Dynamix - V6 Plugins

First I have to say I love the plugins but I am having trouble with Auto Fan on my Asus b450 gaming f MOBO and a 2700 detecting the PWM controler and I was wondering if this was a systemic problem, .ie lack of support for AMD, or if it is a specific issue with my combo. I would love to be able to use this plug in because right now the only fan control I have is in bios and that isn't great on this particular board. SO what I am asking is are there plans to add support for this combo or is it not on the road map at this point?

I thought I might post this here as it's taken me a while to piece it all together and it may help someone else get Fan Auto Control working.

I have a Gigabute Z390 Aorus Elite board. Unraid can't support the fan PWM controler out of the box. I spent a couple of evenigns playing with sensors-detect btu noting was recognised. Then I found this page: https://github.com/a1wong/it87/issues/1

Essentially, you go to Main -> Boot Devices ->Flash -> Syslinux Configuration -> Unraid OS

Change the second line from:

append initrd=/bzroot

to:

append initrd=/bzroot acpi_enforce_resources=lax

Then add this line to your /boot/config/go file:

modprobe it87 force_id=0x8628

Reboot and Fan Auto Control should see your PWM fan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • 2 weeks later...

S3 Sleep, Unreliable activation.

I have my unRAID server setup to go to sleep after a period of inactivity.  Most of the time it works as expected.  But frequently I would leave the server untouched over night and find out the next morning it never automatically went to sleep.   Whether it works correctly seems random.  Do you have an idea on what could be causing the issue?  The only other plugins that run automatically daily are Dynamix SSD TRIM and Cache Directories.  I don't imagine those being the issue.

12 minutes ago, Marc_G2 said:

S3 Sleep, Unreliable activation.

I have my unRAID server setup to go to sleep after a period of inactivity.  Most of the time it works as expected.  But frequently I would leave the server untouched over night and find out the next morning it never automatically went to sleep.   Whether it works correctly seems random.  Do you have an idea on what could be causing the issue?  The only other plugins that run automatically daily are Dynamix SSD TRIM and Cache Directories.  I don't imagine those being the issue.

If you enable debugging in the plugin's settings, I believe that you'll see why it didn't go to sleep going forward.  (By looking at Tools - Syslog).  If I was to guess though, it was because of a drive spun up (which *could* be caused by Cache Dirs)

And the reason why I suggested to post in the relevant thread was because there may be other people who follow this thread who are knowledgeable about the app / plugin who may or may not see your original post (or it gets lost in the shuffle)

19 hours ago, Squid said:

If you enable debugging in the plugin's settings, I believe that you'll see why it didn't go to sleep going forward.  (By looking at Tools - Syslog).  If I was to guess though, it was because of a drive spun up (which *could* be caused by Cache Dirs)

Thanks, I forgot about that option.  The system ran throughout the night again and according to the syslog, it was detecting drive activity.   I'll try disabling Cache Directories to see if that fixes the issue.  Usually when I've encountered this issue, unRAID would show all drives being spun down when I checked in the morning.  So I didn't think it was the plugin misbehaving. 

Cache Directories started misbehaving on me a few months back, chewing CPU like crazy after an unknown amount of time, so I stopped using it.  I'm not sure if this was because I was stuck on an older version of unRAID or not, but at the time I had not yet figured out how to get my machine to behave with the latest version(s) of unRAID.  It is certainly possible that there was some issue with the latest version of the plugin and the older version of unRAID, but which might not exist if unRAID were updated.  I haven't tried it again yet to check if the issue is gone now that I'm updated.  On the occasions where your machine doesn't sleep is is possible Cache Directories is chewing CPU for you, too?

20 hours ago, _Shorty said:

On the occasions where your machine doesn't sleep is is possible Cache Directories is chewing CPU for you, too?

No any CPU activity spikes I've seen have always been temporary (and I assume are due to normal activity).  So I don't believe I've had that particular issue.  Based on the debug logs, it's always because of detected array activity.  But I still haven't confirmed what's been pinging my server so much.

3 hours ago, MasterMark said:

Hey,

Active Streams plugin shows no streams however there are streams. What should I check about this? I'm already tried reinstall the plugin but didn't help.

2019-11-27.thumb.png.6c0a2219a7c5ddda72f293b484445248.png

What streams are you expecting to see.   If you're expecting something to show that the plex app is streaming, then this plugin won't show that, as this show smb / nfs streams, not the files that a local app happens to have open

9 hours ago, Squid said:

What streams are you expecting to see.   If you're expecting something to show that the plex app is streaming, then this plugin won't show that, as this show smb / nfs streams, not the files that a local app happens to have open

No, I want to see who uses the SMB shares on the server. For example I open a movie with MPC-HC through a mounted SMB share. It showed this before, but now it is only showin No active streams.

Windows 10 client mounted SMB shares:

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-SmbConnection

ServerName              ShareName           UserName           Credential         Dialect NumOpens
----------              ---------           --------           ----------         ------- --------
relativity.biomax.local downloads           MARK-PC\MasterMark MARK-PC\MasterMark 3.1.1   6
relativity.biomax.local usershare           MARK-PC\MasterMark MARK-PC\MasterMark 3.1.1   1
relativity.biomax.local _TorrentWatchFolder MARK-PC\MasterMark MARK-PC\MasterMark 3.1.1   2

Thanks.

edit: Correction, it is actually showing the streams, if I open a file from the main unraid array.

I have the downloads share on an unassigned device, which is not part of the main array.

Before it shows that streams too.

Is there a way to swich back manually to list streams from unassigned devices?

Thanks again. 

Edited by MasterMark

I'm trying to get the fan control working on an Asus P11C-i, but it won't detect anything, nothing happens when I click detect.  Is there a certain way to do this?  Also, in the BIOS, there are 3 settings for the fans, maximum which is obviously loud, auto which is somewhere in the middle and manual which lets you specify a value, but the values don't seem to correspond to anything, just enter a number, rather than an RPM or value between 0-20.  None of those settings seems to have any effect on the detection in fan control in Unraid.  Can anyone help me out please?

I'm also having trouble with the S3 plugin.  I have posted elsewhere on here but nobody has helped me out.  I want my server to sleep when not in use, fans spun down, drives spun down, but can be woken up by a computer or device trying to access the server.  Is the S3 plugin what I need?

If I enable it, it does indeed put the server to sleep, but it will not wake up again and is completely unresponsive.  The fans are spinning very slowly and it sounds like the drives are spun down, but nothing wakes it up, keyboard presses, mouse movement, there's no web guide access and the screen for the server is blank.  I have to keep the power button pressed to get it to even power off.  This only happens with the S3 plugin enabled.  The S3 states and enhanced states are enabled in my BIOS.  I can do screenshots if required?  Sorry if these are obvious questions and problems, but I'm new to Unraid/linux etc.

Specs are:

Unraid 6.7.2

S3 Plugin 3.0.6

i3 9100F

Asus P11C-I board

16GB 2400Mhz ECC

3x Ironwolf 4TB\1x 4TB Barracuda

512GB 970 Pro NVMe drive

Kingston data traveller 16GB

Any help, much appreciated, thanks.

2 hours ago, Fireball3 said:

The wake-up can not be performed by the plugin. The feature is called wake-on-lan aka. WOL and it must be configured in the BIOS if you use the on-board NIC. Check the manual of your board.
If you use an add-on NIC the issue gets more sophisticated.

Gesendet von meinem Mi 9 SE mit Tapatalk

Thanks.  It's an Asus server board, but there's no WOL setting in the BIOS, oddly enough, I've been through it a few times looking, there's nothing in the online manual relating to WOL or wake on lan, the only things related to waking up are for PCIE.    I found an article to enable it on my router and also this

https://wiki.unraid.net/Setup_Sleep_(S3)_and_Wake_on_Lan_(WOL)

WOL1.thumb.png.5b1779062a658da61b98971a7bd4d967.png

But nothing for the BIOS on my board, unfortunately.  I'll email Asus and see if they know.

3 minutes ago, Dave-M said:

Thanks.  It's an Asus server board, but there's no WOL setting in the BIOS, oddly enough, I've been through it a few times looking, there's nothing in the online manual relating to WOL or wake on lan, the only things related to waking up are for PCIE.    I found an article to enable it on my router and also this

https://wiki.unraid.net/Setup_Sleep_(S3)_and_Wake_on_Lan_(WOL)

WOL1.thumb.png.5b1779062a658da61b98971a7bd4d967.png

But nothing for the BIOS on my board, unfortunately.  I'll email Asus and see if they know.

When it is difficult to read the MAC address, the Target address appears to be the same as the Client address.  The Client should be the MAC address of the PC (or other device) that is to wake up the Unraid server (which, of course, is the target).

• Like 1

The router will sent the magic packet and wake up the machine if it sees traffic dedicated for the server, but the NIC will have to do its job and listen for it.

The router setting just takes over the wake-up task that you would need to perform by hand with a wake up command sent from PC or smartphone.

Maybe on those server boards the WOL is done via the management interface? The support should be able to help.

• Like 1
On 12/1/2019 at 8:38 AM, Fireball3 said:

The router will sent the magic packet and wake up the machine if it sees traffic dedicated for the server, but the NIC will have to do its job and listen for it.

The router setting just takes over the wake-up task that you would need to perform by hand with a wake up command sent from PC or smartphone.

Maybe on those server boards the WOL is done via the management interface? The support should be able to help.

Thanks.  Just heard back from Asus, the P11C-I does not support wake on LAN.  Seems an odd thing to leave out on a mini itx server board that has a lot of different sleep settings, but no way to wake it up.  I think I will return it and get the Supermicro.

Hello All,

I am new to Unraid. I have a MSI Prestige Creation X570 motherboard with AMD Ryzen 9 3900X CPU. I am using a pwm controller through my Fractal Design Vector RS. After installing SystemTemp and Auto Fan from Dynamix, I am unable to detect the sensors nor the pwm controller for the fans. I know these are two separate issues, but any help is appreciated. Thanks!

So I'm still having a problem where S3 Sleep is erroneously detecting drive activity (and then not going to sleep).  What is criteria for hard drive activity occurring?  I assumed it was checking if the drives were spun up.  But that doesn't appear to be the case.  At the moment, my best guess of the root cause is one of my windows PCs (that remain on most of the time) is somehow causing the issue.   Anyone have an idea?

I've attached a screenshot of plugin config.   EDIT.  I wanted to have this image as just a clickable item you could expand.  Is that not possible?

Sleep Settings.PNG

Edited by Marc_G2

When the Debug mode shows no ethernet traffic and the drives are definately spun down than that could be a bug introduced in one of the last versions of the S3 Sleep Plugin. I think the root course was the integration of hdparm in the process of determinating if a drive is spun down.

I patched that out and since then the script works as expected and reliable.

I know that some people have that problem, but the script was never reverted back, althought i mentioned that problem some times here.