[REQUEST] Mythtv Backend Docker please :)

a little bigger doesn't hurt

You haven't seen my wife's bottom....

BTW...I'm super pumped about this!  I really hope sparkly can get it going.

I hope you're not talking about Mrs CHBMB! To be honest since we got married getting it going is a bit like jump starting an old motor..

I'm not making a docker for that.

Don't worry mate, she's not keen on getting docked these days, special occasions, birthdays, if I've been good then maybe....

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a little bigger doesn't hurt

You haven't seen my wife's bottom....

BTW...I'm super pumped about this!  I really hope sparkly can get it going.

I hope you're not talking about Mrs CHBMB! To be honest since we got married getting it going is a bit like jump starting an old motor..

I'm not making a docker for that.

Don't worry mate, she's not keen on getting docked these days, special occasions, birthdays, if I've been good then maybe....

Why do I keep seeing images of Apollo 13 docking with the LEM?

Sparkly, out of interest purely, as I'm quite content with TVHeadEnd, does everything I need it to, what are the hurdles with getting this working with DVB sources like Saarg's TVHeadEnd docker?

at the moment i'm more concerned with just getting the thing going before getting on to anything like that.

Are you going to Gaucamole route with MythBuntu?

the form it's in at the moment is more the desktop in a docker style with connection through external rdp rather than the baked in style of handbrake etc.....

but just getting it working is the first thing to think about, although if it works in this format, if it ain't broke, don't fix it etc....

So I'm reading this correctly then? Someone IS going to try to make a mythtv :D docker and I don't have to run a full blown VM? Or am I honestly just better doing a Mythbuntu instance in KVM?

trying is the right word to use, and not getting very far.

for anything other than using it for homerun type devices or IPTV you're better off with a VM.

this is just a project to see if i can do it...

I use an HDHR and would require no media build or any tuners being passed. My dilemna is that I also use schedulesdirect. And to my understanding atm, the docker for tvheadend doesn't handle schedulesdirect grabbing very well. I'd love to use this in a docker as I imagine it would be less resource intense. Although if I have to upgrade my CPU to something with more cores and faster speed, nd a larger amount of ram and do a full blown KVM mythbuntu, then so be it. I am just wondering what my best option would be to eliminate the optiplex I have doing mythtv now. I'm open to whatever can combine both my NAS and PVR. Preferably keeping mythtv as it's EPG and recording handling work absolutely flawlessly with the Kodiu Add-Ons.

I use an HDHR and would require no media build or any tuners being passed. My dilemna is that I also use schedulesdirect. And to my understanding atm, the docker for tvheadend doesn't handle schedulesdirect grabbing very well. I'd love to use this in a docker as I imagine it would be less resource intense. Although if I have to upgrade my CPU to something with more cores and faster speed, nd a larger amount of ram and do a full blown KVM mythbuntu, then so be it. I am just wondering what my best option would be to eliminate the optiplex I have doing mythtv now. I'm open to whatever can combine both my NAS and PVR. Preferably keeping mythtv as it's EPG and recording handling work absolutely flawlessly with the Kodiu Add-Ons.

I haven't got it built yet, and it isn't a light undertaking, lol.

I have faith in you! You can do it!

one thing has become clear, i've had to abandon thinking of it as one container, it's going to be two with a dedicated sql container for it, that shouldn't be used for anything else. i still haven't got the main app even started yet though.

but in thinking more about the sql side of things, it led me to have a side project of a mariadb container with a built in web interface akin to phpmyadmin (but a bit lighter) to simplify database and user creation etc...

I think you're exactly right Sparky, there are so many things going on in mythtv's backend, the more I think about it a full VM may just be the way to go.... Correct me if I'm wrong (which I very well may be as I don't know much about dockers) but isn't the point to "try" to get an entire program into one easy to pop up anywhere docker? I understand some dockers work with others like Sonarr works with SAB, but neither of those takes more than one docker working together to make just it work on it's own. Am I wrong in this assumption or are a lot of unRAID dockers, or just dockers in general usually designed this way?

I think I just need a new processor and some more RAM to accommodate this KVM Mythbuntu VM and the dockers I'm already running. Do you guys think I'd have any issues with the system in my sig, but with a AMD A10-6800K Quad-Core APU Richland Processor 4.1GHz and 32GB of ram running a KVM Mythbuntu VM and dockers of Sonarr, Couchpotato, SABNzbd, and Plex (possibly up to 3 or 4 streams) ? I don't have much experience with KVM through unRAID, although from everything I've read people seem to like it very much.