[REQUEST] Mythtv Backend Docker please :)

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd try Myth if it were a docker, (I understand fully why that isn't going to happen) but for the hassle I've had in the past each time I've tried to install it, I'll stick with good old TVHeadEnd.

ArgusTV is pretty good as well at series link etc, but needs to be run in a Windows environment.

I'd try Myth if it were a docker, (I understand fully why that isn't going to happen) but for the hassle I've had in the past each time I've tried to install it, I'll stick with good old TVHeadEnd.

It's funny you say that.  I think TVH is 10x more of a pain in the ass then Mythbuntu.  If you want help setting it up let me know and I can give you a hand offline.

BTW...why would Myth be any harder than TVH to setup in a container?  saarg did it with TVH.  Why would Myth be that much more challenging?

John

It's funny you say that.  I think TVH is 10x more of a pain in the ass then Mythbuntu.  If you want help setting it up let me know and I can give you a hand offline.

BTW...why would Myth be any harder than TVH to setup in a container?  saarg did it with TVH.  Why would Myth be that much more challenging?

John

Oh John, don't tempt me with another project.  I'm a sucker for things like that, might take you up on the offer one day  ;D

I thought Myth has a lot more dependencies, MySQL etc, TVHeadEnd seems a lot easier. 

Although Mythbuntu makes it a bit easier.

John

Oh John, don't tempt me with another project.  I'm a sucker for things like that, might take you up on the offer one day  ;D

I thought Myth has a lot more dependencies, MySQL etc, TVHeadEnd seems a lot easier. 

Mythbuntu makes it very easy...at least for me since I have done it a half dozen times now.  What do you use for tuners?

This is what I love...Mythweb.  Makes setting up series recordings a breeze.

XN46Par.png

John

tvheadend is all in one

myth is a bajillion different pieces and a total pig to set up and use in general. at least the last time i used it (0.27)

did they ever sort out the 15 year wait between channel changes ?

Mythbuntu makes it very easy...at least for me since I have done it a half dozen times now.  What do you use for tuners?

This is what I love...

It is pretty and the EPG in TVHeadEnd WebGUI is non-existent in the traditional view that I expect from an EPG, but you can't install Mytbuntu in a docker, would need to be a manual install.

I use a TBS Quad Tuner DVB-T2 6205 (For Freeview in the UK)

This is what I love...

It is pretty and the EPG in TVHeadEnd WebGUI is non-existent in the traditional view that I expect from an EPG, but you can't install Mytbuntu in a docker, would need to be a manual install.

Agreed...in docker it would require piecemeal install.

I'm running Mythbuntu in a KVM VM with 1 core and 1 gig a ram.  Only caveat is that I have HDHomeruns so I don't have to worry about passthru.

This is what I love...

you could pretty much emulate mythbuntu though.

but it would be pretty useless without a media kernel.

This is what I love...

Not the case with HDHomeruns though, right?  I believe the drivers are packaged (or pulled during install).

This is what I love...

Not the case with HDHomeruns though, right?

if saargs tvheadend container doesn't need a media kernel for homerun then myth wouldn't either.

does it ?

This is what I love...

if saargs tvheadend container doesn't need a media kernel for homerun then myth wouldn't either.

does it ?

That is exactly why I thought it was doable...at least with HDHomeruns.

John

I just have to get into this discussion  :)

Do you like mythweb for the nice EPG gui or does it offer something that tvheadend doesn't do regarding series recording? I haven't tried Mythtv, so I don't know anything about it.

Well.. I tried to get it running, but it wouldn't see my DVB Adapters and I gave up in the end.

Anyways... Series recordings is as easy as this in tvheadend:

1. Search for the show in the webgui.

2. Push info button.

3. Push Autorec.

4. Done :)

Tvhclient is a nice client for scheduling recordings for handheld devices if that's what is needed.

I guess I could have tried to get Mythtv running in a container, but I have other stuff on my priority list, so probably someone is going to beat me to it. Hints @ something sparkly  ;)

does it ?

I don't believe it does for Homerun, the rest of us need Media Kernel.  I have copies of Piotrasd's media kernel builds for RC3 stored, and I do believe I know how to make them myself now.  Definitely the TBS one, definitely the stock kernel driver one, and got a good idea how to do the Openelec extra drivers one.

John

I just have to get into this discussion  :)

Do you like mythweb for the nice EPG gui or does it offer something that tvheadend doesn't do regarding series recording? I haven't tried Mythtv, so I don't know anything about it.

Well.. I tried to get it running, but it wouldn't see my DVB Adapters and I gave up in the end.

Anyways... Series recordings is as easy as this in tvheadend:

1. Search for the show in the webgui.

2. Push info button.

3. Push Autorec.

4. Done :)

Tvhclient is a nice client for scheduling recordings for handheld devices if that's what is needed.

I guess I could have tried to get Mythtv running in a container, but I have other stuff on my priority list, so probably someone is going to beat me to it. Hints @ something sparkly  ;)

I like pretty.  :)

TBH...I could never understand the attraction to TVH.  I really believe that it is such a PITA for that average Windows user to setup that Linux guys fell in love with it.  :)  But I have always found it to be flaky...not to mention that it was quite a dead project for a while.

saarg...would the same Schedules Direct issue exist with Myth that does for TVH?

Paging all sparkly's...  :)

John

This is what I love...

does it ?

Tvheadend has support for HDHomerun internally. If Mythtv supports it without installing drivers I have no idea about. If you need to install drivers, you will have to exec into the container to configure the HDHomerun. So not for the regular user.