WD 6TB Red WD60EFRX $260 delivered tigerdirect

dabl

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9149259&CatId=4357

So merely matching the lowest price these have gone for over the past month or so. 

Black Friday has been a bit of a disappointment for me so far.

I do need to buy one of these asap though.

The question is pull the trigger today or wait to see if cyber monday brings a better deal and risk missing out?

Since this is another Tiger Direct deal, decided to repost this information:

Paypal has $25 off all Tiger Direct orders over $100 (no code needed).

I have a free Shoprunner account for having my AmEx card stored with ShopRunner... giving free shipping from Tiger Direct right now. Here are 2 links with details on this if you want to see if you can qualify for the free account:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/shoprunner.html

https://www.shoprunner.com/americanexpress

I used both of these on the HP microserver, but this hard drive also qualifies for both deals. I was hoping for better hard drive deals today also, but do still have one extra I purchased last year as a spare. Maybe "Cyber Monday" will have some better deals on HDs?

• 2 weeks later...

I order this drive and got the $25 off for using Paypal. The cost was $235 delivered - no shipping, no tax. What a deal!

The drive is in a retail blister pack, the blister pack is in a 12"x15"x6" box with air-filled bags that are completely flat. The bags have small tears in them from the sharp edges of the blister pack. The blister pack itself has bent corners and one part is compressed. The drive has undergone lots of impacts from UPS and USPS handling.

It may have been a good drive when shipped, but probably has been subjected to G forces out of spec. It's going back. What a disappointment.

Yep, I too was fairly horrified when I received the package, heard the insides jostling around and opened it to find the blister pack surrounded by only a few packing pillows.

I had better luck and my packing pillows were still inflated and the blister pack 'looks' fine, but as you say who knows about the drive.

I'm going to go ahead and run a preclear on it and see where it's at.

If it has problems does anybody have any experience RMA'ing a drive to tigerdirect after opening it etc?

I order this drive and got the $25 off for using Paypal. The cost was $235 delivered - no shipping, no tax. What a deal!

The drive is in a retail blister pack, the blister pack is in a 12"x15"x6" box with air-filled bags that are completely flat. The bags have small tears in them from the sharp edges of the blister pack. The blister pack itself has bent corners and one part is compressed. The drive has undergone lots of impacts from UPS and USPS handling.

It may have been a good drive when shipped, but probably has been subjected to G forces out of spec. It's going back. What a disappointment.

It's important to do a few smart tests before you do anything with the drive.

i.e.

capture the smart log with

smartctl -a /dev/sd?

Then do smart conveyance test if the drive accepts it. This is supposed to check the drive for mechanical defects in shipping.

smartctl -t conveyance

(that's not too long of a test)

then do a smart long test.

smartctl -t long

This will take hours. when you look at the smartctl -a output it tells you the estimate of how long it takes.

When you submit the long test it tells you when it will be done. Consider 7-9 hours for the 6tb drive.

after that do the preclear for a few passes,

then another smart long test.

Capture the smartctl -a /dev/sd? output again.

Diff the start/end. Although the preclear script does allot of that for you.

The smart tests use the firmware algorithms determined by the manufacture.

I would diff the start before testing and at the end of all testing to determine if the drive is/was worthy for my array.

The Conveyance Self-test: Conveyance self-test is intended to identify damage incurred during transporting of the drive.

The Short Self-test: Short self-test consists of a collection of test routines that have the highest chance of detecting drive problems. Its result is reported in the Self-test Log. Note that this test is in no way comprehensive. Its main purpose is to detect totally damaged drives without running the full surface scan.

The Extended Self-test: Extended self-test examines complete disk surface and performs various test routines built into the drive. Its result is reported in the Self-test Log.