Re: Format XFS on replacement drive / Convert from RFS to XFS (discussion only)

Ok I think this is really my last question :)

I don't quite see (and can't easily find by searching due to massive amount of information on the broad subject)...  Exactly how to format the new 8TB (as XFS)...

My parity is good now, new drive is not yet added.  Array is stopped.  I can add the drive, and start the array - but I want to make sure it will be XFS, and can't exactly tell when I will have the chance to set that.  (And where)

I've poked around, but am really not certain where the formatting command comes in and how to configure as XFS.

1 hour ago, JackBauer said:

've poked around, but am really not certain where the formatting command comes in and how to configure as XFS.

If the disk is not already formatted with either XFS , reiserfs, or btrfs file systems, the default format is controlled by going to   Settings    >>>   DiskSettings    and making sure that Default partition format is set to XFS .  Any new disk added to the array will now be formatted with that File system.   The default at this time is XFS.  

You can change for an individual disk when the array is stopped by going to the   Main   tab clicking on a disk, and changing the Default file system from Auto to the file system that you want.  (Be care as this will erase any data on this disk!)

• 2 weeks later...

ooyy!!

I was  in the middle of the mirror method (https://lime-technology.com/wiki/File_System_Conversion#Mirroring_procedure_to_convert_drives) - but in the middle of step 8 we had a power outage (longer than my UPS can support). 

After the boot up - I let it run through the parity check (still going). 

Can I restart step 8 (rsync -avPX /mnt/disk10/ /mnt/disk11/) ? Or do I need to reformat the destination disk and start it over? 

8 hours ago, trurl said:

yes

Thanks - the parity sync is still going, found 792 corrections - probably the highest I've ever seen. Then again, haven't really lost power in the middle of a known write-heavy operation. Love how UnRaid keeps on truckin!

I've lived in this house over 5 years now... only lost power 3 times ... Sandy, another major unnamed storm, and of course yesterday. Had to be in the middle of this. Oh well. 

I'm just running rsync (point 8). After that I want to move the files out of the 't' directory. I don't do much from the command line but that should also do the trick?

mv /mnt/disk17/t/* /mnt/disk17/

That should move all the user share folders under 't' like?:

\Backup

\Music

\Video

Edited by shire
8 minutes ago, shire said:

I'm just running rsync (point 8). After that I want to move the files out of the 't' directory. I don't do much from the command line but that should also do the trick?

mv /mnt/disk16/t/* /mnt/disk17/

That should move all the user share folders under 't' like?:

\Backup

\Music

\Video

I don't quite see what you are doing but I can tell the   mv  requires a complete Linux path down to the files that it is going to move.  Here is a link to the manual for that command:

http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/mv.1.html

Your command as present proposed will only move files from a top level directory on disk16 named 't' (which would by definition in unRAID also be a user share).    By a complete path I mean some like this:

/mnt/disk16/Music/t/*

It has been years since I have used  mv   but from reading the description, it will probably only move files and not directories, so it will probably move only the files in the  directory but not any sub-directories or their contents.  IF you are not familiar with the Linux command line, you should either get a good reference book or avoid using it except when you can cut and paste command examples from experts (with some very minor editing by you).  Linux generally assumes that you know what you are doing and does it with any questioning/warning.  

27 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

I don't quite see what you are doing but I can tell the   mv  requires a complete Linux path down to the files that it is going to move.  Here is a link to the manual for that command:

http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/mv.1.html

Your command as present proposed will only move files from a top level directory on disk16 named 't' (which would by definition in unRAID also be a user share).    By a complete path I mean some like this:

/mnt/disk16/Music/t/*

It has been years since I have used  mv   but from reading the description, it will probably only move files and not directories, so it will probably move only the files in the  directory but not any sub-directories or their contents.  IF you are not familiar with the Linux command line, you should either get a good reference book or avoid using it except when you can cut and paste command examples from experts (with some very minor editing by you).  Linux generally assumes that you know what you are doing and does it with any questioning/warning.  

It refers to this post:

Point 10:

10 - Now is the good time to move the files in the "t" directory to the root on [dest]. I do this with cut and paste from Windows explorer.

Also I changed the disk#. That was a mistake by me in the first post. 

I use user shares. I can't access the discs directly from my windows 10 machine. So I would like to use 'mv' to move the files.

Edited by shire
11 hours ago, shire said:

I use user shares. I can't access the discs directly from my windows 10 machine. So I would like to use 'mv' to move the files.

Perhaps it would be easier for you to use mc instead of mv. That way you have a graphical layout of source and destination. Navigate to /mnt/disk17/t in the left pane, and /mnt/disk17 in the right pane, highlight all the folders on the left pane using insert, and then press the appropriate F key to move/rename them to the right pane.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Perhaps it would be easier for you to use mc instead of mv. That way you have a graphical layout of source and destination. Navigate to /mnt/disk17/t in the left pane, and /mnt/disk17 in the right pane, highlight all the folders on the left pane using insert, and then press the appropriate F key to move/rename them to the right pane.

Thanks. That worked.:)

• 5 months later...

I've just started the 'mirror' procedure on my first disk to convert from btrfs to XFS. I don't know any better than bjp999 / SSD, but i included the '--info=progress2' in my rsync command to give the overall rsync time remaining as opposed to the time remaining on the current file being rsync'd...i think. Seems helpful.

I noticed that one of my shares has settings to include disk 5, and exclude disk 'none'. My current rsync is not for disk 5 (haven't got that far yet). My question is, will this cause me an issue at all, either over the current (disk 1 to disk 6 transfer), or the impending transfer of the contents of disk 5? It is a redundant share that i should have removed by now. 

Cheers.

4 minutes ago, sketchy said:

I've just started the 'mirror' procedure on my first disk to convert from btrfs to XFS. I don't know any better than bjp999 / SSD, but i included the '--info=progress2' in my rsync command to give the overall rsync time remaining as opposed to the time remaining on the current file being rsync'd...i think. Seems helpful.

I noticed that one of my shares has settings to include disk 5, and exclude disk 'none'. My current rsync is not for disk 5 (haven't got that far yet). My question is, will this cause me an issue at all, either over the current (disk 1 to disk 6 transfer), or the impending transfer of the contents of disk 5? It is a redundant share that i should have removed by now. 

Cheers.

When you are doing disk-to-disk copies/moves then the Share settings are ignored.  

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, chrisb42 said:

I want to convert another drive in my server to XFS, but the WD 3TB drive I added and formatted with XFS, immediately shows 3GB used, with no files on there yet. Has anyone seen that and knows where those 3GB come from? I'm stumped…

Cheers!

-Christian

That's the filesystem.  An "empty" data disk is not really empty, it has to have a filesystem which is what gets written when you format a disk.

I just added an 8TB drive to my array and, although I have never written a single file to it yet, 8.8GB has been utilized.

What you are seeing is completely normal.

Edited by Hoopster
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys, I transferred all my files off a 4TB drive, onto an existing 8TB array disk using UnBalance.  I still see shares on the 4TB disk using the unraid file explorer on the Main page GUI but there are no files on the disk.  I'm really confused as to what to do at this point.  I have dual parity.  Do I un-assign the disk and let parity rebuild with the missing disk?  Then format the 4TB disk?  I would like to pre-clear stress test the disk before adding it back to the array.  I'm sorry but I'm confused.  Thanks for your help!

I have been reading through this thread and the File System Conversion guide on the wiki, I just want to clarify if this is worth all the effort as I would use Option 1, Mirror each disk with rsync, preserving parity. I have a new 8TB Parity HDD and 4x 2TB existing Data drives, I have one new 2TB Data drive formatted to XFS this morning but currently with no data on it. As I understand it this is a perfect opportunity to work on this process, I just need to understand if it is worth the time, my server only contains media files, no personal photos or anything that would be a major issue if lost.

If it were I, I would do it!  Reiserfs is a dead file system (Its developer is in a US prison serving  a life sentence for murdering his wife) and there has been little work done on it in close to ten years.  It seems to have problems with larger capacity disks and it appears that you are moving in that direction with an 8TB parity drive.  Do it now, as the time involved will be much shorter than waiting until you have some 8TB data drives!  

Edited by Frank1940
2 hours ago, allischalmersman said:

I still see shares on the 4TB disk using the unraid file explorer on the Main page GUI but there are no files on the disk.

Could you give us a screenshot of this?

2 hours ago, allischalmersman said:

I'm really confused as to what to do at this point. 

Sounds like it. Don't do anything without further advice.

I booted into Safe Mode with all Plugins disabled, I cannot use Screen anymore, I assume because the plugins are disabled. I am using Putty to enter the commands, I am hopeful that it completes and there are no issues with the session. I assume that if there are I would have to start all over again?

5 minutes ago, wedge22 said:

I booted into Safe Mode with all Plugins disabled, I cannot use Screen anymore, I assume because the plugins are disabled. I am using Putty to enter the commands, I am hopeful that it completes and there are no issues with the session. I assume that if there are I would have to start all over again?

When I did the conversion, I used a console monitor and keyboard.  (You can turn the monitor off and it does not effect the session.)  I don't why you are using the Safe Mode.  But I can tell you that if you have any type of interruption of the connection to PuTTY, it will terminate the session!  That is why folks use screen or the console mode.