Dynamix - V6 Plugins

I apologize if this is in the wrong thread, just let me know and I'll move it to general support or somewhere, but I am following the official wiki for setting up CPU temperature monitoring with the Dynamix System Temp plugin. I've installed NerdPack GUI, installed PERL, then installed and hit "DETECT" in Dynamix System Temp. It finds my driver as "k10temp nct6775", but the options for "Processor temperature" and "Motherboard temperature" are set to "not used" and do not show any other options. I've hit save, redetected, rescanned, and done all the research I could find. I even tried some alternatives to Dynamix, but I can't seem to get anything working. For more info, my motherboard is the MSI Meg X570 Unify and I have a Ryzen 3950X. Everything else is up and running, so far I'm loving Unraid and it's working great, I just can't get CPU temperature readings.

I'm very new to Unraid (on trial day 3 now), I like it a lot, but am still unexperienced in it. If someone could please help me with the next troubleshooting steps or if anyone knows a solution to this issue, please let me know.

Here is the link to the tutorial I am following:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Setting_up_CPU_and_board_temperature_sensing

Screenshot attached if it helps any.

unraid_screenshot.png

13 hours ago, Squid said:

OK, this is proving to be one pain in the a*s.

my dynamix.system.temp\drivers.conf has the following:

coretemp.nct6683

but for some reason the NCT6683 module is not loading as you can see from my sensors output below.

Sensors-detect:

Found `Nuvoton NCT6683D eSIO'                               Success!
    (address 0xa20, driver `nct6683')

Sensors:

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
CPU Temp:     +26.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 0:       +24.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 1:       +25.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 2:       +26.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 3:       +23.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 4:       +25.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 5:       +23.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 6:       +25.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 7:       +24.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 8:       +24.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 9:       +24.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)

nvme-pci-0200
Adapter: PCI adapter
Composite:    +44.9°C  (low  = -60.1°C, high = +89.8°C)
                       (crit = +94.8°C)

nvme-pci-3e00
Composite:    +45.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +84.8°C)
                       (crit = +84.8°C)
Sensor 1:     +45.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)
Sensor 2:     +46.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)

Any idea why the sensor module isn't loading?

Linux peeps have managed to get it working by doing the following but there is no modules-load.d folder in UNRAID that I can see.

echo "options nct6683 force=1" >> /etc/modprobe.d/sensors.conf

modprobe nct6683

echo "nct6683" >> /etc/modules-load.d/modules.conf

On 1/3/2021 at 9:21 PM, itimpi said:

If you back it up first, it should be easy enough to test by seeing if you can successfully write the expected amount of data to the drive and then also read it back intact.   If it IS a fake one of those steps will fail.

Thanks, @itimpi. But I'm wondering about the logistics of this;

1. Back up the USB drive, having removed it while the array is (presumably) spun down but powered.

2. Leave the server alone while I…

3. Test the USB drive destructively with, say, F3 or some similar test.

4. Restore the original UnRAID data, reinsert the USB drive into the server.

Because of 2. the backup and subsequent restore would have to be outside the UnRAID server. Is this the sequence you had in mind? Have you tried this?

-- 

Chris

On 1/2/2021 at 2:30 AM, Marshalleq said:

I would always install trim on all SSD's.  I think it's highly worth and and have never had an issue.  I followed your link but it didn't make immediate sense to me what you mean.  Just install trim I reckon. :)

The question is: does RAISE replace TRIM? Unnecessarily running TRIM may not raise (ha!) any "issues" but you may be adding random wear to your SSD.

-- 

Chris

1 hour ago, bidmead said:

Thanks, @itimpi. But I'm wondering about the logistics of this;

1. Back up the USB drive, having removed it while the array is (presumably) spun down but powered.

2. Leave the server alone while I…

3. Test the USB drive destructively with, say, F3 or some similar test.

4. Restore the original UnRAID data, reinsert the USB drive into the server.

Because of 2. the backup and subsequent restore would have to be outside the UnRAID server. Is this the sequence you had in mind? Have you tried this?

-- 

Chris

Yes.

Depending on the test you run you may need to run the appropriate make_bootable command off the flash to make it bootable again if the test you use has destroyed that status.

2 hours ago, mikeyosm said:

OK, this is proving to be one pain in the a*s.

my dynamix.system.temp\drivers.conf has the following:

coretemp.nct6683

but for some reason the NCT6683 module is not loading as you can see from my sensors output below.

Sensors-detect:

Found `Nuvoton NCT6683D eSIO'                               Success!
    (address 0xa20, driver `nct6683')

Sensors:

coretemp-isa-0000
CPU Temp:     +26.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 0:       +24.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 1:       +25.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 2:       +26.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 3:       +23.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 4:       +25.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 5:       +23.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 6:       +25.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 7:       +24.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 8:       +24.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 9:       +24.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)

nvme-pci-0200
Composite:    +44.9°C  (low  = -60.1°C, high = +89.8°C)
                       (crit = +94.8°C)

nvme-pci-3e00
Composite:    +45.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +84.8°C)
                       (crit = +84.8°C)
Sensor 1:     +45.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)
Sensor 2:     +46.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)

Any idea why the sensor module isn't loading?

Linux peeps have managed to get it working by doing the following but there is no modules-load.d folder in UNRAID that I can see.

echo "options nct6683 force=1" >> /etc/modprobe.d/sensors.conf

modprobe nct6683

echo "nct6683" >> /etc/modules-load.d/modules.conf

I booted an Ubuntu distro and I get all the sensors info. How do I get the same sensors to show up in UNRAID?

I added the nct6683 module to modules.conf in Ubuntu but I can't see where I do this in UNRAID.

/etc/modules-load.d$ cat modules.conf

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.
nct6683

sensors

coretemp-isa-0000
Package id 0:  +28.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 0:        +25.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 1:        +26.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 2:        +27.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 3:        +26.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 4:        +27.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 5:        +24.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 6:        +27.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 7:        +25.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 8:        +26.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)
Core 9:        +26.0°C  (high = +99.0°C, crit = +115.0°C)

nct6683-isa-0a20
VIN0:          720.00 mV (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)
VIN1:            1.01 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)
VIN2:          992.00 mV (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)
VIN3:            1.10 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)
VIN7:            1.34 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)
VIN14:         464.00 mV (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)
VIN15:           1.04 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)
VIN16:           1.06 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)
VSB:             3.49 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)
fan1:           500 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
fan2:           739 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
fan3:          2013 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
fan4:             0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
Thermistor 13:  +38.0°C  (low  =  +0.0°C)
                         (high =  +0.0°C, hyst =  +0.0°C)
                         (crit =  +0.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
PECI 0.0:       +27.5°C  (low  =  +0.0°C)
                         (crit =  +0.0°C)  sensor = Intel PECI
Thermistor 12:  +45.5°C  (low  =  +0.0°C)
                         (crit =  +0.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
intrusion0:    OK
beep_enable:   disabled

nvme-pci-0200
Composite:    +45.9°C  (low  = -60.1°C, high = +89.8°C)
                       (crit = +94.8°C)

37 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Yes.

Depending on the test you run you may need to run the appropriate make_bootable command off the flash to make it bootable again if the test you use has destroyed that status.

Thanks, @itimpi. I've realised subsequently that the official UnRAID USB backup downloads the output to the local machine running the WebGUI, so my remarks about backing up the USB outside the UnRAID NAS don't apply.

But there's a possible scenario that worries me. If this is a fake 2GB drive posing as a 16GB drive (as UnRAID seems to be suggesting) it's a possibility that the destructive test I run will make the drive unusable.

Whether it's 16GB or 2GB, it's working fine for now as a boot drive. My inclination would be to buy a second 16GB Cruzer Fit from the eBay SanDisk store (about £6), test that to guarantee it's a worthy understudy, and then run the destructive test on the working boot USB drive.

Or am I being overcautious here? Advice very welcome.

-- 

Chris

10 minutes ago, bidmead said:

Thanks, @itimpi. I've realised subsequently that the official UnRAID USB backup downloads the output to the local machine running the WebGUI, so my remarks about backing up the USB outside the UnRAID NAS don't apply.

But there's a possible scenario that worries me. If this is a fake 2GB drive posing as a 16GB drive (as UnRAID seems to be suggesting) it's a possibility that the destructive test I run will make the drive unusable.

Whether it's 16GB or 2GB, it's working fine for now as a boot drive. My inclination would be to buy a second 16GB Cruzer Fit from the eBay SanDisk store (about £6), test that to guarantee it's a worthy understudy, and then run the destructive test on the working boot USB drive.

Or am I being overcautious here? Advice very welcome.

-- 

Chris

I have no idea whether testing can make the drive unusable.

if you have to use a new USB then you will have to go through the process of transferring the licence to it (and blacklist the old one).   You can use the automated process once a year but if you have done a transfer more recently then you need to contact Limetech to do a manual transfer.

I was asking my question about RAISE and TRIM, @Marshalleq, from a position of ignorance. That's to say, I'm looking for an answer from someone who knows more than I do. You're asking me another question that seems to require the information I'm ignorant of.

Is there someone here who can help us both out? I've put this question to the SSD manufacturer and will follow up here if I get a response.

(Here's a useful gloss on how the SandForce controller and TRIM work, separately. There's no mention of RAISE here, but I'm assuming my cache OWC Mercury Extreme Pro, which uses a SandForce controller, also includes this DuraWrite feature. This may be an answer to my question but I don't understand SSD garbage collection well enough to be sure.)

-- 

Chris

may a question about the system fan plugin, after getting the fans to be recognized and adjustable question is

do i see this right that the automatic control is only triggered for hdd temps ?

my usecase is to control my fans due cpu temp but either i miss something ot its a hdd temp control base only ?

for any tipps, thanks ahead

may a question about the system fan plugin, after getting the fans to be recognized and adjustable question is

do i see this right that the automatic control is only triggered for hdd temps ?

my usecase is to control my fans due cpu temp but either i miss something ot its a hdd temp control base only ?

It is for fan speed control based on hdd temps only
  • Like 1

Just use a fan splitter hub to connect all your fans to the cpu fan header and set you fan curve in the bios
  • Like 1

I'm getting permission denied in autofan plugin.... Any ideas why? The plugin is detecting my sensor chip nct6683 OK.

<br /><b>Warning</b>:  file_get_contents(/sys/devices/platform/nct6683.2592/hwmon/hwmon3/pwm1_enable): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in <b>/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.system.autofan/include/SystemFan.php</b> on line <b>40</b><br /><br /><b>Warning</b>:  file_put_contents(/sys/devices/platform/nct6683.2592/hwmon/hwmon3/pwm1_enable): failed to open stream: Permission denied in <b>/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.system.autofan/include/SystemFan.php</b> on line <b>42</b><br /><br /><b>Warning</b>:  file_put_contents(/sys/devices/platform/nct6683.2592/hwmon/hwmon3/pwm1): failed to open stream: Permission denied in <b>/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.system.autofan/include/SystemFan.php</b> on line <b>43</b><br /><br /><b>Warning</b>:  file_put_contents(/sys/devices/platform/nct6683.2592/hwmon/hwmon3/pwm1): failed to open stream: Permission denied in <b>/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.system.autofan/include/SystemFan.php</b> on line <b>46</b><br /><br /><b>Warning</b>:  file_put_contents(/sys/devices/platform/nct6683.2592/hwmon/hwmon3/pwm1): failed to open stream: Permission denied in <b>/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.system.autofan/include/SystemFan.php</b> on line <b>49</b><br /><br /><b>Warning</b>:  file_put_contents(/sys/devices/platform/nct6683.2592/hwmon/hwmon3/pwm1_enable): failed to open stream: Permission denied in <b>/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.system.autofan/include/SystemFan.php</b> on line <b>50</b><br />/sys/devices/platform/nct6683.2592/hwmon/hwmon3/fan2_input

image.thumb.png.e7d608f22b72dbbe07455aa39a24de44.png

Anyone with issues loading their sensor module and/or missing sensors for their motherboard, please read....

I have a Z490 Asrock ITX/TB3 board and have been battling for months trying to get the sensors to display in systemp plugin.

I have finally found a way to do it for the NCT6683 sensor chip.

I created a user script using the excellent plugin that contains the following at array startup-

modprobe -r nct6683

modprobe nct6683 force=1

The 1st line unloads the module.

The 2nd line loads the module using the 'force' option.

Now on every reboot of UNRAID i have full sensors from both coretemp and nct6683.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, mikeyosm said:

Anyone with issues loading their sensor module and/or missing sensors for their motherboard, please read....

I have a Z490 Asrock ITX/TB3 board and have been battling for months trying to get the sensors to display in systemp plugin.

I have finally found a way to do it for the NCT6683 sensor chip.

I created a user script using the excellent plugin that contains the following at array startup-

modprobe -r nct6683

modprobe nct6683 force=1

The 1st line unloads the module.

The 2nd line loads the module using the 'force' option.

Now on every reboot of UNRAID i have full sensors from both coretemp and nct6683.

mikeyosm, I'm a bit new to unraid and all of this, would you mind going into more detail about how you created the user script and where? I understand the 2 lines in the script (roughly), but I don't know how to create the user script.

Thanks! 

8 minutes ago, Hkup859 said:

mikeyosm, I'm a bit new to unraid and all of this, would you mind going into more detail about how you created the user script and where? I understand the 2 lines in the script (roughly), but I don't know how to create the user script.

Thanks! 

I downloaded the plugin

image.png.23ae785fef0e8716185714c0f1f965d9.png

then set up a script like this...

image.thumb.png.6e3abea7df6f75e86c51f05ce58acfe8.png

with the script contents

#!/bin/bash
modprobe -r nct6683
modprobe nct6683 force=1

9 minutes ago, mikeyosm said:

I downloaded the plugin

image.png.23ae785fef0e8716185714c0f1f965d9.png

then set up a script like this...

image.thumb.png.6e3abea7df6f75e86c51f05ce58acfe8.png

with the script contents

#!/bin/bash
modprobe -r nct6683
modprobe nct6683 force=1

Assuming I did everything right, it didn't seem to work for me. Here's what I did:

1. Downloaded the plugin

2. Created modprobe script, but with nct6775 instead of nct6683 because that's what the dynamix system temp plugin detected for me.

3. Set the script to run at array startup

4. Stopped the array

5. Started the array.

When I went back to the dynamic system temp plugin it still didn't give me any sensors to choose from.

I guess my question(s) would be, do I need to use nct6683? Dynamix System Temp shows "k10temp nct6775" for me, do I need to do both in the script?

Like I said, I'm new to this, so I appreciate your help.

5 minutes ago, Hkup859 said:

Assuming I did everything right, it didn't seem to work for me. Here's what I did:

1. Downloaded the plugin

2. Created modprobe script, but with nct6775 instead of nct6683 because that's what the dynamix system temp plugin detected for me.

3. Set the script to run at array startup

4. Stopped the array

5. Started the array.

When I went back to the dynamic system temp plugin it still didn't give me any sensors to choose from.

I guess my question(s) would be, do I need to use nct6683? Dynamix System Temp shows "k10temp nct6775" for me, do I need to do both in the script?

Like I said, I'm new to this, so I appreciate your help.

please post modprobe nct6775, sensors-detect and sensors output