Re: unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta12-x86_64 SPINDOWN/SPINUP ISSUES

Eh yeah, anything notification related runs on crontab, but in B14 it can be completely disabled.

I was actually going to ask the same question for a different reason (my own purposes), but after JonP mentioned Dynamix I thought that that where he was going with it (could be wrong).  Could the monitor script be keeping the drives spun up with the smartctl calls?

Monitor script does not run smartctl itself, this is done as part of emhttp.

I am doing a test myself to see if there is a difference between notifications on and off ...

My test system has notifications off so far as well.  I will be turning them on in a bit to see if I can get the issue to start occurring as a result.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I still have this issue under beta14. I'll test the rest of the evening and see if I can provide some useful information.

Currently booting in unRAID w/ Xen. 1 SSD mounted outside of the array with a Windows 7 VM running on it.

Notifications are disabled, no plugins, no unMenu, no dockers, and clean go file except for mounting the SSD.

Gary

So, this is the disk I have been having spin down problems with:

Disk 9 - WDC_WD20EARS-00MVWB0_WD-WCAZA4999014 (sdm)

After my previous post and the drive still not spinning down, I changed Settings -> Display Settings -> Page update frequency to disabled. Still no luck. Here is where things get weird.

I Change the spin down timer.

Let the server idle.

All drives spin down.

Spin the drives back up.

Repeat.

I have repeated these steps 5 times now and this works every time. Now if I leave the spin down time alone. I'm back to the same behavior where drive 9 does not spin down.

I've attached a syslog, disk.cfg, and go file if that helps.

Gary

syslog.txt

disk.cfg

go.txt

So, this is the disk I have been having spin down problems with:

Disk 9 - WDC_WD20EARS-00MVWB0_WD-WCAZA4999014 (sdm)

After my previous post and the drive still not spinning down, I changed Settings -> Display Settings -> Page update frequency to disabled. Still no luck. Here is where things get weird.

I Change the spin down timer.

Let the server idle.

All drives spin down.

Spin the drives back up.

Repeat.

I have repeated these steps 5 times now and this works every time. Now if I leave the spin down time alone. I'm back to the same behavior where drive 9 does not spin down.

I've attached a syslog, disk.cfg, and go file if that helps.

Gary

Did you change the spin down timer for the individual disk 9, or the global setting ?

As said earlier (but no one was really listening  :-[ ) I think what would help is if smart monitoring could be disabled completely. I understand this is not currently possible, but maybe a test build was where this is factory disabled? Maybe only for a limited set of people here. Even if this will cause hiccups and non-working functions in Dynamix we could test out if it has a positive impact on the spin down issue.

I was getting this problem on 6b12a and I have updated to 6b14 and still not solved. 

Unfortunately I'm too scared of Mrs CHBMB to remove all the plugins, so still have Virtual Machine Management & SNAP installed as I use them for a Virtual Machine running a PVR backend, I daren't remove her access to TV  ::)

Will restart the server tomorrow and post logs

I was getting this problem on 6b12a and I have updated to 6b14 and still not solved. 

Unfortunately I'm too scared of Mrs CHBMB to remove all the plugins, so still have Virtual Machine Management & SNAP installed as I use them for a Virtual Machine running a PVR backend, I daren't remove her access to TV  ::)

Will restart the server tomorrow and post logs

Dont blame you at all. Mrs JonP is the same way ;-)

I've got you all beat.  Mrs. Kryspy + inlaws of Mrs. Kryspy via Plex remote access.

Kryspy

Still think I win, my wife's a pathologist, she eviscerates people, it scares me....  :o

Anyways, here are my logs from a quick test today once I got back from my night shift.

All plugins uninstalled, no dockers running, no VMs, nothing, although I think I left notifications on by mistake if I'm being completely honest.. ::)

It was disk8 (sdl) that doesn't spindown, and it's model number is WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0

EDIT:  It does, however, spindown completely normally with a manual spindown from the webgui.  No spinup groups are defined and I set the default spindown time to 15mins, removed all the plugins and started from a fresh boot before the test.

Hope it helps.

disk.cfg

syslog.txt

go.txt

I've got you all beat.  Mrs. Kryspy + inlaws of Mrs. Kryspy via Plex remote access.

Kryspy

Still think I win, my wife's a pathologist, she eviscerates people, it scares me....  :o

Anyways, here are my logs from a quick test today once I got back from my night shift.

All plugins uninstalled, no dockers running, no VMs, nothing, although I think I left notifications on by mistake if I'm being completely honest.. ::)

It was disk8 (sdl) that doesn't spindown, and it's model number is WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0

EDIT:  It does, however, spindown completely normally with a manual spindown from the webgui.  No spinup groups are defined and I set the default spindown time to 15mins, removed all the plugins and started from a fresh boot before the test.

Hope it helps.

If spun down manually, does it spin back up on its own without being accessed?

Mine doesn't. It stays spun down until accessed like you would expect. For me, that is usually all day until 3 AM when my Windows backups run.

Gary

Ok, so once it's accessed again and it spins up, it won't spin down again like the other disks unless you manually click to spin it down from within the webGui?  Is that accurate?

Mine doesn't. It stays spun down until accessed like you would expect. For me, that is usually all day until 3 AM when my Windows backups run.

Gary

Ok, so once it's accessed again and it spins up, it won't spin down again like the other disks unless you manually click to spin it down from within the webGui?  Is that accurate?

That's correct.

Gary

That's correct.

Ok, can you confirm for me that the drive is actually truly spun down?  The way to test this would be to attempt accessing the disk after it's spun down to ensure there is a delay to access.  This of course means you can't have the cache_dirs plugin installed.

If the drive truly is spinning down when manually invoked, I am very happy because that means this is probably a simpler fix than I was anticipating.

Gary

That's correct.

Ok, can you confirm for me that the drive is actually truly spun down?  The way to test this would be to attempt accessing the disk after it's spun down to ensure there is a delay to access.  This of course means you can't have the cache_dirs plugin installed.

If the drive truly is spinning down when manually invoked, I am very happy because that means this is probably a simpler fix than I was anticipating.

Yeah, this is the behavior that I'm seeing. Manually spinning down the drives and verifying through the webGUI shows they are all spun down. Then accessing a share folder takes 15 seconds or so as the drives spin up. Once they are spun up, I can navigate through the folders normally.

Another thing I have tried is to put disk 9 on its own spinup group to see if it will spin down on lack of inactivity. That didn't work. I also tried setting disk 9 to have its own spin down time instead of using the default and that didn't work either.

One other thing that I might try is to put disk 9 on a motherboard SATA port instead of the Supermicro HBA to see if that makes a difference, but I don't know if that would help point you guys in any useful direction.

Gary

Kryspy

Hope it helps.

Bugger....

Knew I'd forgot something.

Sorry

I have been seeing a spin down issue with my parity drive: WDC_WD40EZRX-00SPEB0.  Sometimes I will find the array in the condition of all the data drives spun down and the parity drive spun up.  All data and parity drives are set to the default spin down delay. Under normal operating conditions, this should never happen, correct? I think this shows that my issue is not due to applications or clients accessing files on the array.

I've now been able to reproduce the issue consistently by spinning up the problem drive by itself in the webgui and then letting the spin down delay time pass.  The syslog shows the automatic spin down, but the disk does not appear to spin down.  If it does spin down, it spins back up within seconds.

Some things that do NOT always produce the issue:

• Manual spin down, whether issued through the webgui or command line hdparm
  • Spin up all disks at the same time and wait for auto spin down
  • Let mover run and see in the log that parity is spun down at the same time as another disk

It appears that if the automatic spin down command is issued to the problem disk along with other disk(s), then everything works as expected. But if the automatic spin down command is issued solely to the problem disk, then the problem happens.

If I disable WD Idle I cannot reproduce the problem, so it seems like the issue is caused by an interaction between WD Idle and the unRAID auto spin down sequence.

Let me know if you want more information, otherwise will disable WD Idle and move on.