Dynamix - V6 Plugins

On 7/23/2018 at 7:16 AM, Switchblade said:

The specs  say that the SAS3224 does support SSD, but no mention of TRIM compatibility.  I have opened a support ticket with Broadcom specifically asking if this controller supports SSD's and TRIM.  I'll report back once I get the official answer.

I would like to hear from anyone who has this card and has SSD's connected to it, and of course has the TRIM plugin working.

I submitted a support ticket to Broadcom and after one week - no response.  Not too impressed there.

Again - anyone out there running this controller with a SSD drive attached and using this TRIM plugin with success?

What is the down side of not running TRIM?  I can leave the SSD drive connected to my 9305, but no TRIM.  It has crashed my sever twice, so I have disabled this plugin.

Not having trim isn't really a huge deal.  It's made out to be a big deal, but it really isn't.  At best, you'll never notice any difference because the controller might do some automatic maintenance at some point anyway.  At worst, you'll see slightly degraded performance sometimes, but not likely anything worth worrying about, either.  Ever since SSDs were a thing, and trim came to be, it has been made out to be something absolutely essential to have.  It really isn't worth worrying about.

edit: When they take care of the issue on their own without intervention from the OS it is referred to as garbage collection.  When the OS triggers it, this is a trim command being sent.  Both accomplish the same end.  One just happens automatically at certain intervals without a command having to be sent from the OS.  Really, nobody should be worried about this all that much unless they're actually in some situation where bleeding every single last bit of performance from a drive 24/7 is important.

Edited by _Shorty

For those interested.

I created a new plugin "Dynamix Day and Night". This plugin automatically toggles between a day theme and a night theme, based on the sunrise and sunset times of your location.

Personally I like a bright theme during the day and a dimmed theme during the night, but it is up to the user to select which theme is used during the day or night.

See the OT for the URL and manual installation, or wait until it appears under CA.

Enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, MyKroFt said:

what specific service do we need for the API?

The Google API is used to translate a street address into geographical coordinates.

The latitude and longitude values are needed to calculate sunrise and sunset times of the given location.

The Google API key is free. The API key can be used for multiple services, e.g. it is used by Ubiquiti to show Google maps in their Unifi manager.

It has been a while since I got my API key, and apparently Google has changed their policy.

Here is what they say about pricing: https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/user-guide/pricing-changes/

If there is any other free service to do geographical translations, I am willing to change (or add) said service.

Ps. The Google serivce is only called when entering a new address. Once the coordinates are known, they are stored and re-used without the API.

Edited by bonienl
2 hours ago, bonienl said:

If there is any other free service to do geographical translations, I am willing to change (or add) said service

Try using the Search Engine, Duck Duck Go,  to search for     street address to geographical coordinates.  The user might have to use a manual entry method but it should be a one time thing.  

36 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Try using the Search Engine, Duck Duck Go,  to search for     street address to geographical coordinates.  The user might have to use a manual entry method but it should be a one time thing.  

Thanks for the pointer. I'll have look.

Meanwhile I have added a "geocoding service" selection. Current choices are Google, Bing or MapQuest.

For each service you need to register and get an API key. Bing and MapQuest do not ask for billing information unlike Google.

Just had an update for the Cache Dir plugin appear on the plugins tab (although it's dated from April), it's reporting a bad MD5 when I try and update though and it's killed the plugin. I've tried removing and reinstalling both from Community Applications and manually but get the same error.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

SR

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone point me in the right direction on Auto Fan, it seems to have no impact.

Is there a guide specific to this plug in?

Bios only has standard and full speed and is not reading HDD temps. I currently have standard selected.

98% of the time the standard is fine, but during Parity checks things heat up a little higher than I like.

But the CPU seems to stay cool enough for the system not to ramp up the fans.

I'd be OK with full speed fans for the duration of the run, but other times it is just extra noise not needed.

image.thumb.png.e8dab4d85e17a1c1c287a597c71f013b.png

Hi - currently have some folders excluded in Cache Dir, and I'm experimenting with switching over to include.

It appears not to like some of my folder names - includes not saved, plugin stopped and errors in my log...

Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Starting cache_dirs:
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Arguments=-i Documents -i Movies -i Movies\ (shorts) -i Music\ (audio) -i Music\ (video) -i Pictures -i Standup -i TV\ Shows -i utilities
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Cache Pressure=10
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Max Scan Secs=10, Min Scan Secs=1
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Scan Type=adaptive
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Max Scan Depth=none
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Use Command='find -noleaf'
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Version=2.1.1
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: ---------- Caching Directories ---------------
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Documents
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Movies
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Movies (shorts)
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Music (audio)
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Music (video)
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Pictures
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Standup
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: TV Shows
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: utilities
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: ----------------------------------------------
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: ERROR: included directory "Movies\ (shorts)" does not exist.
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: ERROR: included directory "Music\ (audio)" does not exist.
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: ERROR: included directory "Music\ (video)" does not exist.
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: cache_dirs process ID 743 started

Assuming it's because of the brackets.  Anything I can do (short of renaming my shares)?

38 minutes ago, Cessquill said:

Hi - currently have some folders excluded in Cache Dir, and I'm experimenting with switching over to include.

It appears not to like some of my folder names - includes not saved, plugin stopped and errors in my log...

Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Starting cache_dirs:
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Arguments=-i Documents -i Movies -i Movies\ (shorts) -i Music\ (audio) -i Music\ (video) -i Pictures -i Standup -i TV\ Shows -i utilities
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Cache Pressure=10
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Max Scan Secs=10, Min Scan Secs=1
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Scan Type=adaptive
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Max Scan Depth=none
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Use Command='find -noleaf'
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Version=2.1.1
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: ---------- Caching Directories ---------------
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Documents
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Movies
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Movies (shorts)
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Music (audio)
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Music (video)
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Pictures
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: Standup
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: TV Shows
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: utilities
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: ----------------------------------------------
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: ERROR: included directory "Movies\ (shorts)" does not exist.
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: ERROR: included directory "Music\ (audio)" does not exist.
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: ERROR: included directory "Music\ (video)" does not exist.
Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: cache_dirs process ID 743 started

Assuming it's because of the brackets.  Anything I can do (short of renaming my shares)?

See here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename#Reserved_characters_and_words

However, while I see an 'escape' character for the "space", I am not seeing one for either the "( " or the  ")".  And the periphrasis are two of the gray area cases.  The problem is that sometime while the underlining OS is capable of handling the 'gray-area' cases with some special handling techniques, utilities may not have implemented them and thus choke on them.  

I generally try to avoid using reserved characters in any File or Directories names.  (For the "space", I generally use the Underscore  "_".    In your case, I would probably replace the space-periphrasis with a dash as an example,   Movies-shorts    That should work with all OS's.   

In case, you are confused I expected to see:     

Aug 27 12:29:21 unRAID1 cache_dirs: ERROR: included directory "Music\ \(audio\)" does not exist.
Edited by Frank1940