New Business Model = More help with componenets/building

dstroot

With the new business model I would suggest a LOT more help with recommened components, how to's, etc.  The ability to do a quick pick list of readily available, inexpensive but good, componenets and advice on how to hook stuff up would be really helpful and should mate well with the new approach.

The current recommended list is pretty out of date and one has to really comb the forum for build advice.  It's challenging...

• 5 months later...

IMHO this is a serious problem!  The ONLY thing keeping me from ordering a few pro keys is finding compatible hardware.  I refuse to go spend money on hardware that may or may not prove compatible.  Some might say that there are examples of system components that work in the forums, but they are either no longer readily available or more expensive solutions.  How much work could it take to throw together at least a basic list of mobos that will work?  Also, the other problem I see is the lack of R&D on AMD components and solutions.  I know Tom has said that he doesn't have any AMD hardware available, but you can easily buy a low end AMD cpu/mobo for under $100 and RAM from one of his Intel systems could be used to at least get some kind of compatibility foundation for AMD systems. 

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT trying to slam Tom here.  I just believe that this is a big problem area for unRAID and it could be improved rather cheaply and without a lot of effort.

Hi all,

I have had my two unRaid servers running for about two years now (I was a very early adaptor of the unRaid system).

I started with the recommended Intel microATX motherboard (discontinued), Promise controller card, and the CM Stacker case.

Everything went together nicely and worked with a minimum amount of problems. Tom was very helpful and always available by email when I needed help before this forum was created.

If you feel that you do not want to spend half an hour researching this forum to determine what combinations of motherboards, controllers, and case/power supplies will work together to build an unRaid server, then maybe you ought to buy something off the shelf from a major computer manufacturer.

Just a thought.

Regards,

TCIII

Hi all,

I have had my two unRaid servers running for about two years now (I was a very early adaptor of the unRaid system).

I started with the recommended Intel microATX motherboard (discontinued), Promise controller card, and the CM Stacker case.

Everything went together nicely and worked with a minimum amount of problems. Tom was very helpful and always available by email when I needed help before this forum was created.

I'm glad it all worked well for you and was easy to get going.  You had an advantage in that there was a "recommended" board back then verified by Tom to work with unRAID.  What is the recommended board now?  All I'm suggesting is a couple of recommended boards for both Intel and AMD so that users can purchase a system with a little piece of mind that it will work properly.  Tom himself has acknowledged this is needed.

If you feel that you do not want to spend half an hour researching this forum to determine what combinations of motherboards, controllers, and case/power supplies will work together to build an unRaid server, then maybe you ought to buy something off the shelf from a major computer manufacturer.

Just a thought.

Regards,

TCIII

That's a poor attitude.  Tom is trying to sell a product here.  A product that is dependent on hardware to run on.  Making users search for what hardware will work with unRAID can't be good for business.  On top of that, how much stock should potential buyers put in posts claiming that a particular mobo works?  Few posts have much follow up reporting on the particulars such as parity sync and/or parity check performance.  It is known that some boards will work but exhibit very poor parity performance.  Someone who doesn't know what the performance should be may think all is well and report that their board works fine with unRAID.  You must also consider that some of the boards that people have posted as working may be new and more expensive than a user wants to spend or require updated components such as video, RAM, or CPU when the user may be looking to take advantage of older hardware they have lying around.  Other boards posted are older and no longer easy to find.

I concede that Tom has tried to help out with this issue by giving away the 3 drive version for free, but that only helps if you already have the hardware to try.  It doesn't help those needing to buy hardware.  Who wants to buy hardware specifically to run unRAID and have to hope it works?  I realize Tom can't test every board for every scenario, but IMHO it would be a huge benefit to have at least a couple boards that are verified to work by Tom, not some yahoo on a message board (no offense to those who have posted about hardware).

I suggest that a new topic be started under GENERAL called SUPPORTED HARDWARE. In that topic several stickies for each piece of hardware (eg Motherboards, Power Supplies, Processors, etc.). In each sticky a list of model numbers ONLY is made categorized by manufacture. If everyone in the forum adds to the sticky their WORKING equipment, it will take no time to make an organized list of all working hardware.