ASRock Motherboard with 12 SATA ports

Hi danioj,

the USB port works well with the other USB stick that I ended up using, so I don't think that is the problem.

Thanks,

Thomas

Edit: Strange, this is a reply to a post from danioj which showed up on Tapatalk - but later, not in the "full" webbrowser view...  :o

I have Asrock c2550d4i working perfect(Except for fan speed control, I cant modify speed :()

If someone need help or want to ask me, I'm here!

How are the fan settings on the bios on this board? Can you set the fans to spin really slow when internal temp is low, and make them spin faster as the temps rises? I know this is not the same as controlling the fans based on actual hdd temps, but could be close enough.

Someone was talking about external fan controller, could that be used to manage the fans with software, as in stop the fans when hdd's are not spinning. My ideal setup would be that when only one or more of the lower four hdd's are spinning, only the lower front fan would spin up. And the same thing on the upper four hdd's. And it would be really great to get the fans spin according to actual hdd temps.

I have Asrock c2550d4i working perfect(Except for fan speed control, I cant modify speed :()

If someone need help or want to ask me, I'm here!

How are the fan settings on the bios on this board? Can you set the fans to spin really slow when internal temp is low, and make them spin faster as the temps rises? I know this is not the same as controlling the fans based on actual hdd temps, but could be close enough.

Someone was talking about external fan controller, could that be used to manage the fans with software, as in stop the fans when hdd's are not spinning. My ideal setup would be that when only one or more of the lower four hdd's are spinning, only the lower front fan would spin up. And the same thing on the upper four hdd's. And it would be really great to get the fans spin according to actual hdd temps.

The problem is the fans are controlled by the bmc/ipmi and thus can't be controlled through lm-sensors.  Yes there is a smart fan feature in the bios.  You  can set if I remember correctly 10 different levels for each fan based on temp. Each level you can set a power level percentage. So you can set fan to spin at 30% @ 40C then 35% @ 45C and so on. I have mine skewed so they spin up faster at lower temps than the default settings.

The problem is the fans are controlled by the bmc/ipmi and thus can't be controlled through lm-sensors.  Yes there is a smart fan feature in the bios.  You  can set if I remember correctly 10 different levels for each fan based on temp. Each level you can set a power level percentage. So you can set fan to spin at 30% @ 40C then 35% @ 45C and so on. I have mine skewed so they spin up faster at lower temps than the default settings.

Thanks dmacias for the info! That sound pretty good, not perfect but good'ish enough i guess.

Anyone have any experience using external (USB) fan controllers with Unraid? For example Aquacomputer Aquaero 5 LT USB could be pretty nice (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13696/bus-271/Aquacomputer_Aquaero_5_LT_USB_Fan_Controller_Liquid_System_Controller_53095.html). Seems to have some kind of Linux support (https://github.com/lynix/aerotools-ng/tree/devel).

Something like this could be used to make your fan control real smart, ie. only spin those hdd caddies fans that are in use etc.