New “Shingled” Hard Drives Hold Terabytes For Pennies A Gig

nickcardwell

The shingled technology results in fairly slow writes, but doesn't impact read speeds ... so these will be very fast for reading from the drives.  With an areal density of 1.33TB/platter they'll outperform virtually any of the other 5900rpm drives for reads.    Writes will indeed be notably slower.

True -- if you have a cache drive the write speeds won't matter; and the reads aren't impacted by the technology, so they'll be VERY fast ... in fact, with that areal density the sustained data rate of a 5900 rpm drive will be better than it would be with 7200 rpm drives using 1TB/platter or lower densities.

These are "archival" drives, so they're intended to be written to infrequently.  That's fine for disks under unRAID - except the parity disk.  What's not entirely clear is whether you're not supposed to use these drives in a frequent-write scenario because they're slow, or because they can become unreliable.  I have a suspicion it's the latter.  I'm just not sure how tracks will hold up when other tracks that partially overlap them are being constantly re-written.

Much as I would love swapping out some of my 2TB drives for these reasonably-priced 8TB monsters, I'm going to hold off until somebody really breaks one in for a while to see if it holds up.