Docker template for Home Assistant - Python 3 home automation

• 2 weeks later...

Scratch my last comment. If i set network type to "Bridge" instead of "Host", Home Assistant "Discovery" does not work for some reason.  None of my devices cannot be discovered like sonos.

I had to also remove the port mapping since it's in host mode since it's not necessary. Default port of 8123 works fine to load webui

• 2 weeks later...

Love this docker. The more I get used to it the better it gets.

However, I'm having an issue with my options.xml that is stored in the container. I need that .xml to contain my secure key for my deadbolt and every time the docker updates it overwrites the file.

Is there any way to direct the docker to look for it in the config folder?

can someone help me configure smartthings please. 

I've installed HA, Mosca and smartthings-mqtt-bridge as per this post https://home-assistant.io/blog/2016/02/09/Smarter-Smart-Things-with-MQTT-and-Home-Assistant/ and I'm seeing ST talking to the bridge in the bridge logs, but my devices aren't appearing in ST:

configuration.yaml:

mqtt:
  broker: localhost
  port: 1883

config.yml

mqtt:
  host: 192.168.1.10
  port: 8080

c769fb398693db63b7c21c0846517e52a8f6bb22.png

Love this docker. The more I get used to it the better it gets.

However, I'm having an issue with my options.xml that is stored in the container. I need that .xml to contain my secure key for my deadbolt and every time the docker updates it overwrites the file.

Is there any way to direct the docker to look for it in the config folder?

This issue is resolved in the community.home-assistant.io forums.

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/docker-zwave-secure-add-device/5622

Check this out!

• 2 weeks later...

Im curious, with this Docker (or any other Docker where config files are changed), how do you edit your files with a text editor?

Obviously vim can be used from terminal, but I'd rather mount my appdata share and use a decent text editor to make changes to config files. What is the best way of doing this? I was getting permission errors sometimes while mounting through SMB.

Same question here. Anyone have some tips?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Im curious, with this Docker (or any other Docker where config files are changed), how do you edit your files with a text editor?

Obviously vim can be used from terminal, but I'd rather mount my appdata share and use a decent text editor to make changes to config files. What is the best way of doing this? I was getting permission errors sometimes while mounting through SMB.

Same question here. Anyone have some tips?

Thanks!

Give the user rw access

chmod 666 configuration.yaml

for example

I wanted to poll the group on what people are doing passing through USB devices to this container, more specifically the Aeon Labs ZW090 Z Stick.  When testing out this installation in the past, I had issues where the USB port for the device would switch after a reboot of the Unraid server (ie ttyACM0 to ttyACM1).  This of course, breaks HA's configuration and requires a change to the config files for the device to function again.

Is there any kind of more permanent solution to this case?  Is there a way, to force the USB device to always use the same port?  I have HA running on a raspberry pi2 at the moment and things are working fine (other than having to use a separate physical device).  I would much rather run this app on my Unraid server.

I appreciate the feedback and other's experiences.

4 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Passing through an entire USB controller instead of the individual device should work.

I will give this approach a try, thanks!

Out of curiosity, how does passing through the controller vs the specific USB device prevent the issue that I have seen?

Thanks for your help

28 minutes ago, indy5 said:

I will give this approach a try, thanks!

Out of curiosity, how does passing through the controller vs the specific USB device prevent the issue that I have seen?

Thanks for your help

Honestly, I was thinking you were talking about a VM, not a docker, but the same principle should apply. Problem is, I'm not sure there is a way to pass an entire controller to a docker. In the case of a VM, when you pass the entire controller then the guest VM assigns the ID to the USB device, and can control it directly. When you rely on the host OS to ID the device, the ID will change, as you found out. I don't know if you can even do what you need in a docker.

• 5 months later...
On 2/24/2017 at 11:50 AM, indy5 said:

Is there any kind of more permanent solution to this case?  Is there a way, to force the USB device to always use the same port?  I have HA running on a raspberry pi2 at the moment and things are working fine (other than having to use a separate physical device).  I would much rather run this app on my Unraid server.

necro response since this thread came up first on a search for hass 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone else have trouble getting this docker to work as host, rather than bridge?  If I set as bridge, I can port 8123 over to 8123 and then log in to the Web UI with http://serverip:8123.

When I change to host, the same IP no longer works.  The log shows everything loading, and most importantly, HASS Discovery doing it's job.  But for some reason, I can't access the UI.

On 8/29/2017 at 9:37 AM, Living Legend said:

Anyone else have trouble getting this docker to work as host, rather than bridge?  If I set as bridge, I can port 8123 over to 8123 and then log in to the Web UI with http://serverip:8123.

When I change to host, the same IP no longer works.  The log shows everything loading, and most importantly, HASS Discovery doing it's job.  But for some reason, I can't access the UI.

It works for me. Is something else using that port?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I recently had a problem with one of my z-wave devices.

There was an issue that was resolved with updating manufacturer_specific.xml.  It looks like this docker is using an older version of this file.  

For anyone interested, I went into the docker and changed to this location:
/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/python_openzwave/ozw_config

and overwrote the file with this:

https://github.com/OpenZWave/open-zwave/blob/master/config/manufacturer_specific.xml

In my case, it was a Z-Wave Radio Thermostat CT100Plus that was being improperly identified due to an older version of this file not containing the proper product type and ID.

Edited by Living Legend