unRAID 6 NerdPack - CLI tools (iftop, iotop, screen, kbd, etc.)

jonp

I’d love to update from 6.10.3, however I also rely upon nerdpack to install the following:
screen-4.8.0-x86_64-4.txz
ncurses-terminfo-6.1.20191130-x86_64-1.txz
tmux-3.2-x86_64-1.txz
mcelog-161-x86_64-1.txz
perl-5.32.0-x86_64-1.txz
kbd-1.15.3-x86_64-2.txz

I’ve downloaded from https://slackware.pkgs.org/15.0/slackware-x86_64/ the following:
screen-4.9.0-x86_64-1.txz
ncurses-6.3-x86_64-1.txz
tmux-3.2a-x86_64-1.txz
mcelog-180-x86_64-1.txz
perl-5.34.0-x86_64-1.txz

And I've copied the top 4 txz files to flash's /boot/extra

I have not yet downloaded kbd-1.15.3-x86_64-2.txz, as the latest version is only available for slack 14.2.

Question 1a - Do I first Uninstall the 6 tools using NerdPack, and then
Question 1b - ...Uninstall NerdPack, and then
Question 1c - ...Reboot the server?

Question 2 - Are all txz files in /extra automatically installed at time of boot?

Question 3 - Do I need to determine the version of slackware Unraid is using & manually download the matching set from https://slackware.pkgs.org/**VersionNumber**/slackware-x86_64/ every time I update unraid going forward?

Question 4 - What happens if I boot into a newer version of Unraid with an older txz in /extra?

Question 5 - How do I confirm what tools are already included in Unraid's OS?  Looking at the forums I *think* perl is already included - hence the reason I've not yet copied it into /boot/extra.

Thanks folks!

Edited by landS
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, landS said:

I’d love to update from 6.10.3, however I also rely upon nerdpack to install the following:
screen-4.8.0-x86_64-4.txz
ncurses-terminfo-6.1.20191130-x86_64-1.txz

A little off topic but mind if I ask what you use nurses-terminfo for? I see I have it installed on my system but can't figure out why. 🙂

2 hours ago, Felix said:

Is there any reason why we can't use the existing packages from the NerdPack github repo to populate /boot/extra ?

https://github.com/dmacias72/unRAID-NerdPack/tree/master/packages/6.10

Is there something about 6.11 that will make these txz not work? Sorry if stupid question.

I’m sure you can try them. No one is maintaining them so they haven’t been updated in a while and no guarantees they are compatible.

I may be totally wrong but that’s my understanding of the situation. I can see on the repo that none of the packages have been updated in the past 12 months. Surely some of them have had updates during that time.

3 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

I’m sure you can try them. No one is maintaining them so they haven’t been updated in a while and no guarantees they are compatible.

I may be totally wrong but that’s my understanding of the situation. I can see on the repo that none of the packages have been updated in the past 12 months. Surely some of them have had updates during that time.

yeah, i try copy 6.10's packages.json to 6.11'dir, seems working now

Just updated from 6.9.2 to 6.11 and saw that the Nerdpack is depracted.

Also i have read that Limetech refuses to integrate a similiar solution. Dont know if i like the way unRaid is taking as the Windows of the Linux World.

Managing the packages yourself by putting it into the correct folder, crossing the fingers on every update that hopefully Slackware and unRaid are not too different from each other, feels like you are back in the days of unRaid 5.

The pre-Docker era, where extending unraid was an adventure.

So instead of having a solution you now have to beg to the devs that they integrate that or that package, and if they dont think it is worth it you have to to it youreself.

If you want to be on the safe side you also have to buy another unRaid License for a testing system, since there is no really free demo Version enymore or another solution for developers.

Really, really frustrating, but me complaining wont change anything, thats what i have learned heren in the last couple of years ;-)

Edited by darkside40
  • Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, darkside40 said:

Just updated from 6.9.2 to 6.11 and saw that the Nerdpack is depracted.

Also i have read that Limetech refuses to integrate a similiar solution. Dont know if i like the way unRaid is taking as the Windows of the Linux World.

Managing the packages yourself by putting it into the correct folder, crossing the fingers on every update that hopefully Slackware and unRaid are not too different from each other, feels like you are back in the days of unRaid 5.

The pre-Docker era, where extending unraid was an adventure.

So instead of having a solution you now have to beg to the devs that they integrate that or that package, and if they dont think it is worth it you have to to it youreself.

If you want to be on the safe side you also have to buy another unRaid License for a testing system, since there is no really free demo Version enymore or another solution for developers.

Really, really frustrating, but me complaining wont change anything, thats what i have learned heren in the last couple of years ;-)

I want to look at it from another perspective. NerdPack is a community plugin, the developer does not have time to maintain it, Limetech tried to integrate some important packages directly into unRAID so that common plugins won't break (for example Dynamic system temp)

Although unRAID is a paid solution there are many extensions for unRAID that relay on community developers which maintain them and you can't expect Limetech to integrate every one of them into the OS.

I am contributing to several open source projects and it is not different, sometime things stopped being maintained due to lack of time or too much effort so the developer (which is usually doing this in his free time) can't support it.

Limetech was not the one who deprecated the Nerdpack, it was deprecated due to not being compatible with 6.11 and the developer lack time to update it. It was known for a very long time and there is an active issue about it, anyone could fork the project and maintain it himself, but as you can see it is probably not that disturbing to most people.

I have tried to maintain another plugin which break due to changes in the UI, but I don't know if I will be able to keep up with future changes (I am sure going to try the best I can)

In my opinion the best option is to try to list the packages you need and I am sure if there is high demand for specific packages someone will offer a solution for them. I myself considered forking this plugin and maintaining it, but I am afraid the efforts to keep it updated are too much (I still however consider it).

Can you list the packages you need from NerdPack?

• Thanks 1
59 minutes ago, darkside40 said:

This is annoying indeed, I wish there was a way to apply a test license that is free and not time-limited but has some limitation that would prevent use for production e.g. stop the array 2 hours after it was started or whatever. As it is if you want to occasionally test stuff you need an endless supply of different USB keys to start a trial with...

Edited by Kilrah
40 minutes ago, thecode said:

I want to look at it from another perspective. NerdPack is a community plugin, the developer does not have time to maintain it, Limetech tried to integrate some important packages directly into unRAID so that common plugins won't break (for example Dynamic system temp)

Although unRAID is a paid solution there are many extensions for unRAID that relay on community developers which maintain them and you can't expect Limetech to integrate every one of them into the OS.

I am contributing to several open source projects and it is not different, sometime things stopped being maintained due to lack of time or too much effort so the developer (which is usually doing this in his free time) can't support it.

Limetech was not the one who deprecated the Nerdpack, it was deprecated due to not being compatible with 6.11 and the developer lack time to update it. It was known for a very long time and there is an active issue about it, anyone could fork the project and maintain it himself, but as you can see it is probably not that disturbing to most people.

I have tried to maintain another plugin which break due to changes in the UI, but I don't know if I will be able to keep up with future changes (I am sure going to try the best I can)

In my opinion the best option is to try to list the packages you need and I am sure if there is high demand for specific packages someone will offer a solution for them. I myself considered forking this plugin and maintaining it, but I am afraid the efforts to keep it updated are too much (I still however consider it).

Can you list the packages you need from NerdPack?

I know which packages i need and i know how to install it, thats not the point.

And yes many really good and useful Plugins rely on community developers. Myself i am maintaining my own fork of S3 Sleep, a function which should be in the core of unraid, because energy prises are rising and most of the unRaid Servers dont need to be 24/7, which means it would be better for the environment if they go to sleep.

Guess what, the Core unRaid developers give a shit about it.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/118129-why-does-unraid-not-have-powersaving-eg-s3-functions-build-in-by-default/

Also a major issue: because there is no proper documentation about the Plugin System for years, only a few know how it exactly work. If they burn out you have the same situation like we have now with the nerdpack.

5 minutes ago, darkside40 said:

Maybe there is no  symlink from python3 to /usr/bin/python

root@thebox:/mnt/user/system/docker# ln /usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/python
root@thebox:/mnt/user/system/docker# python --version
Python 3.9.6
root@thebox:/mnt/user/system/docker# iotop
No module named 'iotop'
To run an uninstalled copy of iotop,
launch iotop.py in the top directory
root@thebox:/mnt/user/system/docker#

Tried reinstalling iotop, didnt work :(

• Squid unpinned this topic