[SUGGESTION] more colors in used space indicators

Point7

Hi, just upgraded from 10a to 12 without problems. I don't use plugins. Unraid here is a pure file server.

I've a suggestion for the new interface.

Is it possible to use more colors and not only percentages for USED disk space/utilisation in the dashboard and main tab ?

For example 0-70% = green

70 - 90% = orange

90 - 100% = red

PyO2aibt

Thanks and keep up the good work!

The use of colored bars is certainly possible, it should be introduced as an option though - not everybody would want/like it.

Also the thresholds must be made programmable, to define your own level of "healthy".

Attached a teaser in the black theme ...

(used the same color codings as are used in the optional 'stats' plugin)

colored_bars.png.1ef65e7d2e6022ca5939bc0300505cd6.png

Make the colors configurable, example.

This could be loaded into some array from an .ini file.

Values > then a theshold number use the color until you run out of thresholds.

90% = #FF0000

80% = #FFFF00

This could go as far as Individual drive thresholds

[disk1]

90% = #FF0000

80% = #FFFF00

[total]

90% = #FF0000

80% = #FFFF00

Point is, I don't really want to see RED on this screen unless I HAVE to react to something.

Active system drives usually require a different threshold then archive drives.

Your total array threshold may be different then the individual drive threshold.

For the color blind, they can use 50 shades of grey or whatever colors suite them best.

It would also be nice if you can have the option of free space left instead of percentage.  I know that there are people on this forum that like their drives as full as possible for greater read speeds on the outer edges of the disk.  This way you can set it to your min free space setting so that you know that your files will copy over to that disk.

there are people on this forum that like their drives as full as possible for greater read speeds on the outer edges of the disk.
That statement makes my brain hurt. Can you explain what you mean? Maybe a link to a page explaining this phenomenon?

I for instance use my server for Blu-ray backups so I have a min free space set to 50 GB.  Before I did that, if I tried to copy a 25 GB file to a share that all disks that had less than 25 GB free the file will not copy to the array, and if use a cache drive the file will not move off the cache drive.

unRAID works just like any other storage solution in the fact that there is not enough room for a file it will not copy over.  Being able to easily see that a disk is running low on a given amount of free space would be great.

Using a percentage is not as useful for people that use different sized disks.  50 GB of free space is a larger percentage of a 1.5TB (3.33%) drive than a 3TB (1.66%) drive. 

I was wondering about this statement.

there are people on this forum that like their drives as full as possible for greater read speeds on the outer edges of the disk.

I am perfectly aware of the disadvantages of a full disk, I just was wondering about this speed increase you are talking about. AFAIK, every hard drive manufactured recently places the fastest outer platters at the beginning of the mapped space, so if the drive is full, you are writing to the slowest part of the drive, not the fastest.

I may be mistaken, and I always welcome the opportunity to expand my knowledge, so I was wondering if you could help educate me on the speed increases when the drive is full?

I was wondering about this statement.

I am perfectly aware of the disadvantages of a full disk, I just was wondering about this speed increase you are talking about. AFAIK, every hard drive manufactured recently places the fastest outer platters at the beginning of the mapped space, so if the drive is full, you are writing to the slowest part of the drive, not the fastest.

I may be mistaken, and I always welcome the opportunity to expand my knowledge, so I was wondering if you could help educate me on the speed increases when the drive is full?

I have seen multiple posts in this forum by well known members explaining that the outer edges of the disk spin faster than the inner portion causing data to be read at a faster rate and that is why they leave their disks so full.  I have no first hand knowledge of this but I have seen this multiple times on this forum.  But what I have seen in my personal system is as my parity checks get closer to the end they go up from 80 to 120 and have an average parity check of 100.  If parity checks go from inner to outer this may explain what I see and what others have claimed.

AFAIK read speed is faster on the outer edge of a drive which is the first to fill up. The inside closest to the spindle is when a drive is near full.

case in point.

3TB 7200 RPM - ST3000DM001 - These are very fast drives for spinners

Raw DD of outer tracks.

root@unRAID1:# dd of=/dev/null bs=1024 count=10240000 if=/dev/sdc

10240000+0 records in

10240000+0 records out

10485760000 bytes (10 GB) copied, 58.0042 s, 181 MB/s

Block count

root@unRAID:# cat /proc/partitions  | grep sdc

8      32 2930266584 sdc

root@unRAID:# /boot/bin/calc

; 2930266584-10240000

Raw DD of blocks near end of drive.

root@unRAID:# dd of=/dev/null bs=1024 count=10240000 skip=2920026584 if=/dev/sdc

10240000+0 records in

10240000+0 records out

10485760000 bytes (10 GB) copied, 110.131 s, 95.2 MB/s