FS: (3) WD Green WD20EADS 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives

Not hurting me at all...I understand your opinion completely.  Drives are priced for someone who wants a cheapie 2TB (or three).  Oddly enough, these were my first 3 drives of my unRAID server...I've had newer Hitachi's and other WD drives fail...never had an issue with these 3 drives.  These may last a week or another 3 years - who knows.  Again, priced accordingly...if someone would like to make an offer - just let me know.  Thanks

Mike

Drives are, in many respects, like light bulbs -- they may last a LONG time, or they may "pop" this afternoon.

One suggestion when selling older drives like this:  Post the SMART reports.    This is a good way to evaluate the true state of the drives ... i.e. any reallocated sectors (or pending ones);  # of actual power-on hours;  # of load cycles; etc.

Unfortunately, no SMART reports available (and no current way to get them)....How about $75 shipped for all 3?

I have a bunch of 1T EACS and EADS drives that are still running making these look like pups. But I did have 1 of 2 of these 2T versions die on me.

Without a SMART report a person is taking quite a leap of faith to buy these. It is not very hard to get a SMART report, I'd recommend that you post them. If you do I do not think you will have a problem selling them. But if you don't, I think people will be skeptical. It is one thing to take a chance on a future failure, and quite another to pay for an already failing disk.

Agree r.e. posting the SMART reports (as I said earlier).    If you have ANY system you can connect them to (via a USB bridge for example if you don't have a free SATA port), you can get a SMART report using any of a variety of free tools.  [The specific tools depend on whether you're using a Windows based system; an Apple; or a Linux box]

FWIW, this model sells for about $15-25 on ebay if there are SMART errors being reported (probably being bought for the printed circuit board);  and about $35-45 with "clean" SMART reports.    3 for $75 is a VERY good buy if they're all working well and have clean SMART reports ... and I'm sure somebody will pick them up for that price very quickly if you post the reports.

... or you could list them on e-bay and probably get a bit more  :)

Thanks Gary...unfortuantely, I have no way of getting the SMART reports....only computers I have running right now are a 2012 mac mini and a 2009 Sony VAIO All-In-One...I tried connecting the drives via a USB 3.0 Dock....but I cannot find anything that will give me the SMART reports (I guess because the USB docks are not supported?) I am only able to get them to say "PASSED" on the Disk Utility for mac os x (when connected to the USB dock)...unless anyone happens to know a way I can get the reports (short of building a brand new system...which I am not going to do BTW) there will be no SMART reports.....many thanks!  I'll throw em' on ebay sometime this week.....

Yes, some disk utilities can't retrieve SMART data via USB.  In my experience WD's Data Lifeguard [Download it here:  http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=619&sid=3〈=en ] will at least show the current SMART values for the drive even via a USB bridge, although it doesn't show the raw data.  But it's enough to at least show whether or not there are any values to be concerned about.    Should work fine on your AIO.

At least offer a return policy if the smart data cannot be exposed or verified.

The drive is worthless to an unRAID'er if there are lots of pending/reallocated sectors.

Since this is an unRAID forum and targetted to unRAID users, we need to uphold to a higher standard then dumping them with an AS IS policy.

I probably wouldn't bother getting involved except that when deals go wrong the buyers try to involve the moderators for help.

With the 2TB EADS, I've not had much luck.

Some models of these drives used the 512 byte sectors, which had more issues with the error correction during error recovery.

I think the advanced format drives (Still EADS) have more data available for error correction.

I've had very good service from the EADS units -- there are 12 of them on my oldest server, all still running very well after 4+ years.    I've only replaced one drive in that time.    I DID have several of these drives that failed the WD diagnostics I always run before placing them in service ... I had them replaced before putting them in use; but any drive that passes a detailed WD Lifeguard run has always been just fine.

An alternative to running SMART tests that I'd consider an excellent test of the drives (but lengthy) is to do the following with Data Lifeguard:  (a) Run the Quick Test;  (b) Run the Extended Test; © Run the Write Zeroes with the full disk selected (not the quick version);  (d) Repeat (a) and (b).    If a drive passes all of these tests, it's in very good shape.    But for a 2TB drive, this sequence will take a full day per drive, especially using a USB bridged connection.

Assuming they were all working well when you removed them, I'd simply state that and leave then at 3 for $75, with no guarantee and no returns.    That IS a good price ... even for 2 drives; and these sell for $15-20 "for parts" on e-bay, so it's not all that far above what non-working drives would bring.    If, however, you were having problems with the drives or know about bad SMART reports, then I agree you shouldn't sell them here, since the buyers on this forum would clearly want them for UnRAID data usage, and that wouldn't be advisable.

Whether you want to deal with the "e-bay hassle" is up to you ... I tend to agree with you -- I've got a box of old drives I just donate to folks who need them for older PC's instead of dealing with e-bay for the few $$ they might bring.

If you're not confident in them for an unRAID'r or to support the unRAID'r after sale, don't sell them on the unRAID forum.

Sell'em on eBay as is. 

While it may not reap lots of rewards, it will keep them out of the dumps/garbage and someone will probably get use out of them.

You could also donate them with the receiver paying all shipping/handling costs.

Or keep them as backup drives.

Or sell them conditionally, requiring the purchaser to send you the smart reports and $25 each for good smart reports, drives with bad reports would be free (or shipped back to you if you prefer - this would prevent someone doctoring the smart report to look bad).

Or sell them conditionally, requiring the purchaser to send you the smart reports and $25 each for good smart reports, drives with bad reports would be free (or shipped back to you if you prefer).

??  Note that even dead, non-functional drives sell for $15-20 on e-bay "for parts" -- which in this case would generally be for the circuit boards.

Or sell them conditionally, requiring the purchaser to send you the smart reports and $25 each for good smart reports, drives with bad reports would be free (or shipped back to you if you prefer).

??  Note that even dead, non-functional drives sell for $15-20 on e-bay "for parts" -- which in this case would generally be for the circuit boards.

And there are people that would buy them for that purpose. But unRaid users typically would not have any use for one. See small update to my prior post.

Speaking frankly, I don't want to moderate/mediate someone's dissatisfaction with a seller.

I've been involved in it a few times and it puts me in a precarious and uncomfortable situation.

If a seller cannot stand behind & support the merchandise to this community it should probably be sold somewhere else.

Again, these are NO LONGER FOR SALE...

Thanks for the lively discussion though :)

BTW, 100% feedback on ebay (username: mdbunting) for the last 16 years...definitely not trying to screw anyone over here on the unRAID forum.  I used to be (have no idea if it is still tracked or not) a MASTER TRADER on the HTF (Home Theater Forum) but have not really frequented them in several years.  I'm a US Military enlisted member (Air Force) with 19+ years served (stationed in Korea currently) and my unRAID server was built in 2011 using money received from a deployment to Afghanistan after returning home to Germany. 

I used the drives in my uNRAID server...and I completely parted out my unRAID server (trying to downsize things a bit and get ready for retirement from the military)...therefore I listed them on the uNRAID "Buy/Sell/Trade" section of the forum.  Should I have taken the time to save a SMART report for these drives?  Probably.  Would it have brought me $5-$10 more per drive if I did?  Probably.  None of the drives I have sold on here included SMART reports, and they still sold.  The price I posted for these 3 drives was fair and the sale conditions posted were just as fair (no returns).  Also, I trashed 3 drives from my sever because they were problematic (2 Hitachi's (2TB) and 1 Seagate (4TB)) and did not offer them up for sale here on the forum because I didn't want someone to get a bad drive.  I've also accepted lower prices on the items I have sold here when asked by unRAID forum members...I've even matched ebay prices...and shipped to Canada... all things I wasn't originaly going to do when I listed them for sale.

Anyway, sorry if I ruffled any feathers here...I honestly tried for the better part of one Saturday to get SMART reports using several programs/apps and my two available computers (Mac mini and Sony VAIO AIO) and was unable to do so. I'm going to take Gary's advice (when I get the time) to download WD's Data Lifeguard software to see if that will work...