unRAID 6 NerdPack - CLI tools (iftop, iotop, screen, kbd, etc.)

jonp

On 8/22/2022 at 9:35 PM, GTvert90 said:

I didn't see Iperf3 on the list of slackware packages. also all the guides I found for installing on unraid were with nerdpacks.  Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this installed? Thanks! 

You can grab it from the 3rd party Slackers repository: https://slackware.pkgs.org/current/slackers/iperf3-3.11-x86_64-1cf.txz.html

Direct Download: https://slack.conraid.net/repository/slackware64-current/iperf3/iperf3-3.11-x86_64-1cf.txz

On 8/18/2022 at 6:07 PM, Hoopster said:

I have a backup script that is dependent on ipmitool from the nerd pack.  Is there likely to be a solution for that or do I need to install it manually?

On 8/19/2022 at 2:47 PM, dlandon said:

You'll need to install it mnually.

On 8/19/2022 at 2:49 PM, Hoopster said:

Thanks. That's what I assumed and have already done this in anticipation of 6.11.0 release.

For anyone looking for the file, here it is, I think it's just named differently from https://github.com/ipmitool/ipmitool, this is the one from NerdPack which is the same version number.

ipmitool-1.8.18-x86_64-1.txz

• Like 3
On 8/25/2022 at 2:05 AM, JorgeB said:

It is starting with v6.11.0-rc4

How do we go about requesting package inclusions? Could we get screen included? It has no extra dependencies and its really useful for big data transfers in the console.

EDIT: It has been pointed out to me that tmux will do everything screen does and is already included if you run unassigned devices Plus. I'd still argue screen should be included in the base OS for those who may not use unassigned devices though.

Edited by weirdcrap
On 8/26/2022 at 7:05 PM, weirdcrap said:

How do we go about requesting package inclusions? Could we get screen included? It has no extra dependencies and its really useful for big data transfers in the console.

EDIT: It has been pointed out to me that tmux will do everything screen does and is already included if you run unassigned devices Plus. I'd still argue screen should be included in the base OS for those who may not use unassigned devices though.

I was a big screen user and decided to just spend some time getting used to tmux and familiarizing myself with the keystrokes... it was totally worth it.  As soon as you change that miserable Ctrl-B abomination into a more reachable Ctrl-A the rest was easy.  Well, except for scrollback, but that's not super hard.

Totally agree that tmux should be part of the base distro though.

4 hours ago, foux said:

Hi there! With the deprecation of nerdpack, anybody has tips on installing python on Unraid? Thanks!

Dont.

Unless it is explicitly required as the dependency of something else i would recommend not installing python on unRAID. Instead you should run your python scripts inside of a docker image. Once you understand the basics of Docker its much easier than it seems at first. It adds a bit of overhead but makes it much easier to manager python environments. See my comment in the linked thread for specifics. 

Edited by primeval_god
  • Upvote 2
4 hours ago, primeval_god said:

Dont.

Unless it is explicitly required as the dependency of something else i would recommend not installing python on unRAID. Instead you should run your python scripts inside of a docker image. Once you understand the basics of Docker its much easier than it seems at first. It adds a bit of overhead but makes it much easier to manager python environments. See my comment in the linked thread for specifics. 

I have Python installed to run Flask-Shell2HTTP since you can't execute Docker commands from within containers. I don't really see a way around that.

57 minutes ago, KnifeFed said:

I have Python installed to run Flask-Shell2HTTP since you can't execute Docker commands from within containers. I don't really see a way around that.

It would likely depend on exactly what shell commands you are exposing via that app, and what you are doing with them. But this sounds like a bit more complex set of automations than most.

So honestly, what seems to be wrong with the current package is minor but it looks like it isn't maintained anymore.  I would branch the code and make a tweak and republish but honestly haven't had the time to figure out how to publish something to unraid.  There is a thread about various workarounds with the existing plugin that various users have done.  My personal solution was to add a sed command to the go file.  Regardless, this might offer an alternative and hopefully someone who wants to take up maintaining a new version going forward.

https://github.com/dmacias72/unRAID-NerdPack/issues/69

1 hour ago, txwireless said:

So honestly, what seems to be wrong with the current package is minor but it looks like it isn't maintained anymore.

Correct, it is not being supported or maintained.  Understand that the 'fix' is not just to trick it to work with 6.11, all of the 6.10 packages need to be confirmed to be compatible with 6.11, or updated for 6.11.  That's why the author has the pagkages on the flash drive organized by Unraid version.  Part of the update to get it working on a new version of Unraid would be to confirm that all the packages put in the 6.11 folder would be compatible with 6.11.  Don't fork the Nerd Pack Plugin unless you intend to invest the time to do this.  If the plugin is distributed with a package that is not compatible with 6.11, you risk the potential of creating support issues for yourself and LT.

• Like 2

I am a total newb when it comes to unRAID OS configuration - if it isn't in the APPS tab for install, I'm lost.

But, if I understand previous msgs correctly:  When I open Nerd Tools plugin, the only 2 items I see set to ON are IPERF and PERL (and I don't recall what tools needed these two items!  Probably due to a Space Invader's video!!). 
Both of those will be included in the final unRAID 6.11, so I need to do NOTHING, correct?  Once 6.11 is released and I upgrade, Nerd Tools will auto-de-install and those two items will automatically be there via the unRAID OS - right?
Thanks,

Bob

21 hours ago, RobertP said:

I am a total newb when it comes to unRAID OS configuration - if it isn't in the APPS tab for install, I'm lost.

But, if I understand previous msgs correctly:  When I open Nerd Tools plugin, the only 2 items I see set to ON are IPERF and PERL (and I don't recall what tools needed these two items!  Probably due to a Space Invader's video!!). 
Both of those will be included in the final unRAID 6.11, so I need to do NOTHING, correct?  Once 6.11 is released and I upgrade, Nerd Tools will auto-de-install and those two items will automatically be there via the unRAID OS - right?
Thanks,

Bob

I don't know about iperf (where did you see that?) but Perl is included in 6.11, so yeah, you don't have to do anything to keep your Perl dependant functioning.

1 hour ago, KnifeFed said:

I don't know about iperf (where did you see that?) but Perl is included in 6.11, so yeah, you don't have to do anything to keep your Perl dependant functioning.

That is good news.  Thank you!

I saw the iperf referenced for rc4 in JorgeB Posted August 25 reply to 8/24/2022 at 5:54 PM, venicenerd

• Squid unpinned this topic