Disks aren't spinning down while idle

KeithLM

I've gone into every place in the gui I've found and set the spin down time to 1 hour.  However multiple drives are not spinning down even though there is currently nothing connected to the system.  I have no shares mounted on any other computer, and I have no plugins or docker apps running.  It's been in this state for 12 hours yet disk 1 and the parity disk are still spinning.  All four drives are the same model, so there's no reason they shouldn't respond the same.  According to the log mover ran 9 hours ago, but nothing was there so it ended right away, and 30 minutes ago the IP was renewed.  Also, around midnight all drives were sent the spin down command. 

I've seen this behavior since I installed this server several days ago.  If I manually spin them down they will stay down until accessed. 

• 2 weeks later...

This problem is really annoying.  I powered the system up a few days ago, but haven't so much as browsed a drive on it, and yet 2 of the drives never spun down.  Why would some drives spin down, but some don't, when they are all the same model and on the same controller? 

Can you manually spin them down? this is a major issue power wise and wear on the drives :( Might do a forum check on this and find out how many other users are getting the same problem. I'am about to go beta 12 and might hang off or just go esxi and keep version 5 after hearing about this. Is this happening on the drives or controller? What controller are you running your drives off btw which arn't spinning down?