, or I will have to buy a couple network tuners and use a different docker based recorder.

I have an Intel NUC I use as an HTPC. I still use Windows MC for the TV part as I like that better than XBMC(Kodi) DVR integrations.

I use XBMC as my frontend with links to 'Netflix' and 'Live TV' that open up WMC directly and then goes back to XBMC after it closes.

So the hdhomerun just sends the signal to WMC, which records on a local HDD in the NUC. I only use it for sports or live TV these days, as every TV show I watch is downloaded automatically with SickRage and placed in XBMC for me. If it wasn't for football season I wouldn't even need the tuner.

So unRAID isn't really a part of the TV tuner/live tv setup as I don't save sports or the live tv shows I watch. All the sickrage and couchpotato and everything though is stored on unRAID.

I have an Intel NUC I use as an HTPC. I still use Windows MC for the TV part as I like that better than XBMC(Kodi) DVR integrations.

I use XBMC as my frontend with links to 'Netflix' and 'Live TV' that open up WMC directly and then goes back to XBMC after it closes.

So the hdhomerun just sends the signal to WMC, which records on a local HDD in the NUC. I only use it for sports or live TV these days, as every TV show I watch is downloaded automatically with SickRage and placed in XBMC for me. If it wasn't for football season I wouldn't even need the tuner.

So unRAID isn't really a part of the TV tuner/live tv setup as I don't save sports or the live tv shows I watch. All the sickrage and couchpotato and everything though is stored on unRAID.

My current setup is a ESXi server running unRAID VM and Windows 8.1 VM for recording/streaming live TV as I have multiple TVs to serve just MCE wouldn't work I had to use MCE as a PVR backend and XBMC as the front end on the clients.  I found the MCE didn't do everything I wanted like be able to save to a network drive so I switched to Argus TV it was much harder to setup but I get everything I want out of it.  As I have PCIe tuners I have to use a full fledged hypervisor to pass through the tuners to the VM, if I were to get the HomerunHDs I could go to having unraid as the main OS with a TVheadend docker or unRAID as the main OS and use KVM (if it is going to be in the final) with a windows VM for Argus TV and continue to use the tuners I have.

• 1 month later...

Guess I know what my future project is....

Offtopic, but Ninthwalker, what did you use to make such, ahem, nifty graphics of your network?

Thanks in advance!

I used Microsoft Visio as that is what I use at work for network diagrams.

But rather than using the dumb little icons, I just googled for images of my exact models of modem,router,PC's,etc. and put them into Visio.

=)