[Solved] Upgrade question re: simple features

I just finished purchasing a key for the Plus flavor of unRAID.  I have been using 5.0 Beta 14 with Simple Features installed. 

I looked at the upgrade page and is shows:

Prepare the flash: either shutdown your server and plug the flash into your PC or Stop the array and perform the following actions referencing the flash share on your network:

Copy the files bzimage and bzroot from the zip file to the root of your flash device, overwriting the same-named files already there.

Reboot your server. Once boot-up has completed, you should see "Stopped. Configuration valid." array status with all disks assigned correctly.

Click on each disk link on the Main page and examine the Partition format field. If you see "MBR: error", or "MBR: unknown" for any disk, do not Start the array; instead post your finding in the Forum announcement thread for this release. If everything looks ok, click Start to bring the array on-line.

Go to Utils/New Permissions and execute that utility to change file ownership and permission settings. This is necessary for proper operation of the 5.0 security model.

Since I have Simple features installed, will this upgrade route still work properly?  I don't want to do anything to trash the data I have already backed up during the upgrade.

Thanks.

Remove Simplefeatures. It is not fully compatible with v5 and is no longer being supported or developed. Dynamix is the new improved replacement for Simplefeatures, and in fact is now the official UI in v6 betas.

That has been my plan.  I spent yesterday preclearing and adding three drives to the array before delving into the 5.0.6 upgrade.

I have decided to ensure I start out with a true, stable system by re-fomatting the flash and installing 5.0.6. However, I don't want to lose the shares and data I have stored.  This will also get rid of the various folders and files that came from unMenu and simple features that I played with originally.

I suppose I need to keep and then replace the various configuration files and shares folders.

Any other suggestions in order to return the basic system to it's current state but with a fresh system install without add ons?

Thank you.

Sounds like a plan. One more question before I jump into the upgrade.

I noticed the size of the syslinux.exe file in the new stable release is larger than the one installed with my 5.0beta14.  Is that also a file I need to copy to properly upgrade?

Thank you for your help.

trurl,

I had one curiosity question for you.  I noticed while unloading some addons that after re-booting, the 'sdx' drive assignments changed.  The drive locations did not change and I was very careful to ensure the drives were still where they should be, parity in particular.

Why do the drive letter assignments change like that?  Since my system is running fine, it clearly is not an issue.  But, I can see where someone who is going to run preclear on new drives after install might end up clearing the wrong drive.

trurl,

I had one curiosity question for you.  I noticed while unloading some addons that after re-booting, the 'sdx' drive assignments changed.  The drive locations did not change and I was very careful to ensure the drives were still where they should be, parity in particular.

Why do the drive letter assignments change like that?  Since my system is running fine, it clearly is not an issue.  But, I can see where someone who is going to run preclear on new drives after install might end up clearing the wrong drive.

That's just how Linux works. The drive letters can change drastically between reboots. It has to do with random timings on which drive responds first on bootup. This is also why preclude has precautions and won't let you run it on a drive in the array.

trurl,

Everything can change and the disk assignments should stay the same assuming your config file is present and valid. I changed all my hardware before (including motherboard) and they still came up in the right configuration. You can change SATA ports, drive locations, all that stuff and Unraid won't care because it uses serial numbers for drive assignments.

You can also change which drive is disk1/disk2, etc no problem, I changed mine a couple times to match the physical location of a drive so I could easily find it in the event I need to.