Dynamix - V6 Plugins

A quick question about the plugin on a btrfs ssd cache pool. I am considering extending my single ssd cache to a btrfs cache pool for some fault tolerance of my cache (still running my apps and bn from a single ssd from Unassigned Devices) but will this plugin execute the TRIM command on both SSD's in such a pool?

Yes, it will. The cache pool is seen as a single disk (/mnt/cache) and the trim operation works on all disks in the pool. In case you wonder: I have a SSD cache pool myself.

Sweet - thank you! :)

Hi. Does the TRIM plugin work on unassigned SSD drives? I did install the plugin and the description indicates it is a CRON job using fstrim on the cache drive. Where is it adding the cron job, I may want to add my unassigned drive in there also. I checked all my cron folders and didn't see any changes but then I also do not have a cache drive. I thought I would at least see fstrim command in the /etc/cron.d folder.

The plugin works with cache disks only. The command is stored in the file /config/plugins/dynamix/ssd-trim.cron on your flash device. You can edit the file, but since this file is auto-generated all manual changes will be lost once an update from the GUI is done.

I currently copy my ftp's configuration in the GO file, so on every boot the vsftpd.conf is always configured for me. We could do the same for this maybe? I'd rather not have to manually edit anything and have unraid work out of the box for my specific needs, but as we get to that point a few manually edits need to be done I guess.

By the way, I did install this plugin and that files doesn't exist. I also checked the folder dynamix.ssd.trim and other folders as well. I do not run a cache drive, so maybe the plugin installs but doesn't create the associated files? I also believe I have remnants of older NerdPack source files and other plugins that haven't removed entirely. Starting to look like a mess in the config folder, but I don't know what's dependent on what, so everything stays now.

By the way, I did install this plugin and that files doesn't exist. I also checked the folder dynamix.ssd.trim and other folders as well. I do not run a cache drive, so maybe the plugin installs but doesn't create the associated files?

When there is no cache drive present in your system, no files are created.

When there is no cache drive present in your system, no files are created.

I just installed the SSD Trim plugin, but could not find any way to configure settings in the GUI.  Basically no icon for it on the settings page (or anywhere else I looked).  Which prompted a removal, reboot and reinstall.  Still no luck.  A quick search lead me to the above comment.

I do have a SSD cache drive but it is not creating the ssd-trim.cron you mention a few posts up.  Any ideas as to why I am seeing this behavior?  I am sure more information about my setup is required.  I just don't know which outputs to provide :o

settings are under Scheduler. Then look for log entries like this for the day/time you set:

Tower logger: /mnt/cache: 42247516160 bytes were trimmed

Thank you interwebtech!  I knew I had to be missing something simple, but I am a simple minded simple man.

I obviously didn't find that info anywhere.  Guess I was looking in the wrong place, as always.  Maybe it could be added to the plugin description in the first post here and in the Community App description.

I have just updated System Stats from 2015.12.19b to 2016.01.13. I noticed that the nice feature - "Placement of Stats menu" - allows the menu to move away from the header. As you know I have issues with space on Safari on my iDevices. Nice that you have given more ability to adapt to the top menu.

Unfortunately it didn't work. Then I noticed this in the release notes:  (requires unRAID 6.1.7 or higher)

Is this a typo or are we expecting a pending release?

Screen_Shot_2016-01-14_at_8_19.31_AM.png.d8a321219e1fa36d4bf2f212af4041c3.png

No, it's not a typo. The feature is disabled for the current release.

I usually update all my current plugins I have, should we now be looking at the info file to see if it is for a future release of unRaid and won't work? I just don't want to break a plugin that is working already.

I usually update all my current plugins I have, should we now be looking at the info file to see if it is for a future release of unRaid and won't work? I just don't want to break a plugin that is working already.

The plugin works on the current version of unRAID, only the new feature doesn't, which means you can't reposition the Stats menu yet...

The plugin works on the current version of unRAID, only the new feature doesn't, which means you can't reposition the Stats menu yet...

Gotcha bonienl! Thanks for clarification.

Hi,

Firstly, thanks for the plethora of amazing plugins you've created - couldn't live without them!

I've just installed the TRIM plugin (Just realised it existed). My Sandisk is dying I think as I realised it doesn't have native garbage collection (Model number: SDSSDP128G)

Error received via email:

fstrim: /mnt/cache: FITRIM ioctl failed: Input/output error

The error in the logs:

Jan 16 19:35:31 unRAID kernel: sd 14:0:0:0: [sdc] UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08

Jan 16 19:35:31 unRAID kernel: sd 14:0:0:0: [sdc] Sense Key : 0x5 [current]

Jan 16 19:35:31 unRAID kernel: sd 14:0:0:0: [sdc] ASC=0x21 ASCQ=0x0

Jan 16 19:35:31 unRAID kernel: sd 14:0:0:0: [sdc] CDB: opcode=0x42 42 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 18 00

Jan 16 19:35:31 unRAID kernel: blk_update_request: critical target error, dev sdc, sector 247071178

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

First confirm your SSD has TRIM support:

hdparm -I /dev/sdX

Look for:

* Data Set Management TRIM supported (limit 8 blocks)

If it does your possibly using an HBA that doesn't support FSTRIM, e.g., LSI9211-8i.

I was actually just googling my issue and figured the same - it's my SAS card... :-(

Seems I need to seek out an alternative cache drive... Damn it.

Now I'm also concerned about the datastore SSD I use in ESXi.

Any ideas?

First confirm your SSD has TRIM support:

hdparm -I /dev/sdX

Look for:

* Data Set Management TRIM supported (limit 8 blocks)

If it does your possibly using an HBA that doesn't support FSTRIM, e.g., LSI9211-8i.

If the SSD drive supports TRIM and the controller card does not will it still function because the SSD drive itself supports it natively?

EDIT: If the mega raid SAS 2008 chipset doesn't support TRIM via passthru I assume that would be lots of users.

If the SSD drive supports TRIM and the controller card does not will it still function because the SSD drive itself supports it natively?

Fstrim won't work,  you'll get

fstrim: /mnt/cache: FITRIM ioctl failed: Input/output error

Confirmed. I tried it manually on an unassigned drive and no good. I'm not educated enough to know what happens when no TRIM is supported but if users are running VM's and dockers on SSD's with no TRIM support maybe they will notice performance decreases or longevity of the drives.

root@SUN:/mnt# fstrim /mnt/ssd840

fstrim: /mnt/ssd840: FITRIM ioctl failed: Operation not supported

root@SUN:/mnt#

Hi

Quick question - is there an API over any of the plugins?

If possible I'd love to have API for Active Streams (rest/json?) - so that I can write a Windows desktop widget that aggregates active streams from my two UNRAID instances. And performance metrics (as a thought).

Thanks!