What is new to unRaid

znelbok

I have not been here for about two years as my system has been running fine and not needed any tweaking.

I came back to day to look at the option of adding plex and Logitech media centre and found so many topics that I had no idea about.

What is docker?  What version does it apply to?

Is there anything new to visualization?  My system is an ESXi guest which needs to be upgraded by the looks of it.

There is so much that I can't possible read it all to work it all out.

Thanks

Mick

Thankyou.

Yes, mis-styped virtualization.  What do you mean by "Or with 6.x beta you can change the hypervisor"?  Do you mean change to a different hypervisor such as Zen or other.  I though 5.x would run on other hypervisors as well?

I think this is a reference that v6 has hypervisor options built-in (KVM or XEN) so that you can run unRAID on bare metal and still have virtualisation capabilities.

I've also read that there are several filesystems to choose from now? besides reiserfs? Is that true? If so, what to do?

This is true, the lastest v6 betas have support to BTRFS/ReiserFS/XFS . From these three, I recommend using XFS, as it's better than ReiserFS in dealing with larger files and more stable than BTRFS, that is under heavy development right now.

Thankyou.

Yes, mis-styped virtualization.  What do you mean by "Or with 6.x beta you can change the hypervisor"?  Do you mean change to a different hypervisor such as Zen or other.  I though 5.x would run on other hypervisors as well?

You can boot unRAID and use it as a KVM/Xen hypervisor, so you don't need to run unRAID as guest and don't have to use VTd/IOMMU to virtualize storage controllers and disks.

I've also read that there are several filesystems to choose from now? besides reiserfs? Is that true? If so, what to do?

This is true, the lastest v6 betas have support to BTRFS/ReiserFS/XFS . From these three, I recommend using XFS, as it's better than ReiserFS in dealing with larger files and more stable than BTRFS, that is under heavy development right now.

Can i convert existing reiserfs disks to XFS or do i have to start all over again with empty disks?

And is it possible to mix filesystems? Or do i have to convert the whole array at once? Or disk by disk?

Can i convert existing reiserfs disks to XFS or do i have to start all over again with empty disks?

And is it possible to mix filesystems? Or do i have to convert the whole array at once? Or disk by disk?

You can mix the filesystems. I converted all my disks, disk by disk. It's not difficult, but takes time. You have to move all files out of the ReiserFS disk, umount it, format it and then mount it again.