Another first time unRAID build!!!

ACEDDAUQS

CPU: i5-4430

Motherboard: Asus H87i-Plus

RAM:Crucial Ballistix 16gb

Case:Fractal Design 304

Power Supply: Corsair CSM550 (Ordered Seasonic S12II 430B but they sent wrong one)

HDD/SSD: Samsung 840 Evo (Cache?), 3 WD 4tb Green, 2 WD 6tb Red

Most hardware I already had ( pretty much everything but MB). Im still reading up on installing and setting up unRAID. What do you guys think? Also tips on how I should have my drives set up would be much appreciated. Im still figuring that part out.

I will being using this build for Plex and everything else that I need backed up. Just had my storage drive in my main rig crap out on me and I lost everything on it. So I was forced to start on my NAS build before I could get all the parts that I wanted ( ECC MB/ Ram and more drives etc.)

Looks like you are about ready to get started.  Do you have a USB stick for unRAID?  You can run up to 3 drives on the free license, beyond that you'll need a paid license.

One of the 6TB drives will need to be your parity drive, the others will be data drives.  If you have a lot of data to copy over (doesn't sound like it  :() it can be faster to run without parity during the copy.  You didn't mention how big the SSD is, but they are commonly used for the ache/application drive.  Read up on trim support depending on which version you will be running.

Do you intend to use the production stable unRAID 5.06 or try the beta 6-beta10a software?

Looks like you are about ready to get started.  Do you have a USB stick for unRAID?  You can run up to 3 drives on the free license, beyond that you'll need a paid license.

One of the 6TB drives will need to be your parity drive, the others will be data drives.  If you have a lot of data to copy over (doesn't sound like it  :() it can be faster to run without parity during the copy.  You didn't mention how big the SSD is, but they are commonly used for the ache/application drive.  Read up on trim support depending on which version you will be running.

Do you intend to use the production stable unRAID 5.06 or try the beta 6-beta10a software?

Thanks for responding tdallen. Yes I do have a USB stick specifically for this build. Im still debating on which license I would need. Leaning towards just starting with the plus, but not sure.

The SSD is a 250gb drive. I went ahead and installed it, so cache/app drive it is.

As far as the software version, I am still debating. What is you input on the subject? How close is the stable version of the 6?

I'd suggest the beta. It is stable as quite a number of users have been running it for about 2 months without issue. As a new user on a new server you will be testing it out as we all did when our servers were new. Dockers and ability to utilize all of your RAM (64 bit) are significant features.

Note that there are some defects/"features" known to both 6.0 and 5.0 that you should be aware of, including the user share copy issue. I'd take the time to read our ask on the forums to avoid them.

I have been using unRAID for less than a year, so I don't have a good history with the release cycle.  That said, I would guess that we are still several months away from the production release of unRAID 6.  As bjp999 mentioned, though, many people are using the beta successfully.  If you are inclined to tinker I'd start with the beta and evaluate it on your hardware. If it works, great.  If not, drop back to 5.06.

Another important thing to remember about betas.  They are betas because the developer does not think that he has all of the problems out of the product.  So if you decide to use a beta release on a production that is a small chance the you might be putting your data at risk.  You should also commit to follow each new release thread and see if any problems are found and, if there are problems, determine if you can live with the problem.  You will also have to commit to update to each new release as the come out until the official final release comes out.  (Having said that, you don't have to upgrade the first day that the next beta comes out.  You might well be more comfortable waiting a few days to see that a major issue is not in that release.)

If you don't have the time to dedicate to monitoring a beta release, you might be better served to go with 5.06 and wait until the final release of ver 6 comes along.  (Based on what has happened in the past, I really don't expect to see it before late in the second quarter of next year.)

Thanks for the responses guys  ;D

I read up more on the beta and decided to take the plunge and go that route. I like the potential that it brings, and the fact that it is the direction that unRAID is going.

I wont be able to complete the build/install until Monday. I can't wait. I really appreciate all the feedback.