HowTo: Install HandBrakeCLI on your unRAID server (rather than in a VM)

I just happened to have the same Simpsons DVD already ripped, so I did some experiments, and found a set of settings that works very nicely and targets the 200MB size you wanted (I was within 10MB on about four different episodes):

-f mp4 -X 720 --loose-anamorphic --detelecine --decomb -e x264 -S 180 -2 -T -a 1 -E faac -6 dpl2 -R auto -B 128 -D 1.5 -m -x cabac=0:ref=2:me=umh:bframes=0:weightp=0:8x8dct=0:trellis=0:subme=6 -v 1

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Would be great to have an unMenu package for Handbrake CLI...

It would be simple enough to create one, you could probably do it!!

The link above that you download the .tgz file at is really all you need.  Take a look at he 'dmidecode' conf file and edit it as need be.  There is really not a lot to it.

If I get a chance to do it up quick I will, but I am busy with other things right now.

I made an unMENU package, and it appears to work, however I can't get the version checking to complete successfully. I'm not sure exactly what's wrong. Perhaps someone can take a look at it and see where I made a mistake.

To use it, have unMENU installed, and drop this conf file in to /boot/packages, then use the unMENU package manager to install.

(removed the attachment - use the one two posts after this one)

I made an unMENU package, and it appears to work, however I can't get the version checking to complete successfully. I'm not sure exactly what's wrong. Perhaps someone can take a look at it and see where I made a mistake.

To use it, have unMENU installed, and drop this conf file in to /boot/packages, then use the unMENU package manager to install.

Change the line with the test from

PACKAGE_VERSION_TEST HandBrakeCLI -u 2>&1 | grep '^HandBrake' | awk '{print $2}'

to

PACKAGE_VERSION_TEST /usr/local/bin/HandBrakeCLI -u 2>&1 | grep '^HandBrake' | awk '{print $2}'

/usr/local/bin is not in unMENU's search path.

other than that, you did real well.

Joe L.

• 1 month later...

Hm... why is this not in the list of packages within unMENU?

Basically because not enough people have confirmed that it works as desired and that is a good candidate to be included as currently defined.

Have you used the package.conf file?  Did it work as expected?  Does it need any changes/improvements?

Joe L.

Basically because not enough people have confirmed that it works as desired and that is a good candidate to be included as currently defined.

Have you used the package.conf file?  Did it work as expected?   Does it need any changes/improvements?

Joe L.

No, I have not.  I was about to embark on an experiment since I have not used handbrake before, and thought I would check its level of integration with the package manager before I installed it manually.

Have you used the package.conf file?  Did it work as expected?   Does it need any changes/improvements?

Joe L.

No, I have not.  I was about to embark on an experiment since I have not used handbrake before, and thought I would check its level of integration with the package manager before I installed it manually.

A properly defined package.conf file just needs to be put in the /boot/packages directory, or in the unmenu directory (and the package manager will then move it to the /boot/packages directory)

Once there, the package manager buttons should then just function.

A properly defined package.conf file just needs to be put in the /boot/packages directory, or in the unmenu directory (and the package manager will then move it to the /boot/packages directory)

I can confirm the package.conf file works perfectly for installing handbrake.  I installed it, set it for reinstall on reboot, and rebooted, and it came up as installed with the correct checksum.  As far as confirming handbrake works, I don't know that yet.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

kapperz, I haven't updated it beyond 0.9.5, and that's what the current unmenu .conf is referencing. Since the handbrake unmenu .conf isn't distributed as part of Joe L.'s unmenu, there's no current way to autoupdate.

However, if there's a desire for me to compile a newer snapshot, or a newer final version comes out, post in this thread, and I can compile and update the .conf file.

kapperz, I haven't updated it beyond 0.9.5, and that's what the current unmenu .conf is referencing. Since the handbrake unmenu .conf isn't distributed as part of Joe L.'s unmenu, there's no current way to autoupdate.

However, if there's a desire for me to compile a newer snapshot, or a newer final version comes out, post in this thread, and I can compile and update the .conf file.

I would appreciate if you could compile a newer snapshot. I've read that they now have better HD audio support that was not supported in 0.9.5.

TIA.

Attached are two unMENU .conf files for HandBrake.

handbrake-unmenu-package.conf is for installing 0.9.5, the most recent release version of HandBrake (same as what was posted a few months back).

handbrake-svn-unmenu-package.conf is for installing the most recent SVN build of HandBrake, 3853 (I haven't tested this one, so please give me feedback).

If you're not using unMENU, and still want to use HandBrake, here are the URLs for HandBrake for unRAID:

http://www.clunkclunk.com/HandBrakeCLI-0.9.5-unraid.tgz

http://www.clunkclunk.com/HandBrakeCLI-svn3853-unraid.tgz

handbrake-unmenu-package.conf

handbrake-svn-unmenu-package.conf

Attached are two unMENU .conf files for HandBrake.

handbrake-unmenu-package.conf is for installing 0.9.5, the most recent release version of HandBrake (same as what was posted a few months back).

handbrake-svn-unmenu-package.conf is for installing the most recent SVN build of HandBrake, 3853 (I haven't tested this one, so please give me feedback).

If you're not using unMENU, and still want to use HandBrake, here are the URLs for HandBrake for unRAID:

http://www.clunkclunk.com/HandBrakeCLI-0.9.5-unraid.tgz

http://www.clunkclunk.com/HandBrakeCLI-svn3853-unraid.tgz

Thank you for the nightly release, it will save me the bother of having to mux in HD audio track back in. I'll report back if there is any problems with it.

Do I need to install slackware for this to work or is as simple as downloading the config file to the unmenu folder and restarting unmenu?

You don't even need to re-start unMENU, just refresh the Pkg Manager page in your browser (or open that page if not currently open) after putting the .conf files in either the /boot/unmenu directory or the /boot/packages directory.

Great work, thank you ClunkClunk for this. I am already transcoding the first VIDEO_TS folder.

Could I ask for a favor, though (from ClunkClunk or Joe)?

- would it be possible to define variables via unMenu like:

1. SOURCE PATH ____ (and here have a file browser to indicate where the source is)

2. DESTINATION PATH ____(once again file browser so the user does not make typo errors in writing the path)

3. PATH to THE PRESET FOLDER

4. HARD CODED PRESETS TO BE CHOSEN from a drop-down menu (the items of this menu will be collected from the preset files available at the previous path, i.e #3).

So, the scenario would be to go to the package manager at the unMenu, download, install and re-enable install after reboot. Define the paths and the preset mentioned above and click GO and have your transcoding done.

Am I asking for too much? :)