Docker vs Plugins?

Unraid isnt lagging behind on dockers. And there is plenty of information out there. Matter of fact, I went from never using dockers at all to creating my own in under a day. There is plenty of information out there to get you started.

The only thing stopping you is you. Blaming it on unraid is disingenuous.

I'm not planning on continuing my 'docker experience' given its shortfall in an Unraid environment so i'll pull the server build. Thanks for your interest and offers of help but i'll just dip in occasionally and see whether unraid has managed to get itself up to speed with docker or whether it is still lagging way behind ...  think i already know the answer and as i'm never likely to be 'leading edge' with my understanding then maybe its time to hangup my docker boots now ... fell at the first hurdle. Lack of documentation.

Docker in unraid works brilliantly. And is, arguably, one of the most complete offerings on the market in terms of an integrated docker web management interface. Let alone the same sitting on a NAS appliance.

It's genuinely hugely progressive and future looking.

It's still not unraid-friendly though when it comes to giving end-users a docker 'experience' though. Surely unraid needs to offer a lot more if it's going to claim docker integration? Good to see people springing to its defence though. At the end of the day docker is a tool for the privileged few, those with the knowlwdge who wish to retain the knowledge. Unraid is a NAS and needed to remember that before attempting to diversify way beyond its core remit which it has done to the detriment of base users like myself. I will continue to serve my files via unraid, after all i've paid for three licences, but i see no point in continuing with docker until there's a bit more giving-up of 'understanding'  from the core docker users.

sickbeard_alt still grabs it from tvdb, just tried it and it doesn't seem any different.

The sickbeard_alt plugin allows you to install a different repo while also running sickbeard.

So you can install SickRage which grabs data from TVRage.

But you have to choose a different repo from plugin settings webgui page.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=33341.msg346543#msg346543

Took me < an hour from a fresh 6 install and limited understanding of docker to having a bunch of containers up and running.

I'd comfortably and easily migrated all my external vm services into docker containers in the space of an afternoon.

I'm one of unraids harshest critics (check my post history ;) ) but I have nothing but glowing things to say about 6 and docker. I'd go as far as to say that if you didn't care about unraid / storage but just wanted something web friendly and easy to get going to help with learning docker - I'd still recommend unraid just for that. It's implementation is that good.

All I ever see the unRAID documentation ever providing is a basic guide to getting the docker service instantiated in unRAID, and a description of the facilities offered by the docker plugin.

Documentation on how docker itself works will always be via the docker.io site, and I would expect unRAID documentation to just provide some links to there.  There is no point in unRAID re-inventing the documentation and guides provided there.

Documentation on particular containers will be primarily provided by the support site for the app(s) in the container (after all a container is a pre-packaged installation of an app).  There might be a little additional documentation for the author of particular container as to how he set up the app inside the container but that will be minimal.  In fact providing the template the unRAID docker plugin uses is effectively an instantiation of that extra documentation.

sickbeard_alt still grabs it from tvdb, just tried it and it doesn't seem any different.

The sickbeard_alt plugin allows you to install a different repo while also running sickbeard.

So you can install SickRage which grabs data from TVRage.

But you have to choose a different repo from plugin settings webgui page.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=33341.msg346543#msg346543

I actually figured this out after I posted my comment and had sickrage up and running but it wouldn't grab info from either tvdb or tvrage so i just left it and went to bed. Maybe I will play with it some more today, or try and learn more about docker as it seems lots of people have been able to set it up fairly easily.

Good to hear but you obviously have a great deal of experience to offer to docker installs which i dont have.

May I pipe in here ?....I know a lot less than you, take my word for it !...I know very very little Linux. .I pretty much bumbled my way through unraid when I first installed it, been using since v5 was still in beta, heavily reliant on the community here and what a great community at that. The transition from plugins which I was happy with and took me a lot of understanding, to docker...well, let's say I have not a lot of hair left...its taken longer to get my head around docker. .never even knew what it was until unraid 6 was released in beta. I kept at it and between here and the relevant application forums I got what I needed and I am extremely pleased with myself and dockers... but hey.. I'm 43, have four kids and have learnt to be patient !!..I hope you find what your looking for.

I think the only reason some people think plugins are easier to use than dockers is because they have already used plugins and have already gotten through some of the problems they had trying to use plugins.

If I were starting from scratch, I think I would consider dockers actually easier to set up than plugins. The whole process is handled much more consistently than plugins were and it is all done in the webGUI.

Also, as mentioned dockers don't create the dependency mess that plugins did.

I think the only reason some people think plugins are easier to use than dockers is because they have already used plugins and have already gotten through some of the problems they had trying to use plugins.

If I were starting from scratch, I think I would consider dockers actually easier to set up than plugins. The whole process is handled much more consistently than plugins were and it is all done in the webGUI.

well I decided to try out docker and try and learn how to set it up and it is pretty easy now that I have messed with it.  I made a guide as there doesn't seem to be a guide for the new interface. here is the link.  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=37732.0

Excellent detailed write up and will be very helpful for new users starting dockers, thank you for helping the community.

well I decided to try out docker and try and learn how to set it up and it is pretty easy now that I have messed with it.  I made a guide as there doesn't seem to be a guide for the new interface. here is the link.  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=37732.0

Thanks for that! I've bookmarked it and will return to it once I'm ready - disk are preclearing now. At a minimum I plan to install Plex to get me started.

Cheers!

Jim