[REQUEST] Mythtv Backend Docker please :)

I just have to get into this discussion  :)

Do you like mythweb for the nice EPG gui or does it offer something that tvheadend doesn't do regarding series recording? I haven't tried Mythtv, so I don't know anything about it.

Well.. I tried to get it running, but it wouldn't see my DVB Adapters and I gave up in the end.

Anyways... Series recordings is as easy as this in tvheadend:

1. Search for the show in the webgui.

2. Push info button.

3. Push Autorec.

4. Done :)

Tvhclient is a nice client for scheduling recordings for handheld devices if that's what is needed.

I guess I could have tried to get Mythtv running in a container, but I have other stuff on my priority list, so probably someone is going to beat me to it. Hints @ something sparkly  ;)

To be honest I don't watch a great deal of Live or PVR TV.  It's essential for my wife to be happy, I have no need to use Myth or anything else over TVHeadEnd, the only reason I would use a Myth docker is out of curiosity.

I do believe that Myth has a lot of advanced features that some find necessary, and it certainly has some die-hard fans.

TVHClient is awesome, how did I not know this existed.  I've always been a bit puzzled why TVHeadEnd doesn't include a decent WebEPG view.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you like mythweb for the nice EPG gui or does it offer something that tvheadend doesn't do regarding series recording? I haven't tried Mythtv, so I don't know anything about it.

Well.. I tried to get it running, but it wouldn't see my DVB Adapters and I gave up in the end.

2. Push info button.

3. Push Autorec.

Tvhclient is a nice client for scheduling recordings for handheld devices if that's what is needed.

I guess I could have tried to get Mythtv running in a container, but I have other stuff on my priority list, so probably someone is going to beat me to it. Hints @ something sparkly  ;)

To be honest I don't watch a great deal of Live or PVR TV.  It's essential for my wife to be happy, I have no need to use Myth or anything else over TVHeadEnd, the only reason I would use a Myth docker is out of curiosity.

I do believe that Myth has a lot of advanced features that some find necessary, and it certainly has some die-hard fans.

TVHClient is awesome, how did I not know this existed.  I've always been a bit puzzled why TVHeadEnd doesn't include a decent WebEPG view.

it's the only daft bit about tvheadend, it's like we'll make this fast lean tv server that is relatively easy to set up , but we will give it the shittiest default web thing (i don't know what to call it, because it isn't an EPG).

is all that backend setup for myth still gui based or have they grasped the modern world and gone webui ?

You can do somethings in mythweb but nearly as much as the actual gui.  really not an issue for me since I just use the KVM VNC instance.  Can't that also be done in a container?  No-VNC?

is all that backend setup for myth still gui based or have they grasped the modern world and gone webui ?

You can do somethings in mythweb but nearly as much as the actual gui.  really not an issue for me since I just use the KVM VNC instance.  Can't that also be done in a container?  No-VNC?

i'd point someone in the direction of one of my libreoffice rdp containers, as a starting point.

2. Push info button.

3. Push Autorec.

I like pretty.  :)

TBH...I could never understand the attraction to TVH.  I really believe that it is such a PITA for that average Windows user to setup that Linux guys fell in love with it.  :)  But I have always found it to be flaky...not to mention that it was quite a dead project for a while.

saarg...would the same Schedules Direct issue exist with Myth that does for TVH?

Paging all sparkly's...  :)

John

For me Mythtv was a PITA to set up, so I guess this is very indvidual :)

Tvheadend has worked rock solid here at least the last two years. And it's getting better as the development has been opened up for other people.

If you have to configure the tv_grab_thingy through command line, Mythtv docker would have the same problem.

2. Push info button.

3. Push Autorec.

it's the only daft bit about tvheadend, it's like we'll make this fast lean tv server that is relatively easy to set up , but we will give it the shittiest default web thing (i don't know what to call it, because it isn't an EPG).

I think the important part is that tvheadend is the backend and not a frontend. That is probably why the EPG isn't pretty. Like it is now it's pretty fast to schedule recordings from a desktop, but it's not pretty. For pretty scheduling you can use all the frontends available, like Kodi or TVhclient.

i'd point someone in the direction of one of my libreoffice rdp containers, as a starting point.

I was thinking along those lines also :)

2. Push info button.

3. Push Autorec.

TBH...I could never understand the attraction to TVH.  I really believe that it is such a PITA for that average Windows user to setup that Linux guys fell in love with it.  :)  But I have always found it to be flaky...not to mention that it was quite a dead project for a while.

saarg...would the same Schedules Direct issue exist with Myth that does for TVH?

John

For me Mythtv was a PITA to set up, so I guess this is very indvidual :)

Tvheadend has worked rock solid here at least the last two years. And it's getting better as the development has been opened up for other people.

If you have to configure the tv_grab_thingy through command line, Mythtv docker would have the same problem.

command line config would be easy, because it's gui based setup i'd propose an rdp container similar to my libreoffice one, to get access to the gui setup and a terminal inside the container itself.

I'd try Myth if it were a docker, (I understand fully why that isn't going to happen) but for the hassle I've had in the past each time I've tried to install it, I'll stick with good old TVHeadEnd.

It's funny you say that.  I think TVH is 10x more of a pain in the ass then Mythbuntu.  If you want help setting it up let me know and I can give you a hand offline.

BTW...why would Myth be any harder than TVH to setup in a container?  saarg did it with TVH.  Why would Myth be that much more challenging?

John

Oh John, don't tempt me with another project.  I'm a sucker for things like that, might take you up on the offer one day  ;D

I thought Myth has a lot more dependencies, MySQL etc, TVHeadEnd seems a lot easier. 

Although Mythbuntu makes it a bit easier.

Mythbuntu makes it very easy...at least for me since I have done it a half dozen times now.  What do you use for tuners?

This is what I love...Mythweb.  Makes setting up series recordings a breeze.

2. Push info button.

3. Push Autorec.

John

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:MythTV_structure#Video_sources

I thought I would chime in here as I use a mythbuntu vm on my unraid server now. As far as Schedules Direct goes its built into the drop down menu they give you to pick for epg guide data,at least it was for me when I setup it. I have HdHomeruns on my system working great. I tried to get sarge's tvheadend docker to work with schedules direct to check out what tvheadend was about but couldn't get it working with that webgrab plus.

I've been messing around with this idea as I also use schedulesdirect. Do you find it's very resource intensive to run it in an mythbuntu VM? I really wish there was an unraid docker for mythtv as it's what I use already and I love it. I've seen this: https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/jdef/mythtv/

although I don't know if could be forked or adapted.

Mythtv backend is very resource friendly. I run it with 2 cores and 2GB but it uses less than half that each.  I just have it setup for worst case scenario and I have extra cores and ram. Unless you need real time commercial skip for recording (I have it set to after recording its finished) and transcoding. I found Mythbuntu the easiest to setup and it supported my hd homerun prime cable card tuners. I can reinstall from scratch in less than an hour.

i'm having a stab at this, don't quote me on that, lol.

it may come to nothing, also it should be noted that i have no way to test this other than any connection to a kodi instance.

got bored and this looked like an interesting project.

Be glad to help test.  Just let me know.

it's built, gotta to do list though, lol.

initialise the database (inboard to the docker, less connection issues, and the docker is big already, a little bigger doesn't hurt)

sort out permissions issue with mythtv-backend app itself trying to run as root in rdp environment where the user is ubuntu

if and when i've done that, how to start the damn app itself and have it so it can be stopped to run the setup prog and restart afterwards.

a little bigger doesn't hurt

You haven't seen my wife's bottom....

You may want to delete this before she looks over you shoulder (assuming you mean it the way I think you mean it)!  :D

BTW...I'm super pumped about this!  I really hope sparkly can get it going.

John

I hope you're not talking about Mrs CHBMB! To be honest since we got married getting it going is a bit like jump starting an old motor..

I hope you're not talking about Mrs CHBMB! To be honest since we got married getting it going is a bit like jump starting an old motor..

I'm not making a docker for that.