Any News on Port Multiplier Support

jazbo8

So has anyone bought one of these and implemented it? If so how's it working?

I have pretty much the same thing although re-branded.  The top slot failed pretty quick for me, so I'm only using 4 drives.  There may be a bit of a bottle neck when doing parity if you're using all 5 drives over SATA 2 on a PCI-e 1x slot which would be 250/5=50mbytes/sec per drive minus overhead.  I still find the whole idea of having it separate from the server a little awkward.

Stock cooling fans were uselessly loud and 15mm, I replaced them with fairly silent ones mounted using the same holes but externally with grills which reduced the noise significantly while still maintaining 5-10C above ambient.

• 2 weeks later...

I have pretty much the same thing although re-branded.  The top slot failed pretty quick for me, so I'm only using 4 drives.  There may be a bit of a bottle neck when doing parity if you're using all 5 drives over SATA 2 on a PCI-e 1x slot which would be 250/5=50mbytes/sec per drive minus overhead.  I still find the whole idea of having it separate from the server a little awkward.

Stock cooling fans were uselessly loud and 15mm, I replaced them with fairly silent ones mounted using the same holes but externally with grills which reduced the noise significantly while still maintaining 5-10C above ambient.

I'm in the process of replacing the 8 400 GB drives I have in my server with 1.5 TB ones. I was thinking of this kind of case as a place to use the old 400 GB ones.

Are you sure the fans were less than 3/4 of an inch wide? That's tiny.