Dynamix - V6 Plugins

Not positive, but I don't think you can configure it that way. AFAIK it will only allow you to configure certain system schedules. It is possible to use .cron files to run a script on a schedule though. https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=43289.0

I already have it installed via the manual Plugin download. Still dont know where to go to configure it to run a file though

You can either use the .cron method as described in wgstark's link, or alternatively if you want it to run hourly and be able to use the scheduler to manage it, within your config/go file, copy the script to /etc/cron.hourly

When you go to fixed schedules, you will see your script listed there.

Yea I'm currently using the .cron file method.

For the alternative, won't editing/etc/cron.hourly just be removed after each restart? And where can I view the scheduler? Is it in \\tower\? I'm not familiar where the GUI is, sorry!

within your go file (/boot/config/go) you would add something like

cp /boot/myScript.sh /etc/cron.hourly/myScript.sh

Using the .cron method is probably preferable, but tossing scripts via go into cron.hourly / daily/ weekly / monthly does allow you to easily adjust the time of execution fast (albeit for all of them at a time)

And once you have the schedules plugin installed, under settings / schedules there will be a new tab called Fixed Schedules

Yea I'm currently using the .cron file method.

For the alternative, won't editing/etc/cron.hourly just be removed after each restart? And where can I view the scheduler? Is it in \\tower\? I'm not familiar where the GUI is, sorry!

within your go file (/boot/config/go) you would add something like

cp /boot/myScript.sh /etc/cron.hourly/myScript.sh

Using the .cron method is probably preferable, but tossing scripts via go into cron.hourly / daily/ weekly / monthly does allow you to easily adjust the time of execution fast (albeit for all of them at a time)

And once you have the schedules plugin installed, under settings / schedules there will be a new tab called Fixed Schedules

Thank you very much! Ah now I get it..so that's what you meant by copying the script. Also it is under Settings / Scheduler / Fixed Schedules (the naming for Dynamix Schedules threw me off). You guys should put it in the first posts under the Schedule section, it would help newcomers too. Appreciate your help :)

Hi,

Is it possible for the Active Streams plugin to show which disk the file that is being accessed is on rather than just the share?  It would be very useful to know which disk was being accessed (so I can see if it is worth moving commonly accessed files onto different disks to prevent thrashing for example)

Additionally could we have it it available on the Dashboard page in place of the list of Shares?  The list of shares doesn't really change but the list of active files on the Dashboard would be incredibly useful..

Thanks

Geez, I have no clue what I'm drinking today, because I STILL didn't see it when I went back to the page because I was convinced that you were somehow wrong!  Maybe I need to get my glasses updated...

Worth pointing out that you can set over-rides for individual disks by going to the settings for that disk (in case you also missed those  :))

And now my day is complete!  Thank you very much for that sir!  Now my enormous drives will let me know when they get truly low on space and my cache drive will let me know when sonarr has went on a frenzy before the mover could kick in to give cache some wiggle room back.

I got the same problem as you, but I wonder, what am I supposed to do when my disk is getting low on space? I have 1x 2TB getting full and 2x 500GB free, how can I transfer data to the other disks? Doesn't unraid do that automatically? Thanks

I got the same problem as you, but I wonder, what am I supposed to do when my disk is getting low on space? I have 1x 2TB getting full and 2x 500GB free, how can I transfer data to the other disks? Doesn't unraid to that automatically? Thanks

unRaid will fill the disks according to the allocation method you have set for the share.

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual_6#Shares

I got the same problem as you, but I wonder, what am I supposed to do when my disk is getting low on space? I have 1x 2TB getting full and 2x 500GB free, how can I transfer data to the other disks? Doesn't unraid to that automatically? Thanks

As wgstarks said, allocation method controls where files are written, but after written unRAID will not move them. If you want to move them yourself the unBalance plugin might help.

As wgstarks said, allocation method controls where files are written, but after written unRAID will not move them. If you want to move them yourself the unBalance plugin might help.

Okey, Thanks wgstarks and trurl.

I see I have the standard "High-Water" option chosen.

But I will buy 1x new 4TB and remove my 2x 500GB drives, is the best way to do this by shrinking the array (removing the 2x 500GB disks) first and then add my new 4TB as normal? http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Shrink_array

Okey, Thanks wgstarks and trurl.

I see I have the standard "High-Water" option chosen.

But I will buy 1x new 4TB and remove my 2x 500GB drives, is the best way to do this by shrinking the array (removing the 2x 500GB disks) first and then add my new 4TB as normal? http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Shrink_array

This one might be more appropriate:

Replacing Multiple Data Drives with a Single Larger Drive

Apologies if this has been asked before.

I use unassigned devices plugin and dont have any drives in the unraid array or cache. Is it possible for the 'system statistic' plugin to view the storage usage/performance for the drives managed by the unassigned devices plugin? At present the plugin shows that I have 6 drives but displays 0B/s for all of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.  I just upgraded to Pro 6.1.9 from 5.0.6.  I have the same question as stourwalk.  I had a script on unMenu that Joe had written that would show the active stream including the disk number. I was not planning on reinstalling unMenu.  Is there a way to have the active stream include the disk number?

Thanks!

Hi,

Is it possible for the Active Streams plugin to show which disk the file that is being accessed is on rather than just the share?  It would be very useful to know which disk was being accessed (so I can see if it is worth moving commonly accessed files onto different disks to prevent thrashing for example)

Additionally could we have it it available on the Dashboard page in place of the list of Shares?  The list of shares doesn't really change but the list of active files on the Dashboard would be incredibly useful..

Thanks

I installed the local master plugin.  Do you have to reboot the server after installing these?  I'm using version 6.1.4.  Anyway, the local master plugin indicates it's installed on the plugin page.  However, if I go to settings, network services, SMB, nothing new is there.  (I assume this is where SMB Workgroup settings would be?)  I have also set the server as the local master, but I cannot find that yoda symbol anywhere.  The syslog indicates a normal plugin installation with no errors.

Am I looking in the right spots for these indications?  If so, should I uninstall and reinstall the plugin?

I installed the local master plugin.  Do you have to reboot the server after installing these?  I'm using version 6.1.4.  Anyway, the local master plugin indicates it's installed on the plugin page.  However, if I go to settings, network services, SMB, nothing new is there.  (I assume this is where SMB Workgroup settings would be?)  I have also set the server as the local master, but I cannot find that yoda symbol anywhere.  The syslog indicates a normal plugin installation with no errors.

Am I looking in the right spots for these indications?  If so, should I uninstall and reinstall the plugin?

This is what you should be seeing:

LocMasServer.jpg.0e8a1b36cd3a6e661d7d71b455f00f7c.jpg

MasWorkgroup.jpg.83ab16e836779f39e75f167a5c0e36e4.jpg

NonLocMasServer.jpg.e26c964daa6e83b9fd17c4c424f73704.jpg

NonWorkgroup.jpg.8b1261789469e3093e2e13ebef27a825.jpg

Except that normally you would expect Rose also to be a candidate for election to local master, in case Elsie1 goes off-line for some reason. In other words, I would set Local master browser to Yes on both servers. Doing so simply makes them both available, without forcing either. Perhaps "Local master browser candidate" would be a less confusing name.

Except that normally you would expect Rose also to be a candidate for election to local master, in case Elsie1 goes off-line for some reason. In other words, I would set Local master browser to Yes on both servers. Doing so simply makes them both available, without forcing either. Perhaps "Local master browser candidate" would be a less confusing name.

You have an excellent point.  However, there can be reasons why you might not want a particular server to be a candidate. 

First one is that (and in my case) Server Rose is my test bed.  It shutdown down rather regularly.  It gets rebooted a couple of times a week.  From that standpoint, it almost as bad as the Windows clients that are on the network. 

Second thing to consider is how many servers does a network contain.  The more servers that you make eligible, the more likely that that a new server will be elected periodically.  I have always noticed that SMB networks are much more stable when the same Local Master is always assigned for each Workgroup.  If that server goes down, then one can activate easily another server to serve as the Local Master if the primary server can not be restored quickly.  (There are ways to influence the election but it requires some planning and some knowledge of how SMB is implemented.)

Before I had a permanent Local Master on my SMB network, it was always a crap shoot as to whether I could find all of the SMB connected devices on any given day.

You have an excellent point.  However, there can be reasons why you might not want a particular server to be a candidate. 

First one is that (and in my case) Server Rose is my test bed.  It shutdown down rather regularly.  It gets rebooted a couple of times a week.  From that standpoint, it almost as bad as the Windows clients that are on the network. 

Second thing to consider is how many servers does a network contain.  The more servers that you make eligible, the more likely that that a new server will be elected periodically.  I have always noticed that SMB networks are much more stable when the same Local Master is always assigned for each Workgroup.  If that server goes down, then one can activate easily another server to serve as the Local Master if the primary server can not be restored quickly.  (There are ways to influence the election but it requires some planning and some knowledge of how SMB is implemented.)

Before I had a permanent Local Master on my SMB network, it was always a crap shoot as to whether I could find all of the SMB connected devices on any given day.

I was sure you must have a good reason for not including that sever. Thanks for the explanation. It makes good sense.

Also, how does having an unraid server and gateway (eg, wireless modem) on the same network affect this?  Are they both masters?  I had to make my unraid server a master, as none of my Windows computers could find it.  Once I made it a master, they all found it.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin, and still I get nothing.  Here's my syslog:

Apr 26 06:40:01 Data emhttp: cmd: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.plugin.manager/scripts/plugin remove dynamix.local.master.plg

Apr 26 06:40:01 Data logger: plugin: running: anonymous

Apr 26 06:41:19 Data emhttp: cmd: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.plugin.manager/scripts/plugin install https://raw.github.com/bergware/dynamix/master/unRAIDv6/dynamix.local.master.plg

Apr 26 06:41:19 Data logger: plugin: running: anonymous

Apr 26 06:41:19 Data logger: plugin: creating: /boot/config/plugins/dynamix.local.master/dynamix.local.master.txz - downloading from URL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bergware/dynamix/master/archive/dynamix.local.master.txz

Apr 26 06:41:19 Data logger: plugin: checking: /boot/config/plugins/dynamix.local.master/dynamix.local.master.txz - MD5

Apr 26 06:41:19 Data logger: plugin: running: /boot/config/plugins/dynamix.local.master/dynamix.local.master.txz

Apr 26 06:41:20 Data logger: plugin: running: anonymous

I do not get any additional options under settings, then SMB.  I also do not get the yoda symbol.  My Dynamix Webgui is 2015.11.15.  Do I need to update that?  Do I need to download the plugin and manually install?

Also, how does having an unraid server and gateway (eg, wireless modem) on the same network affect this?  Are they both masters?  I had to make my unraid server a master, as none of my Windows computers could find it.  Once I made it a master, they all found it.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin, and still I get nothing.  Here's my syslog:

Apr 26 06:40:01 Data emhttp: cmd: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.plugin.manager/scripts/plugin remove dynamix.local.master.plg

Apr 26 06:40:01 Data logger: plugin: running: anonymous

Apr 26 06:41:19 Data emhttp: cmd: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.plugin.manager/scripts/plugin install https://raw.github.com/bergware/dynamix/master/unRAIDv6/dynamix.local.master.plg

Apr 26 06:41:19 Data logger: plugin: running: anonymous

Apr 26 06:41:19 Data logger: plugin: creating: /boot/config/plugins/dynamix.local.master/dynamix.local.master.txz - downloading from URL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bergware/dynamix/master/archive/dynamix.local.master.txz

Apr 26 06:41:19 Data logger: plugin: checking: /boot/config/plugins/dynamix.local.master/dynamix.local.master.txz - MD5

Apr 26 06:41:19 Data logger: plugin: running: /boot/config/plugins/dynamix.local.master/dynamix.local.master.txz

Apr 26 06:41:20 Data logger: plugin: running: anonymous

I do not get any additional options under settings, then SMB.  I also do not get the yoda symbol.  My Dynamix Webgui is 2015.11.15.  Do I need to update that?  Do I need to download the plugin and manually install?

You are actually asking about a couple of different things.  First, your 'Wireless Modem' (actually a wireless router/modem) is only involved with the Internet (also referred to as WWW) and the assigning of IP Addresses for devices inside of LAN for the purposes of becoming a portion of the world wide Internet.  This is what allows you to connect to sites like Google, Amazon, and CNN.  Things that are on the outside of you router/modem are said to be on the WAN (Wide Area Network) and things inside of the router/modem are said to be on the LAN (Local Area Network).  In unRAID, we use the LAN to connect to the GUI.  Everything on the Internet is accessed by its IP address and a DNS server looks up things like CNN.com and returns back the proper IP address.  The router portion of your Router/modem does this for your LAN.

SMB is a second network that is totally independent of the Internet.  However, it does require that all of the computers which attach to it have an IP address.  There are two ways (in the modern world) to get an address assigned.  The first way is to use a DHCP server.  (SMB itself does not have any DHCP functionality built into it.)  This will be done by your Wireless Modem.  The second way is to assign the IP addresses manually.  (We used to have to do this back in the days when we used dial-up modems.)  (Many of us still assign assign static IP addresses to our unRAID servers.  It seems to make life much simpler if one wants to use the NFS protocol.)  With unRAID, most of us use SMB to gain access to the files on the array.  On the SMB network, the Local Master is the server that translates your server/client name to its IP address. 

One more point, ANY computer or other device that runs SMB can become the Local Master. There is no restriction and many Devices (and ALL MS Windows computers) are enabled!  (BTW, SMB does not require a router/Modem to work! I ran SMB on 10Base2 which was a length of RG-58A/U coax between two or more computers back in the early 1990's!  And, furthermore, the original intend of SMB was to allow very small networks of computers to work together without the need of a dedicated server.)

So Yes, you do require two Masters (if you like) on your physical network.  (By the way, they use the same physical layer and hardware to conduct their communication.)  One to administer the LAN and WAN portion and the second to control SMB portion. 

Now. let's look at the second part of your question.  Go to the "Settings" page, then click on the "SMB" icon (Microsoft flag), then you will see three tabs on that page.  Now, click on the "Workgroup Settings" tab.  That is where you will find the information on which server is the Local Master.  You will NOT see the yoda symbol UNLESS your server is the Local Master.  It does not become the Local Master just because you gave it permission to be come the Local Master--- BTW, that is what the "Local master browser:" allows.  It must also 'win' the periodical 'election' to become the Local Master!  You also have to give it permission to monitor which computer is the Local Master by enabling the "Monitor local master election:" option.  IF your server is not the Local Master, you will have to go to this page to find out which one is.

If you are having an election problem, let's take that up in a separate thread.