[support] pducharme's Dockers support thread

Thanks for quick update. Sorry to hear some of your hardware was caught by the EOL changes.

For now will plan on staying with 5.6 line.  Planing a deployment that might need 5.7 line but not needed for now.

Thanks

Edited by Grizz
31 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Thanks for quick update. Sorry to hear some of your hardware was caught by the EOL changes.

For now will plan on staying with 5.6 line.  Planing a deployment that might need 5.7 line but not needed for now.

Thanks

Eventually, i'll offer a 2nd branch that will be on the 5.7 version, just when i'll have a bit more time.

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking in on this. Maybe we could have 3 branches? EOL, Stable, Beta. As of now, we have 2 beta versions, 5.8.16 Stable Candidate & 5.9.4 Unstable. And 5.7.23 for Stable Release. And with 5.9.x out now, we're looking at 5.8.x going to Stable Release & 5.9.x being the betas. 

Maybe in the meantime, we could have 5.7.23 go to betas? Would that be possible? I understand you use this docker for your personal use, but there is a lot of people that use your dockers over other because of the betas and would be very appreciative, including my self.  

Edited by CiSCOTM

I was having an issue with this unifi-video docker keeping my drives spun up by doing a read every 10 seconds or so. It was super annoying because it wasn't something that happened until I upgraded Unraid itself.

I thought perhaps it had something to do with everything that it had access too with the privileged switch on so decided to do some research into it.

Flicking it off killed it and would not allow it to start.  By putting --cap-add=DAC_READ_SEARCH  --cap-add=NET_BIND_SERVICE --cap-add=SETGID --cap-add=SETUID --cap-add=SYS_ADMIN --cap-add=SYS_PTRACE in the extra parameters box I no longer have to run as privileged and now my drives stay spun down as they should.

I am not a docker guy or any kind of programmer so if I just opened up another security hole I would appreciate some feedback on this.

Thanks

Edited by arx237
  • 4 weeks later...

New UniFi Video docker - set to Bridge mode - which I would realllllly like to keep it at, but unfortuantely it's having issues now with adopting a new G3 Micro - this is my first UniFi video cam and it wont adopt into the NVR unless I have the container on its own IP w/ br0 mode set. 

This means it cannot talk to my other containers in bridge mode now though because of this, which means I can't use the cameras in the way I was hoping. 

Any way to get it working again in bridge mode as it was templated? 

Thanks!

I never did figure out what/how the discovery works, I think it must be some sort of multicast thing? You can flop it into host/bridge network mode for the adoption, then afterward flop it out. You can also load up the camera's UI and set the adoption IP / hostname. If you go that route, you'll also need to change that one setting in the controller. It gets populated w/ the 172 address that internal docker uses, but should of course be the hosts real ip.

On 5/13/2018 at 6:17 AM, arx237 said:

I thought perhaps it had something to do with everything that it had access too with the privileged switch on so decided to do some research into it.

Flicking it off killed it and would not allow it to start.  By putting --cap-add=DAC_READ_SEARCH  --cap-add=NET_BIND_SERVICE --cap-add=SETGID --cap-add=SETUID --cap-add=SYS_ADMIN --cap-add=SYS_PTRACE in the extra parameters box I no longer have to run as privileged and now my drives stay spun down as they should.

https://hub.docker.com/r/pducharme/unifi-video-controller/

^ The docker hub entry show DAC_READ_SEARCH and SYS_ADMIN. I *think* SYS_PTRACE is for using strace inside, you can probably drop that. I'm not sure what the SETGID and SETUID do, but if you google them you can probably find out. I bet you can remove them. Same for NET_BIND_SERVICE. Do them one at a time over a few hours or days to be sure, you can probably get rid of all of them except those mentioned as needed. That is all I run w/, though I don't have disks spinning down.

10 minutes ago, fryfrog said:

I never did figure out what/how the discovery works, I think it must be some sort of multicast thing? You can flop it into host/bridge network mode for the adoption, then afterward flop it out. You can also load up the camera's UI and set the adoption IP / hostname. If you go that route, you'll also need to change that one setting in the controller. It gets populated w/ the 172 address that internal docker uses, but should of course be the hosts real ip.

Ok so I put it in br0 mode, did the adoption and flipped it back to bridge mode, then logged into camera interface and change the IP to my unRAIAD IP address - it's showing up now normally in the unifi video container -- seems ok, but I still see the 172.X address you mention in my container settings but I see no way of changing that - how do I go about changing it?

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, fryfrog said:

Looks like a few places have uneditable IPs, now that I go look. But the setting I was thinking of is the per-camera setting for the host controller, as seen at 1XpICgf.png

Ah ok, yep, I've got 10.0.0.10 in mine - my unRAID IP and it's all connected in the controller and accessible via UniFi video cloud account :)

I think I'm good now - time to start tinkering with these more and order a couple more now -- Thanks for the SUPER fast reply on all this, saved me from a night of frustration! 

image.png.306101f854f9720b0b9a747ff15889a3.png

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I have been using your Unifi-Video docker without issue for a while (THANKS, its been awesome), but in the last few months I have run into an issue where my cameras will disconnect and reconnect quickly when I am doing any sort of file copy/deletion.   For example when I am upgrading dockers, I can almost guarantee the cameras will disconnect/reconnect.  Earlier today I was updating some movies on my server with better quality versions and during the delete of the old files, the cameras quickly disconnected/reconnected.   

I am curious if this is because the disk I setup for the recordings is apart of the array and should not be or if some how the app is fighting with other dockers for resources and I'm just not seeing it?

Thanks

On 6/30/2018 at 12:09 AM, thedeadliving5 said:

I am curious if this is because the disk I setup for the recordings is apart of the array and should not be or if some how the app is fighting with other dockers for resources and I'm just not seeing it?

not using this docker, but seeing the same behavior with unRAID, whenever (especially) write access into the array is starting AND the destination drives are spun down (so they need to get online/spun up) and this delays other parts on unRAID – especially all tasks, which are time sensitiv (i.e. had time outs in other dockers because of this).

i would guess this is related to the virtual file system, which unRAID uses, to manage the whole array (all drives) as one big file system. probably a kind of locking mechanism. often it helps, to manually spin up the destination drive(s) [incl. parity], before any write operations start.

Edited by s.Oliver
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys

First of all...thank you very much for your awesome work of art with these docker images!

I can't wrap my head around this problem...

I'm trying to install the Unifi Video Controller on a QNAP NAS. Even though the docker has the required permissions, Java claims "permission denied" on mounting the volume.

The Unifi Controller works without any problem.

Getting the following debug message in the console:

2018-08-18 16:48:16.118487 [info] PUID defined as '0'                                                                                                        
2018-08-18 16:48:16.516328 [info] PGID defined as '0'                                                                                                        
2018-08-18 16:48:16.545135 [info] Setting permissions recursively on volume mappings...                                                                      
[debug] Running unifi-video service with --debug.                                                                                                            
Starting unifi-video... Java Runtime: /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre                                                                                  
JSVC: /usr/bin/jsvc                                                                                                                                          

JVM options:  -Dav.tempdir=/var/cache/unifi-video -Djava.security.egd=file:/dev/./urandom   -Xmx4170M  -Djava.library.path=/usr/lib/unifi-video/lib  -Djava.a
wt.headless=true  -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=/usr/lib/unifi-video/data/ufv-truststore  -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8             -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote      
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false                 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false               -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=
7654 -Djava.rmi.server.hostname=192.168.1.120                                                                                                                

JSVC options:  -cwd /usr/lib/unifi-video -debug  -user unifi-video  -home /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre  -cp /usr/share/java/commons-daemon.jar:/usr/
lib/unifi-video/lib/airvision.jar  -pidfile /var/run/unifi-video/unifi-video.pid  -procname unifi-video   -Dav.tempdir=/var/cache/unifi-video  -Djava.securit
y.egd=file:/dev/./urandom   -Xmx4170M  -Djava.library.path=/usr/lib/unifi-video/lib  -Djava.awt.headless=true  -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=/usr/lib/unifi-vide
o/data/ufv-truststore  -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8             -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote                  -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false            
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false                -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=7654 -Djava.rmi.server.hostname=192.168.1.120           
mount: permission denied                                                                                                                                     
failed.      

Using the latest pducharme-push of Unifi-video-controller (3.9.7) in QNAP ContainerStation (Docker)

As I am a Docker newbie, I am not able to debug this. Could not find any similar error on the net.

Anyone seen this before?

Thanks for any help.

Hello @Pducharme I was wondering if the Unifi Video Beta repository will update anytime soon? im using the beta tag and still see only 3.9.7 and 3.9.8 beta 3 is already out for a while now.

Also wondering with the Unifi team working to replace Video with a new app called Protect if you are planning on working on a docker for that? the beta is available as well

Edited by Can0nfan
5 minutes ago, fryfrog said:

@Can0nfan, I'll make sure the beta gets updated today. Didn't realize one had come out.

For Protect, they're doing their own Docker, so I imagine we won't need to.

thanks...I hadn't heard about a Unifi Protect docker file yet anywhere on the ubnt forums...maybe i missed it. thanks for getting back to me. looking forward to some updates...the 3.9.7 has been giving me some grief

Edited by Can0nfan
On 8/18/2018 at 2:35 PM, blista99 said:

Using the latest pducharme-push of Unifi-video-controller (3.9.7) in QNAP ContainerStation (Docker)

Unfortunately this is the unRAID forums and the docker template was created for use on unRAID boxes. 

Not sure if you'll find much help here for your QNAP unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, fryfrog said:

@Can0nfan: The :beta tag is building now w/ new baseimage and 3.9.8 beta 3, let me know how it goes.

@CorneliousJD: I use it on Arch Linux, it should work fairly well just about anywhere. About the only thing unRAID specific is the example UID/GID.

Awesome me thanks I’ll check it out as soon as I can

@blista99:

2018-08-18 16:48:16.118487 [info] PUID defined as '0'                                                                                                        
2018-08-18 16:48:16.516328 [info] PGID defined as '0' 

^ This tells me you might be trying to pass in the wrong UID and GID. Those are root's UID/GID, which you shouldn't use. Create a user and group, probably unifi-video:unifi-video and use that. Make sure it owns the config and video directory you want to use.

mount: permission denied 

Probably related to trying to run it as root / uid/gid 0. But could be other things. Can you post your Docker run command? You should replicate that which is in the github README.md using what ever system QNAP lets you.

https://github.com/pducharme/UniFi-Video-Controller/

• 2 weeks later...