How to securely share with a windows 8.1 box that has @sign in username?

I am quite new here, but am wondering how i solve this problem,  I have an email address as a user name on a couple of windows 8.1 machines on my network - I can't create a user in unraid beta 6-12 to set up a share that is secure.  Am i missing something or can anyone suggest a solution for this while still using that f'd up windows username?

What you want is called "Credential Manager" and it's located in the "Control Panel". You want the selection [Windows Credentials]. You then want to select [Add a Windows credential]. You should see the following screen where you can enter in a simple username/password that you setup on unRAID.

Here's a lot more details on this -- http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/manage-network-logon-credentials-in-microsoft-windows/

Add_Windows_Credentials.png.a7bc341822d5ac42c04af4c6a2a69ed9.png

Brit, thanks for your help - This is what ended up working for me specifically. 

Add a windows credential - internet address: Tower

username: computername\username

password:password

I got hung up just putting the username in without the computer name first, i found the format by looking at a few different shares.

I'm quickly realizing what a great and knowledgeable person you are Brit.  Thanks very much!

• 7 years later...

Attention! Even though the a.m. solution will work, it still is just a workaround.... 😉

There is a better, officially supported way of adding a Microsoft @ account to a SAMBA server.

Go to this thread/message where I described it in more detail:

Have fun and with best regards

DaKarli.