Dynamix - V6 Plugins

The screenshot ends with a failure in wget (download failed). Check that your internet connection is working properly (DNS and IP settings).

[/quote

Frank you are the man it worked - I run a static ip and my router is the 1st DNS 192.168.1.1 - then i added the google ips in 2 and 3 dns and it all works now - see the screen shot - and i have my first plugin installed - question is my server now exposed to the NET Now??  thanks again for being patient with me...

I looked at screenshot of the display and there is not evident to me (or the OP) that anything had failed.  Could you look at modifying the 'Install Plugin' app to indicate an "install failure" if any installation should failed for any reason?  If you could provide the reason that could be an even a better solution...

The screenshot ends with a failure in wget (download failed). Check that your internet connection is working properly (DNS and IP settings).

Frank you are the man it worked - I run a static ip and my router is the 1st DNS 192.168.1.1 - then i added the google ips in 2 and 3 dns and it all works now - see the screen shot - and i have my first plugin installed - question is my server now exposed to the NET Now??  thanks again for being patient with me...

I looked at screenshot of the display and there is not evident to me (or the OP) that anything had failed.  Could you look at modifying the 'Install Plugin' app to indicate an "install failure" if any installation should failed for any reason?  If you could provide the reason that could be an even a better solution...

No more so then when you plugged in that cat 5 cable.  While entering the DNS servers' IP addresses made Internet Services available that was only an outbound enable, inbound had always been there.  But you are protected by the software that is in your router on that point. 

Unfortunately, outbound is totally your responsibility with unRAID!  You have to be careful what software you install on your server and what sites you either allow that software to go to and what sites you "visit".  Luckily, Linux is normally not a target of the bad guys and most unRAID users don't surf the Internet from their servers.  While some of this may sound scarey, I have never heard of anyone having a problem with virus, malware or other things the bad guys are prone to do.

REason for edit:  "I have never heard"  was "I have heard".

With apologies, this is my second post here that's not plugin related, but I'm not sure where Dynamix issues should be posted.  I'm reluctant to post minor things in the main release announcement thread, and it's probably covered already somewhere in the Defects thread, but I only found bits and pieces related to it here and there (but perhaps the bits and pieces add up to a whole, so old news).  Please ignore if you have already fixed this.

The attached picture shows all 4 cases of the spin/temp display 'regression', drives that are spinning with and without temps, and drives not spinning with and without temps.  Drives 8, 9, and 10 are spinning, forgot to verify spin status of drives 1, 2, and 3.  Note: this is just a display problem, not the "drives won't spin down" problem, all my drives do spin down correctly.

Refreshing the page never seems to correct the above, not manually through the browser page reload or clicking the Refresh button, or automatically through the page update countdown timer.

unRAID_v6_main_w_spintemp_issue.jpg.0a6934420fa91c0f00642da26cb0463a.jpg

With apologies, this is my second post here that's not plugin related, but I'm not sure where Dynamix issues should be posted.  I'm reluctant to post minor things in the main release announcement thread, and it's probably covered already somewhere in the Defects thread, but I only found bits and pieces related to it here and there (but perhaps the bits and pieces add up to a whole, so old news).  Please ignore if you have already fixed this.

The attached picture shows all 4 cases of the spin/temp display 'regression', drives that are spinning with and without temps, and drives not spinning with and without temps.  Drives 8, 9, and 10 are spinning, forgot to verify spin status of drives 1, 2, and 3.  Note: this is just a display problem, not the "drives won't spin down" problem, all my drives do spin down correctly.

Refreshing the page never seems to correct the above, not manually through the browser page reload or clicking the Refresh button, or automatically through the page update countdown timer.

Isn't that just a side effect of the poll_attributes tunable?  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=38409.msg356665#msg356665

Isn't that just a side effect of the poll_attributes tunable?  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=38409.msg356665#msg356665

Thanks Squid, that explains it.  This certainly is not a satisfactory situation, a visible refresh that does not appear to do anything, and a hidden refresh that does make changes but is apparently set too long to be effective.  Two independent refreshes that are not in sync...

Your picture is the result of the underlying way emhttp is handling the temperatures of the disks, the GUI merely shows the result.

The upcoming version of unRAID has improvements in this department amongst many others :)

Can't wait to see it!  Thanks for all your work here, bonienl!

bonienl, I've been working on a guide to the v6 upgrade, found here -

Upgrading to UnRAID v6

I wanted to compile in one place all of the v6 related info that a v5 user faces when trying to upgrade (there's a lot to deal with), and the guide includes two large areas you are directly involved in.  If or when you have time, would you mind reviewing the Settings section.  It's essentially done, but subject to review and any final improvements.  You are welcome to rewrite anything yourself if you choose.  The other area of yours is the Plugins section, but I haven't gotten to it yet.  You are welcome to write something yourself if you like, or I'll get to it, synthesizing summaries for the most important plugins with appropriate links, and then I'll request your review again.

By the way, you are listed in the credits because I have used some of your words already, but I forget where.

You (and anyone else) are welcome to critique anything you see on the page.  The more critiques now, the better it will be later.  I'm hoping the guide will lighten the support load, once the full user base begins the upgrade.  But I do understand if this is not of interest to you, we all have busy lives.

I'm on the latest beta (b14), which includes the dynamix gui. However when I try to install one of the plugins from https://github.com/bergware/dynamix, I get an error saying the dynamix webgui plugin isn't installed...

/usr/local/sbin/plugin install /boot/config/plugins-error/dynamix.active.streams-2.1.1-noarch-bergware.plg 2>&1
plugin: installing: /boot/config/plugins-error/dynamix.active.streams-2.1.1-noarch-bergware.plg
plugin: creating: /tmp/plugin-startup - from INLINE content
plugin: running: /tmp/plugin-startup
missing Dynamix webGui plugin !!!
plugin: run failed: /bin/bash retval: 1

I'm on the latest beta (b14), which includes the dynamix gui. However when I try to install one of the plugins from https://github.com/bergware/dynamix, I get an error saying the dynamix webgui plugin isn't installed...

/usr/local/sbin/plugin install /boot/config/plugins-error/dynamix.active.streams-2.1.1-noarch-bergware.plg 2>&1
plugin: installing: /boot/config/plugins-error/dynamix.active.streams-2.1.1-noarch-bergware.plg

You can not install the v5 versions of the plugins, these are not compatible with v6.

See the OP for the v6 versions.

Yeah I have a look and support where possible and time permits.

The upcoming version has some re-arrangements in the settings department, so some adjustment in the guide is needed anyway.

I'm a bit red-faced here!  I knew about the Help button, used it a bit on the Main screen, but had no idea how extensive the help is for most of the settings pages!  Never even tried it(!), needed a hint from Frank1940.  I'll rewrite some of it now, and add Frank's suggestions ...

Hi,

I installed the S3 plugin and it works fine so far. I can put my system to sleep from the gui and sending the "magic packet" from my router awakes the server. Unfortunately I can't access the server anymore after that. I can't reach the gui or dial in via telnet. I haven't changed the plugin settings but I tried "DHCP renewal after wake-up: YES" and "Force gigabit speed after wake-up: YES". Which changed nothing. Any ideas on how to solve this?

Bye.

Yeah I have a look and support where possible and time permits.

The upcoming version has some re-arrangements in the settings department, so some adjustment in the guide is needed anyway.

I'm a bit red-faced here!  I knew about the Help button, used it a bit on the Main screen, but had no idea how extensive the help is for most of the settings pages!  Never even tried it(!), needed a hint from Frank1940.  I'll rewrite some of it now, and add Frank's suggestions ...

No need to be ;)

Help is very new and over time more and more information has been added to it, I guess people have to get used to this function, in the past the appropriate action was to look for the wiki (which is still good to have).

Hi,

I installed the S3 plugin and it works fine so far. I can put my system to sleep from the gui and sending the "magic packet" from my router awakes the server. Unfortunately I can't access the server anymore after that. I can't reach the gui or dial in via telnet. I haven't changed the plugin settings but I tried "DHCP renewal after wake-up: YES" and "Force gigabit speed after wake-up: YES". Which changed nothing. Any ideas on how to solve this?

Bye.

As a starter I would give the system a fixed IP address, don't use DHCP.

Waking-up must be properly supported by the BIOS of your motherboard, do you have the latest BIOS version installed ?

I use a different motherboard from ASrock, and have no issues, so I suppose yours should be in the same league...

Hi,

Bye.

As a starter I would give the system a fixed IP address, don't use DHCP.

Waking-up must be properly supported by the BIOS of your motherboard, do you have the latest BIOS version installed ?

I use a different motherboard from ASrock, and have no issues, so I suppose yours should be in the same league...

The dhcp server on my router assigns always the same ip addresses to my devices. I deactivated dhcp on many devices (where I could). At least the server shows in the list of connected devices on my router. The result is still the same. I can not access the server via gui or telnet. A ping works.

My network.cfg:

# Generated settings:

USE_DHCP="no"

IPADDR="192.168.1.10"

NETMASK="255.255.255.0"

GATEWAY="192.168.1.1"

DHCP_KEEPRESOLV="no"

DNS_SERVER1=""

DNS_SERVER2=""

DNS_SERVER3=""

BONDING="no"

BONDING_MODE="1"

BRIDGING="no"

BRNAME="br0"

BRSTP="yes"

I changed USE_DHCP="yes" to "no"

Bye.

Not related to your wake-up issue, but when a fixed address is given, you need to give a DNS server address too, otherwise your server can't get anything from the Internet, e.g. updates.

I seem to recall that BIOS have settings too for wake-on-lan, you may want to check these.

I tried a few things. Nothing would make the array available after sending the magic packet. It seems to me like a bug in this beta version. This could be difficult or impossible to fix. I will try it again in the next release of unRAID. Maybe it will work then.

You can not install the v5 versions of the plugins, these are not compatible with v6.

See the OP for the v6 versions.

Ahh ok, I had no idea they were v5.

I tried a few things. Nothing would make the array available after sending the magic packet. It seems to me like a bug in this beta version. This could be difficult or impossible to fix. I will try it again in the next release of unRAID. Maybe it will work then.

I don't think I saw whether you made sure your network chipset supports it, and has the g flag turned on.  Have a look at this older wiki page, perhaps something will help you.

I don't think I saw whether you made sure your network chipset supports it, and has the g flag turned on.  Have a look at this older wiki page, perhaps something will help you.

Yes...this flag was activated from the start.

However I found a thread with a user with the same board and he had the exact problem I have. Turns out, that this is a problem caused by the realtek NIC. I purchased an intel NIC he recommended. It should be here by tomorrow. I will try again and report back.

BTW: The bios has only one setting for wake on lan to work. I activated that.

Bye.

So I tried a few more things:

- Used a different NIC (deactivated the onboard NIC)

- Installed a fresh copy of unraid together with the S3 plugin (only).

The result is the same. After sending the magic packet the system boots up but does not fully awake. For example...the onboard video cart does not show a picture when I connect the server to my TV.

Any other ideas?

Bye.

I will reboot my server tomorrow and confirm which settings I am using. After ditching the realtek Nic it's been working flawlessly.

Thanks for your help. I tried that and it didn't help. Maybe it is something in combination with the SATA controllers or backplanes I'm using. I don't now. I think I will stop investigating this problem for a while and try again when an update is available for unraid.

Bye.