[DOCKER] Super easy to setup OPENVPN server

spants

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't get this thing to start.

Please try with

Repository: kylemanna/openvpn

Docker Hub URL: https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/kylemanna/openvpn/dockerfile/

WebUI: Keep the default line, and only change the IP so http://[iP:1194] or whatever that syntax is.

Paths: /etc/openvpn --> /mnt/cache/appdata/openvpn       

Port: 1194 --> 1194

and also add the variables

ENV OPENVPN /etc/openvpn

ENV EASYRSA /usr/local/share/easy-rsa/easyrsa3

ENV EASYRSA_PKI $OPENVPN/pki

ENV EASYRSA_VARS_FILE $OPENVPN/vars

By doing all this, I was able to get the docker running. But I dont have web UI and I dont know what to do next from here, LOL

• 1 month later...

here are the step-by-step commands as I just had to reinstall:

It creates two dockers, one to hold the data and one is the app. Do not manually delete any!. You could change the data volume for a directory if you wish:

docker run --name OVPN_DATA -v /etc/openvpn busybox

docker run --volumes-from OVPN_DATA --rm kylemanna/openvpn ovpn_genconfig -u udp://YOURSERVER.COM

docker run --volumes-from OVPN_DATA --rm -it kylemanna/openvpn ovpn_initpki

docker run --volumes-from OVPN_DATA -d -p 1194:1194/udp --cap-add=NET_ADMIN kylemanna/openvpn

docker run --volumes-from OVPN_DATA --rm -it kylemanna/openvpn easyrsa build-client-full CLIENTNAME nopass

//this last line saves the ovpn connection file to the current directory (needed for the client)

docker run --volumes-from OVPN_DATA --rm kylemanna/openvpn ovpn_getclient CLIENTNAME > CLIENTNAME.ovpn

Change CLIENTNAME and YOURSERVER to suit.

Tony

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I am looking at the feasibility of running OpenVPN Server in a Docker on my MainServer once I upgrade to v6.x as I don't want to use my router.

I am concerned a little about the Dockers especially with things like this which use OpenSSL etc (which might need updating due to exploits etc) so my questions are:

- Has this Docker been thoroughly tested;

- Is it regularly maintained / updated and if so is the maintainer part of the Unraid community;

- Is it part of an Unraid supported repository or similar?

Any information would be appreciated

Thanks

Daniel

• 1 year later...

Newbie here.

I have a few applications that are currently running via docker that I would like to route through OPENVPN.  Would it be possible to route traffic from one DOCKER APP through another Docker App?

I've considered hardware alternatives, but the only thing I really want to route through the VPN is one or two Docker Applications, all other network traffic i'm ok with being direct.

Dont want to hijack this thread as its specific to openVPN only, but if you after running Deluge in conjunction with OpenVPN in a Docker then take a look at my docker repository at https://github.com/binhex/docker-templates, docker is called "binhex-delugevpn" any support questions please post here:- http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=38055.0

Not wanting to hijack thread either, but with Binhex's delugevpn (or sabnzbdvpn) I don't see the need for this docker really. Even if you don't use Deluge, the OpenVPN server is fairly straightforward and Binhex fully supports his App. My two cents.

• 3 months later...

Those VPN dockers appear to be for running a local service behind a remote VPN. This docker is for running a local VPN for connecting back in to your network, say, to access services within your own network from a remote host, or protecting your traffic while behind an open WiFi access point without having to pay for a separate VPN service.

We're all bumping a thread that's quite old.

This is an OpenVPN SERVER for connecting to your home network remotely (& securely)

Binhex's DelugeVPN connects to a paid VPN service to anonymise your Internet traffic.

Completely separate beasts.

If you want an OpenVPN server then I'd (obviously) recommend OpenVPN-AS  ;)

We're all bumping a thread that's quite old.

This is an OpenVPN SERVER for connecting to your home network remotely (& securely)

Binhex's DelugeVPN connects to a paid VPN service to anonymise your Internet traffic.

Completely separate beasts.

If you want an OpenVPN server then I'd (obviously) recommend OpenVPN-AS  ;)

Agreed! I dont use this anymore as I upgraded my router and run the openvpn server on it.

• 1 month later...