Low consumption/noise/cost build

Hi all!

I would like to buil my first nas...

Main porpouse is films/photo storage (XBMC the main client via 1Gb lan) with torrent plugin.

Do you think this hardware is ok?

Q1900-ITX  (4 sata)

Seasonic G-360

Kingston 2GB Ram, 1333MHz

4gb usb 3.0 memory for Unraid

2x WD Red 4TB (WD40EFRX)

Self made case (something like this to fit a liveroom  :))

The idea is to not have a parity drive in the beginning, but to add it later... is this possible and not too difficult?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Since film/photos are often irreplaceable, I assume you intend to have backups / copies on multiple devices whether you have parity or not. I personally think parity is sort of the point though.

Not sure how quiet that wooden "case" is going to be for you. Might be possible to make it so with some work, but you are also going to need to consider cooling.

Hi thurl,

yes indeed... I have backup for photos in another PC. Films are ripped from blu-ray, so not a big issue (ripping time apart...).

Some time ago I would like to use 3 WD red 3T (2 data, 1 parity), but now their cost is raised a lot  :(

The idea for the case is to fine isolate the HDs to not propagate vibrations to it and to have big opens in the bottom with a big fan in the top-back.

Thanks!

I would not think 2 HDD's would make a lot of noise. But fans could. Fans are fine by them selves mostly if the rpm is decent. But all the fan grills etc., are going to make vibrations to airflow.

I usually move files to unRAID and leave the files also to the original source and after I've ran parity check I delete those. It takes some time to fill those two drives, do you think you can afford the parity drive after that's done?

I would suggest you to think how much your time is worth. BD takes something like an hour to rip? and you can fit 60-80 of those to a 3TB drive... plus there's no option to queue those.

I have 13 drives in a wooden case (Ref: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=34329.0)

I have one drive in the array that is noisy in the wooden case and sounds like someone is sawing away at it. (probably the old cache drive I am using)

My drive cage is metal strips attached to wood casing which is screwed to radio front plate. I need to try and isolate the drive cage with some material to absorb vibrations as it echos quite well.

For the most part the unit is ok, but during heavy disk activity, I know when things are moving. If a little noise doesn't bother you, then you should be ok. If you can, try to isolate the drives from the wood using some rubber spacers?

My 200mm fans are relatively quiet at 500rpm. (especially seeing they are out in front)

... I have 13 drives in a wooden case...

Yes, but WHAT a "case" !!  :)    Did you ever start building another one in the other radio your friend gave you??

Sorry to hear about the audible vibrations => seems that a bit of rubber matting may be in order for the drive cage to isolate it from the main chassis a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, time to buy! :-)

Last check...

Power supply:

SILVERSTONE SFX ST30SF 300W

or

Seasonic g 360 ATX

Will it work with only one module of ram?

Kingston Technology ValueRAM 2GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM SR x16 Desktop Memory KVR13N9S6/2

the asrock q1900-itx needs 1.35v sodims, that amazon link is for desktop ram.

And i recommend this power supply, or any that are haswell and silver+ certified:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151117

Hi all!

I would like to buil my first nas...

Main porpouse is films/photo storage (XBMC the main client via 1Gb lan) with torrent plugin.

Do you think this hardware is ok?

Q1900-ITX  (4 sata)

Seasonic G-360

Kingston 2GB Ram, 1333MHz

4gb usb 3.0 memory for Unraid

2x WD Red 4TB (WD40EFRX)

Self made case (something like this to fit a liveroom  :))

The idea is to not have a parity drive in the beginning, but to add it later... is this possible and not too difficult?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

For films/photo storage you can also use cloud storage. I get unlimited storage with MS One drive. And with my Amazon cloud drive I get unlimited storage for photos. So while I keep multiple copies of my photos at home on unRAIDs and NAS devices, I also keep copies on multiple cloud storaege sites since it is so inexpensive.

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

after some delay, I bought and put together all the components.

ASRock Mod CEL Q1900-ITX (82 Eur)

Kingston  SO-DIMM  DDR3 4GB CL11 (34 Eur)

Seasonic g360 (73 Eur)

Sandisk cruzer fit 8 GB (7 Eur)

ARCTIC F12 TC (3.5 Eur)

200 Eur total  :)

2 WD red 4TB, 1 parity and 1 data (320 Eur)

Waiting for it's case, here is the "naked" version:

unraid.jpg

I installed Unraid 6 with the trial version.

The first license step is the Basic for 6 drives, right?

Nothing in between for very small build?

Thanks!

For such a setup would not an HP microserver be a better option - even if you put that inside another wooden box/cabinet to conceal it? just thinking its cheaper, holds the number of drives you mention, runs everythingand  its all pre built ..... just thinking/typing out loud.