Re: unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta12-x86_64 SPINDOWN/SPINUP ISSUES

209 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have a total of 46 WD green/red drives in two servers, all the greens have WDIDLE disabled. I don't believe reds have that feature, they don't experience the load count problem so I never ran it on them.

Most of my reds won't spin down, and a couple of my green won't either.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've monitored it enough I can say with 100% certainty that my disk1 spins up when I access the web interface. It won't do it right away if I manually spin down the disks but if it's been a while since I've accessed the interface it happens every time. It doesn't even seem to matter which tab of the interface. For example, it just did it when I refreshed the docker tab.

I've monitored it enough I can say with 100% certainty that my disk1 spins up when I access the web interface. It won't do it right away if I manually spin down the disks but if it's been a while since I've accessed the interface it happens every time. It doesn't even seem to matter which tab of the interface. For example, it just did it when I refreshed the docker tab.

I've noticed this too. I'll start up my windows box and start my browser that included at times an unraid tab, I would hear some of the unraid disks spin up (towers are in the same room).

I thought it was the network drive I had to my music, but I got rid of that and it still occurs. Doesn't happen each time I boot the box. Never really played shutdown/boot to see if it was the same disk, how many times, etc.

I recall that even on login it would happen after entering my password to get into windows.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to recreate tonight on one of my test machines at home.  This is the FOURTH machine I've tested on.  Good news is that on an internal development build, I'm NOT having this issue anymore, so I think some of the lower level changes we made in this build internally just happened to fix it.  Crossing my fingers on this, but until the next release is pushed out and we get feedback from folks here, we won't know for sure.  At least it looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel.

So much for being a plugin issue, I could have told you it wasn't from my testing. ;)

Can we have an ETA for this build? My 4 EARS drives have been spinning continuously since b12 was released and i don't want to roll back if b13 is later this week.

Very soon.

...?

I was able to recreate tonight on one of my test machines at home.  This is the FOURTH machine I've tested on.  Good news is that on an internal development build, I'm NOT having this issue anymore, so I think some of the lower level changes we made in this build internally just happened to fix it.  Crossing my fingers on this, but until the next release is pushed out and we get feedback from folks here, we won't know for sure.  At least it looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel.

So much for being a plugin issue, I could have told you it wasn't from my testing. ;)

Can we have an ETA for this build? My 4 EARS drives have been spinning continuously since b12 was released and i don't want to roll back if b13 is later this week.

Very soon.

...?

Ok folks, it's out...beta13.  Please report back if this issue is still persisting for anyone.  Thanks.

My drive still doesn't spin down after the beta13 update.

WDC_WD20EARS-00MVWB0_WD-WCAZA4999014

Running Powerdown and APC UPS plugins with unRaid in Xen mode and one VM on an SSD outside of the array. I can provide more information if it is helpful.

Gary

So far it's only affecting 2 of my ~40 drives, instead of ~6 of them.

WDC_WD30EZRS-00J99B0

WDC_WD40EFRX-68WT0N0

Sometimes they spin up and never spin down again unless I manually do it. Especially seems to happen with my WD Red drives. Other specs in signature. It always seems like the same drives are doing it, while others of the same model # are unaffected. Strange thing is they are all connected exactly the same, exact same SAS controllers, with the exact same firmware.

Same results with my disks.  Only disk2 spins down.  Disk1 and Disk3 remain spun up.

Disk1 WDC WD10EARS-00MVWB0 <-- remains spun-up  Has Movies share on it accessed by Couchpotato NZBGet and Plex

Disk2 WDC WD15EARS-00S8B1 <-- spins down as expected. Has Music and Music Video shares on it. Only Subsonic docker accesses Music files and Plex Music Videos.

Disk3 WDC WD20EFRX-68EUZN0 <-- remains spun-up. Has TV Series share on it. Used by NZBdrone NZBGet and Plex.

Use APCupsd plugin, power down and various Docker apps.

Kryspy

Still around in beta14 for me as well.

I had watched Plex last night and the two disks where content was accessed were still spinning this morning.

In 10a, those would have spun down. So I don't understand what would keep them up now, as I had never found a file that was open using lsof.

The spin up culprit when I was away always puzzled me as well back when I tried beta12, but it could have been happening in 10a and I just never noticed as the disks were able to spin down.

I'll try out stopping all dockers again on Monday when no one is home, but that same test for me during beta12 still showed the issue. I never did boot into vanilla unraid, always xen.

Still around in beta14 for me as well.

I had watched Plex last night and the two disks where content was accessed were still spinning this morning.

In 10a, those would have spun down. So I don't understand what would keep them up now, as I had never found a file that was open using lsof.

The spin up culprit when I was away always puzzled me as well back when I tried beta12, but it could have been happening in 10a and I just never noticed as the disks were able to spin down.

I'll try out stopping all dockers again on Monday when no one is home, but that same test for me during beta12 still showed the issue. I never did boot into vanilla unraid, always xen.

I doubt that the issue is tied to docker and plugins, but want to rule it out nonetheless.

Its probably something with dynamix but can't be certain of what just yet (just a hunch).

but ... when I have my browser closed (=no Dynamix active) and do a check the next morning I do have a number of disks not spun down !

Can't really pinpoint the cause  :-\

Does the monitor script still run with the browser closed?

but ... when I have my browser closed (=no Dynamix active) and do a check the next morning I do have a number of disks not spun down !

Can't really pinpoint the cause  :-\

Does the monitor script still run with the browser closed?

Eh yeah, anything notification related runs on crontab, but in B14 it can be completely disabled.

Eh yeah, anything notification related runs on crontab, but in B14 it can be completely disabled.

I was actually going to ask the same question for a different reason (my own purposes), but after JonP mentioned Dynamix I thought that that where he was going with it (could be wrong).  Could the monitor script be keeping the drives spun up with the smartctl calls?

I was actually going to ask the same question for a different reason (my own purposes), but after JonP mentioned Dynamix I thought that that where he was going with it (could be wrong).  Could the monitor script be keeping the drives spun up with the smartctl calls?

Monitor script does not run smartctl itself, this is done as part of emhttp.

I am doing a test myself to see if there is a difference between notifications on and off ...

Should have been more specific.  Dynamix to me is anything we add as far as features in the webUI.  That's probably not fair because a lot of those features are dependent on other things built into our OS.  Curious if folks disable notifications if the issues with spin up go away.

Anyone with a stock build confirm for me this issue persists?  The test system I had that I could replicate on this is NOT doing this with a stock beta14.  If you have any plugins on the system, please remove, reboot, and tell me if the issue persists.  Need some help narrowing this one down.

FYI, when I say Plugins, I do not mean containers / VMs, just plugins.