unRAID 6 NerdPack - CLI tools (iftop, iotop, screen, kbd, etc.)

jonp

The produced log appears in the format noted below (using my own mcelog as reference.)

~# mcelog
Hardware event. This is not a software error.
MCE 0
CPU 0 BANK 17
MISC 8cf00031e0000086 ADDR 5f000000
TIME 1466125355 Fri Jun 17 10:02:35 2016
MCG status:
MCi status:
Error overflow
Uncorrected error
MCi_MISC register valid
MCi_ADDR register valid
Processor context corrupt
MCA: Generic CACHE Level-2 Eviction Error
STATUS ee2000000004017a MCGSTATUS 0
MCGCAP 7000c16 APICID 0 SOCKETID 0
CPUID Vendor Intel Family 6 Model 63
MCE 1
CPU 0 BANK 18
MISC 1cf00031e0000086 ADDR 5f100040
MCG status:
MCi status:
Error overflow
Uncorrected error
MCi_MISC register valid
MCi_ADDR register valid
MCE 2
CPU 0 BANK 19
MISC 54f00031e0000086 ADDR 5f100000
MCG status:
MCi status:
Error overflow
Uncorrected error
MCi_MISC register valid
MCi_ADDR register valid

Thank you so much for adding this in dmacias, it's exactly what I was hopeing for, and I'm sure that there are other users who are having MCEs that will find this useful as well.

Thank you for providing this!  I'd be very interested in hearing your conclusions from the above, as well as from anyone else with mcelog experience.

I can't claim any experience, but did do some research - to me it looks like a defective CPU, bad level-2 caching.  I did note though that a few persons with the same errors were able to get the CPU to work once they disabled CPU power state control, such as turning off SpeedStep or the like.  I'd like to hear how that jibes with your experience.

Some were able to get their CPU to function by trial and error disabling of various CPU features, not really fixing the CPU, but avoiding the defective parts.  Some were able to function by using different versions of different OS's, often older ones, possibly because the older OS didn't use a particular CPU feature.

No problem. I hope you get it figured out.

Thank you for providing this!  I'd be very interested in hearing your conclusions from the above, as well as from anyone else with mcelog experience.

I can't claim any experience, but did do some research - to me it looks like a defective CPU, bad level-2 caching.  I did note though that a few persons with the same errors were able to get the CPU to work once they disabled CPU power state control, such as turning off SpeedStep or the like.  I'd like to hear how that jibes with your experience.

Some were able to get their CPU to function by trial and error disabling of various CPU features, not really fixing the CPU, but avoiding the defective parts.  Some were able to function by using different versions of different OS's, often older ones, possibly because the older OS didn't use a particular CPU feature.

Well, I'm very happy to say that I was able to get this sorted out after I ran this past the people over on the ASRock forum.

RobJ, I was initially of the same thinking (forgive my cut and paste from my ASRock post) but """After pulling the entire machine apart and trying all parts (including the CPU) in another (personal) machine I was unable to reproduce the errors outside of this motherboard. After rebuilding the server using this motherboard I am still receiving the MCEs during boot, though now the VMs do not seem to crash....... I have tried changing setting in BIOS to try and isolate and disable the issue to no avail. The mcelog (logged below) denotes the error as being related to the cpu cache, but I'm of the thinking that it has more to do with how the MB communicates with those banks, than some issue with the cpu itself.""" After posting that a user named Xaltar simply asked what BIOS version I was using, which lead me to reflash to the newest version, and bam, no more MCE's.

Had it not been for dmacias putting mcelog into the NERDpack and RobJ's help, I wouldn't have even had a starting point of what to search for as MCEs cover so many things. Being able to pin it down via hardware troubleshooting and having the mcelog ultimately led me to the ASRock website (probably after reading some of the same search results, lol). I would have never imagined it to be an outdated BIOS issue as she was running fine for like 2 months.

So thank you very much again dmacias, RobJ, and Xaltar (from other forum). Lifesavers  :D

Sorry to be a pain but I have a quick question for someone.

I have unrar downloaded and installed (Thanks for the NerdPack GUI btw). I have a docker that needs access to the unrar binary.

Am I to assume it will be located in /usr/sbin/unrar ?

Dockers use their own self contained OS's, they don't interact with the host OS like you are implying. see here. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=40937.msg387520#msg387520

If your docker needs access to a particular program, it needs to be installed inside the docker container, typically by docker exec into the container and installing from there. Installing the binary in unraid isn't going to help.

I have unrar downloaded and installed (Thanks for the NerdPack GUI btw). I have a docker that needs access to the unrar binary.

Dockers use their own self contained OS's, they don't interact with the host OS like you are implying. see here. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=40937.msg387520#msg387520

If your docker needs access to a particular program, it needs to be installed inside the docker container, typically by docker exec into the container and installing from there. Installing the binary in unraid isn't going to help.

And if you install it yourself inside the docker, you will have to do it again each time you update the docker. Maybe you could get the author of the docker to include it for you.

And if you install it yourself inside the docker, you will have to do it again each time you update the docker. Maybe you could get the author of the docker to include it for you.

Although you probably could pass through the location as a new volume mapping, and then point CP to that location.

Although you probably could pass through the location as a new volume mapping, and then point CP to that location.

Thats what I was thinking. However that will only help if I know where the binary's download and install from the NerdPack.  ;)

How about mediainfo, and ffmpeg? Are they doable?

See here for ffmpeg.  Too many packages. Probably the same for mediainfo but I'll check it out. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=37541.msg474260.msg#474260

I think FFMPEG / MediaInfo would best fit into a separate MediaPack package based off the current functionality of NerdTools. Prepackaged list of media tools with none of them installed by default until user selects which ones to load. Other items to include would be the mkvtoolkit and an mp3 tagger.

I also think there should be a DevPack plugin of similar structure, but focused on make, gcc, kernel headers, autoconf, and other items of that sort required to do custom kernels, slackbuilds, or other typical packages from source.

I always meant to do the DevPack but its always been bumped off my list by other matters.

Nerdpack could probably be cloned into a MediaPack. The DevPack is a little trickier especially for 6.1 where some of the dependencies in unRAID are greater than slackware 14.1. Like openssl. Then you have to compile them too or include the headers somehow since they are missing from unRAID.

My point of view - we've been trying to isolate the NAS parts from everything that might negatively impact stability, and that includes anything plugin-related.  Unfortunately, as we all are aware, that's been a losing battle lately, with numerous good ideas resulting in more and more plugins, each justifiable as a plugin too.  But media related stuff, I don't think there's any way to justify it.  Again it's just my opinion, but I really vote against a MediaPack.  Those needs would be MUCH better served in Docker containers, isolated from the core NAS.

I'm a little less concerned about a DevPack, because those tools should almost always be safe to run, and they're usually used briefly, a temporary usage to build something, plus they probably build better based in the bare metal configuration.  BUT ... the first thing most of us would want to do is test what we've built!  And that put's it squarely in the ought-to-be-isolated category!  Probably better to build a Docker container or VM that as closely as possible emulates an unRAID environment.  Best would be a packaged unRAID dev VM (doesn't need fancy graphics).

PhAzE's success worries me some, because it encourages so many users to run unstable and constantly updated media tools in the core.  It's a tribute to how well he's managed it, but it is not a good choice from a NAS point of view.  Users doing that should realize their NAS is not being treated as a 'mission critical' component.  How can anyone not be concerned when you see the number of users clamoring constantly for the latest Plex or other complex media tool, and adding it to their core unRAID system, knowing that it has barely been tested.  I don't see how any good IT person could approve.  It lets inexperienced users take the easy way out, and potentially shoot themselves in the foot then blame unRAID (hasn't happened yet, but it's probably coming).

How about mediainfo, and ffmpeg? Are they doable?

See here for ffmpeg.  Too many packages. Probably the same for mediainfo but I'll check it out. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=37541.msg474260.msg#474260

All right, that's cool. I spun up a VM and have them installed there, it's good enough. Been meaning to get a VM up and running for a while anyway for something else I needed, was a lot easier than the last time with the VM manager. 

Thanks for the work everybody! This pack has been a life/time saver.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know how to get a C compiler (gcc, etc...) installed on unraid? I wasn't sure if that would have been part of the nerdpack or dev pack.

I'm attempting to install hddtemp, and it's an utter failure lol. Here's what happens...

checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/ginstall -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.

Does anyone know how to get a C compiler (gcc, etc...) installed on unraid? I wasn't sure if that would have been part of the nerdpack or dev pack.

I'm attempting to install hddtemp, and it's an utter failure lol. Here's what happens...

checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/ginstall -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.

No it wouldn't be part of Nerdpack. In my view a Devpack would be hard since different programs require different dependencies. Which version of unRAID? I can get you a list of packages I use for either.

No it wouldn't be part of Nerdpack. In my view a Devpack would be hard since different programs require different dependencies. Which version of unRAID? I can get you a list of packages I use for either.

I'm on 6.1.9 -- I am certainly open to installing hddtemp via a docker container, but I *think* I'll still run into the same C compiler dependency issue.

I'm on 6.1.9 -- I am certainly open to installing hddtemp via a docker container, but I *think* I'll still run into the same C compiler dependency issue.

Here's a link to a pre compiled version. http://packages.slackonly.com/pub/packages/14.1-x86_64/system/hddtemp/hddtemp-0.3beta15-x86_64-1_slack.txz

I tried it out and it works but its database is out of date and I don't think it's really maintained anymore.

Hi, I enabled Perl, so it was downloaded, but never installed.  No matter how I disable it, Perl doesn't get deleted, hence, I cannot "enable" it again, download, and install.

What to do?

The packages are stored on the flash drive in /config/plugins/NerdPack/packages/UNRAID_VERSION. You can delete the Perl package if you happened to get a zero byte download somehow. You can also check Delete On and Uninstall On in the NerdPack settings page.

Could you please update lftp to lftp-4.7.3 ? I believe he  fixed the mirror and deleting directories issue I've been experiencing with the 4.7.2 version included in nerdpack.

Thank you!

Was that for 6.1 or 6.2? I updated 6.2 but I'll have to compile it for 6.1.

• Squid unpinned this topic