XBMC/KODI-Headless Docker

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks right,  but who knows

sudo docker run -d --name=xbmc -–net=host -e MYSQLip:192.168.0.146 -e MYSQLport:3306 -e MYSQLuser:xbmc -e MYSQLpass:xbmc -–privileged -v /appdata/kodi:/root.xbmc sparklyballs/xbmc-headless

flag provided but not defined: -–net

I'm pulling this again on my separate docker server outside of unraid.

give this a whirl

sudo docker run -e MYSQLip:192.168.0.146 -e MYSQLport:3306 -e MYSQLuser:xbmc -e MYSQLpass:xbmc  -d --name=xbmc -p 8089:8089 --name=xbmc  --privileged -v /appdata/kodi:/root/.xbmc sparklyballs/xbmc-headless

that should get you up and running.

I'll go over the command when the pull is done.

i think i may have discoverd a major GOTCHA in running my image outside of unraid, the permissions will be all wrong and it won't put in the mysql values, unfortunately i rigged it to be idiot proof and will always put the values in, so you can't manually edit the file.

there is another way round this but it requires a build again.

keep your run command handy, lol.

This is better than what I had before.  Now the url works,  before it failed so this a 100 times farther.  If only I knew why wernerb image doesn't start,  but that isn't really your problem...

Using his would let me outside of unraid,  I think.

But the again,  won't all this change with helix anyway?

i think i may have discoverd a major GOTCHA in running my image outside of unraid, the permissions will be all wrong and it won't put in the mysql values, unfortunately i rigged it to be idiot proof and will always put the values in, so you can't manually edit the file.

there is another way round this but it requires a build again.

keep your run command handy, lol.

clean up any images/containers we have generated thus far...

then try this

git clone https://github.com/sparklyballs/XBMC-Headless.git

or download the zip if you don't have git , from

https://github.com/sparklyballs/XBMC-Headless

cd into the directory

cd XBMC-Headless

MOST IMPORTANT BIT HERE

nano Dockerfile

remove this block

# Configure user nobody to match unRAID's settings

RUN \

usermod -u 99 nobody && \

usermod -g 100 nobody && \

usermod -d /home nobody && \

chown -R nobody:users /home

I CAN'T STRESS IMPORTANCE OF TAKING OUT THAT BLOCK

then for the compile , gonna take an age i'm afraid

docker build --rm=true -t sparklyballs/xbmc-headless .

then all being well, go with the run command that worked before including the variables.

smakovits, my bad, i didn't do a build via the command line with the new variables being added in so i got the command line syntax wrong for variables, the delimiter is = and not : for variables, so the run command should be this instead.

docker run -e MYSQLip=192.168.0.146 -e MYSQLport=3306 -e MYSQLuser=xbmc -e MYSQLpass=xbmc  -d --name=xbmc -p 8089:8089 --name=xbmc  --privileged -v /appdata/kodi:/root/.xbmc sparklyballs/xbmc-headless

Does Xbmc have the ability to run as a specific user,  like this

docker create --name=mariadb -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro -v <path to data>:/config -e PGID=<gid> -e PUID=<uid> -p 3306:3306 lonix/mariadb

Not with this particular container, at least not without some rewriting of the Dockerfile.

The wernerb container allows you to select gotham or helix.  I'm not sure if you've stripped that functionality out sparky

werner's helix version is only a branch in github, but as helix isn't final yet i've decided not to go that route yet.

Also as now kodi version 15 is now the master branch in kodi git, the experimental branch of werner's container will pull that.

I know i have said this before but I would drop effort on everything but producing a trivial to instal Helix headless. It is all but live and very soon that is what everyone will be running. This that hang out on old versions will be doing so without support since XBMC as an entity will be "old".

FYI Helix is for me at least the most stable version ever on both old and new hardware.

I know i have said this before but I would drop effort on everything but producing a trivial to instal Helix headless. It is all but live and very soon that is what everyone will be running. This that hang out on old versions will be doing so without support since XBMC as an entity will be "old".

FYI Helix is for me at least the most stable version ever on both old and new hardware.

I worked on gotham to get a feel for docker and getting the hang of templates and passing variables etc...

I'm just piecing together a helix version right now.

Shout if we can help because I think this could be one of the most popular containers here

It's currently building over on docker hub, it's a long build, so i running it there.

it's too early on a saturday morning for this kind of thing (well was when i started, lol) so i expect it to fall over on first build.

Some of us are stuck on Gotham until our arm based XBMC appliances have an upgrade path.  That's if they ever do get an upgrade path.

I think a load of people will be in the same boat with essentially EOL support :( But at least you can stick on a known to work docker and leave best alone.