Dynamix - V6 Plugins

7 hours ago, shooga said:

It looks like the Cache Dirs plugin is preventing several of my drives from spinning down. I used the Open Files plugin to figure out that a find process was the only thing accessing the drives and after some forum searching realized that Cache Dirs might be the culprit. Sure enough, the drives seem to stay spun down after disabling Cache Dirs.

Is this a known issue? Or there any fixes or workarounds? I installed it long ago and didn't used to have this problem. I believe I'm using the default settings.

I'm on version 6.3.2.

There are reasons why cache dirs could cause the drives to stay spun up (or spin up)

-> Large file writes to the array could cause Linux to drop the cached file entries from RAM (the RAM would be repurposed to cache the file transfer)

-> Your apps are basically consuming all available RAM causing the system to not have enough left over to cache the entries.

-> Your file structure is deep enough and complex enough ( or tons and tons of files ) causing the system to not be able to cache the entries.

Simple solution is to use the included / excluded options.  Only include what you want cached.  There is zero point in caching the appdata share for instance (and it will alone have hundreds of thousands of files for many users).

YMMV

• Upvote 1
Just now, bonienl said:

Is there a particular reason to change?

Mainly a possible merge into unRAID itself. I record Tom saying Highcharts being the major reason not to integrate System Stats due to it's license cost. Today I found D3.js and remembered that post.

5 minutes ago, gfjardim said:

Mainly a possible merge into unRAID itself. I record Tom saying Highcharts being the major reason not to integrate System Stats due to it's license cost. Today I found D3.js and remembered that post.

I don't know D3.js and need to look into this. The Stats plugin has lots of javascript code to interact with highcharts, I guess this would need to change to accomodate D3.js unless it is (fully) compatible.

Didnt find answer to this with search, might be im bad @searching tho.

With S3 Sleep plugin, what kind of before and after sleep commands should I use to make it play nicely together with my Windows VM?

Any examples how you guys handle this tidily? I would like the system to suspend or shutdown a certain VM before system sleeping because after sleep the VM is not working anymore(at least there is no picture in displays via passthrough gfx card). After resuming from sleep I would like to start/restore that VM automatically.

So far I´ve tried "virsh suspend Hyperion" and "virsh resume Hyperion", these work alright from command line in normal operation. But if I put unraid to S3 Sleep between the commands I dont get picture on my displays anymore, according the top command qemu is running wild with CPU so the VM is running alright but just not showing picture on my displays. Is there some command i could run after S3 Sleep that would reininitialize the gfx card or dispalys etc?

Or should I be using Save/Restore instead?

I am having a new board (Supermicro - X11SSL-CF) and installed the System Temp as well as the Fan Auto Control plugin.

System Temp was detecting just the coretemp driver, Fan Auto Control wasn't detecting any of my PWM fan controllers.

A cross check with the IPMI plugin is showing all relevant information, what have I done wrong?

Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-27 um 12.20.17.jpg

Edited by EdgarWallace
47 minutes ago, EdgarWallace said:

I am having a new board (Supermicro - X11SSL-CF) and installed the System Temp as well as the Fan Auto Control plugin.

System Temp was detecting just the coretemp driver, Fan Auto Control wasn't detecting any of my PWM fan controllers.

A cross check with the IPMI plugin is showing all relevant information, what have I done wrong?

Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-27 um 12.20.17.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's the bmc that controls the fans, and then the auto fan Plugin doesn't work. Only choice then is to beg the IPMI Plugin author to add your board to the plugin for fan control. 

• 2 weeks later...

I frequently have the unRAID Dashboard running in a tab in FireFox, and if it's been sitting for a while (a loose definition of no absolute value), I will an "unresponsive script" error message in FF (see attached). This usually seems to happen when there's a notification of some sort (like a plugin/docker update), but not always. Clicking "Stop script" will, it seems, do so and returns responsiveness to FF and I can go on my merry way with whatever else I was going to do.

Any thoughts on causes/fixes for this?

I know, I'm weird and probably don't need to leave the page up all the time, but I'm also lazy, so it's there for convenience.

unRAID unresponsive script.PNG

On 8/21/2016 at 4:41 AM, bonienl said:

Are your disks directly attached to the motherboard or do you use a HBA or RAID controller?

Btw Do you see this error when trying first time (e.g. after system reboot) ?

fstrim: /mnt/cache: FITRIM ioctl failed: Remote I/O error
Was there any solution to this?  I get the same error when running fstrim.

SSD: Sandisk SSD Plus 120gb(SDSSDA-120G-G26)

Thanks

12 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Move the SSD to the onboard or another AHCI controller.

Is that the only option?  I only ask because my Hardware consists of:

Dell PowerEdge R510 12 Bay w/out Raid controller (sata on board is disabled)

IT Mode LSI 9211-8i SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb/s Controller Card

Sata Cache is running on HDD Ports 12 and 13

Would I need to buy a different card or try moving the SSD's to another bay?

Thanks

11 minutes ago, thedeadliving5 said:

IT Mode LSI 9211-8i SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb/s Controller Card

Sata Cache is running on HDD Ports 12 and 13

Would I need to buy a different card or try moving the SSD's to another bay?

Is the 9211 the only controller, i.e., is it connected to an expander? That controller doesn't support trim on most SSDs (it only trims SSDSs that support deterministic read after trim (read zero) like most Samsung Pro).

6 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Is the 9211 the only controller, i.e., is it connected to an expander? That controller doesn't support trim on most SSDs (it only trims SSDSs that support deterministic read after trim (read zero) like most Samsung Pro).

Yup its the only controller, I purchased the controller separate from the system because of a Buddy's recommendation who has a similar setup, except he is running Samsung 850 evo's.  

If its not supported by my controller, it sounds like I have two options, 1.  Live without trim, realistically, how bad is this for my system? Or 2, get a new controller just for the SSD's. If I went this route, is there a way I can tell what controller would support Trim for my cheapo SanDisk SSDs?

Thanks in advance

4 minutes ago, thedeadliving5 said:

If its not supported by my controller, it sounds like I have two options, 1.  Live without trim, realistically, how bad is this for my system? Or 2, get a new controller just for the SSD's. If I went this route, is there a way I can tell what controller would support Trim for my cheapo SanDisk SSDs?

Without trim write speed will deteriorate a lot, as low as 20MB/s, it's also bad for the SSD endurance but if write speed is not very important you can live without it.

A cheap 2 port Asmedia controller supports trim, e.g.:

https://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-Port-PCI-Express-SY-PEX40039/dp/B005B0A6ZS

21 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Without trim write speed will deteriorate a lot, as low as 20MB/s, it's also bad for the SSD endurance but if write speed is not very important you can live without it.

A cheap 2 port Asmedia controller supports trim, e.g.:

https://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-Port-PCI-Express-SY-PEX40039/dp/B005B0A6ZS

Thanks, I will start there, but I am pretty sure my PowerEdge does not have a PCI-E x1 slot so I will need to find one with a different slot.