The spambot

RobJ

Just wanted to express my appreciation to all of those who have reported spam posts recently.  Thank you!

The sooner a spam is reported, the sooner a moderator can ban the perpetrator, and block further spam from them, and possibly any more from the same IP.  This particular spambot is often reusing IP's (with different user names), so blocking them has made a difference.  I know that some don't like to block an IP, because you could be blocking a legitimate user in the future when assigned to this one, and secondly because the IP may have been spoofed.  But my feeling is that there's a good chance the block *will* be effective, and the chance a legitimate user will be blocked from the UnRAID forum seems incredibly small.

How to report a spam post?  Just click that 'Report to moderator' link at the bottom right of every post, and an email will almost immediately be sent to each of the moderators.  Please don't click it unnecessarily, as we moderators are only human and have been interrupted by quite a lot of spam posts recently!

Perhaps forum registration should be changed to need approval before the account is allowed to post, at least until the current wave of attacks is done.

An excellent idea -- this latest wave is really a nuisance.  Of course, doing that would move the hassle of getting rid of all the spam posts from the mods to the folks at LimeTech -- but at least they could let them all queue up and process a batch at a time.

I would suggest looking to see if SMF has a StopForumSpam plugin. I did a quick search and was directed to this one -- http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1519 -- http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=279621.0 .

For the Xenforo sites I run it is built in with native support for free. It's been a godsend -- nearly all spam bots are stopped during the registration process, before the account is even created.

Alright guys, you can call off your russian spam bots... we hear you loud and clear!  We'll release unRAID 6 ASAP!  :P

Umm... haha? I think? Joking about unraid release dates isn't very funny to many of us. Please stop promising stuff unless you really are going to meet the date. I'm cool with however long it takes to get it right, really. Just don't set a date and ignore it.

I'm glad you guys are extremely thorough, keep up the good work on protecting our data. I'll wait as long as it takes for you to be satisfied. Just don't tell us it's going to be ready before it really is.

Sorry, I just had to vent a little.

• 2 months later...

We were getting over 20-30 registrations per day by spammers on our forum which was driving out moderators spare.  I've got this reduced to the odd one or two a week by putting in a number of SMF mods what work together to combat the bots.  There is also a manual checking procedure for moderators that speeds up checking of members.

I won't detail them out there, but I'm happy to let you know what we implemented so you can duplicate it. :)

We were getting over 20-30 registrations per day by spammers on our forum which was driving out moderators spare.  I've got this reduced to the odd one or two a week by putting in a number of SMF mods what work together to combat the bots.  There is also a manual checking procedure for moderators that speeds up checking of members.

I won't detail them out there, but I'm happy to let you know what we implemented so you can duplicate it. :)

Would love a PM with the details.  Thanks.