Super slow speed when writing to server

Ok, I don't know what just happened...but the speed is back to normal. Only thing I did this time was to use putty to telnet to the server and while I was view the log file, I copied some files. W......T......F????

Which is why I wanted to see another syslog when the system is slow.

Split levels / Allocation methods aren't going to affect the transfer speed.  Only where the file itself goes

Have you tested your SOURCE drive, ie: your PC that you're copying files from? That could be your problem.

If you can, do a test the following:

1) Telnet into your unRAID box

2) copy a file from one of your data drives in the array to your cache drive. Use a DIFFERENT NAME and DIFFERENT DESTINATION. (be careful with spaces or other shell escape characters in filenames, so escape those appropriately)

dd if=/mnt/disk1/Movies/AMovie/AMovie.mkv of=/mnt/cache/tmp/tmp.tmp

You could also try doing input from /dev/null just to test writes speeds on the cache.

The cache drive is fine. I also tried writing to the files without the cache drive being mounted

Have you reinstalled the parity drive?  If so, then writing at ~20-30 MB/s is actually right where you should be without a cache drive.

I do not have a parity drive installed.

Ok so I used the tail -f /var/log/syslog command and it doesn't show anything when copying to or from the cache drive, it only shows when the mover script is actually writing to the array.

but what I find really strange is why it's showing that it keeps reimporting the disks over and over and over again starting at 1:39:40 until you stopped the array (~50times).

Seems to me it should only do it once until you stop the array.

Is this still happening?

but what I find really strange is why it's showing that it keeps reimporting the disks over and over and over again starting at 1:39:40 until you stopped the array (~50times).

Seems to me it should only do it once until you stop the array.

Is this still happening?

Not that I can tell. I am getting this in the syslog though.

root@Tower:~# tail -f /var/log/syslog

Jan 11 08:15:20 Tower logger: rsync: recv_generator: mkdir "/mnt/user0/applications/plex" failed: No space left on device (28)

Jan 11 08:15:20 Tower logger: *** Skipping any contents from this failed directory ***

Jan 11 08:15:20 Tower logger: rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1042) [sender=3.0.7]

Jan 11 08:15:20 Tower logger: ./applications/plex/config/Plex Media Server/Metadata/TV Shows/6/dc1a71fb6645207cfb2f35dedfcded149c157d4.bundle/Contents/_combined/seasons/5/episodes/8.xml

Jan 11 08:15:20 Tower shfs/user0: shfs_mkdir: assign_disk: applications/plex (28) No space left on device

Jan 11 08:15:20 Tower logger: cd+++++++++ applications/plex/

Jan 11 08:15:20 Tower logger: rsync: recv_generator: mkdir "/mnt/user0/applications/plex" failed: No space left on device (28)

Jan 11 08:15:20 Tower logger: *** Skipping any contents from this failed directory ***

Jan 11 08:15:20 Tower logger: rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1042) [sender=3.0.7]

Jan 11 08:15:20 Tower logger: ./applications/plex/config/Plex Media Server/Metadata/TV ShowJan 11 08:15:20 Tower logger: rsync: recv_generator: mkdir "/mnt/user0/applications/plex" failed: No space left on device (28)

Jan 11 08:15:20 Tower logger: ./applications/plex/config/Plex Media Server/Metadata/TV Shows/6/dc1a71fb6645207cfb2f35dedfcded149c157d4.bundle/Contents/_combined/seasons/5/episodes/8.xml

Jan 11 08:15:20 Tower shfs/user0: shfs_mkdir: assign_disk: applications/plex (28) No space left on device

Jan 11 08:15:20 Tower logger: cd+++++++++ applications/plex/

Jan 11 08:15:20 Tower logger: ./applications/plex/config/Plex Media Server/Metadata/TV Show

I'm assuming that those errors are put out by mover.

I think when you recreated the applications share that you forgot to set it as cache only (how its usually done).  User0 is the contents of the array (data drives only)

Not sure if that's how you want it.

I think it would be still helpful if you could post a complete syslog

I'm assuming that those errors are put out by mover.

I think when you recreated the applications share that you forgot to set it as cache only (how its usually done).  User0 is the contents of the array (data drives only)

Not sure if that's how you want it.

I think it would be still helpful if you could post a complete syslog

Just went back and checked and applications is set to cache only. I've been having an issue deleting old plex and other files I don't need anymore. When I went to delete them, it deleted most of the data but left behind a lot of small files...I'm guessing files that plex wouldn't let the user delete. I'd really love to delete them as I'm not evening using plex or even have it installed at the moment.

Just went back and checked and applications is set to cache only. I've been having an issue deleting old plex and other files I don't need anymore. When I went to delete them, it deleted most of the data but left behind a lot of small files...I'm guessing files that plex wouldn't let the user delete. I'd really love to delete them as I'm not evening using plex or even have it installed at the moment.

The easiest way to delete them would be by running mc at the command prompt.

The easiest way to delete them would be by running mc at the command prompt.

mc? Please go into detail. lol I'm knowledgeable in a lot of things...but linux shell is something I have very little knowledge in. I plan on upgrading to an ssd for the cache this weekend. So it won't be able problem then...hopefully.

mc? Please go into detail. lol I'm knowledgeable in a lot of things...but linux shell is something I have very little knowledge in. I plan on upgrading to an ssd for the cache this weekend. So it won't be able problem then...hopefully.

Then Midnight Commander (mc) is easily your best bet.  Its a graphical linux shell.

Just login to your server, type mc at the command prompt, navigate with the arrow keys and enter to the appropriate directory.  When the directory is highlighted, press "F8" to delete it.  (You'll be navigating to /../mnt/user0)

NB:  If you're doing it via Telnet or Putty instead of locally, you'll have to set the "translation" of the character set to be UTF-8 so that everything shows up right.  Locally via keyboard and monitor works fine all the time

Then Midnight Commander (mc) is easily your best bet.  Its a graphical linux shell.

Just login to your server, type mc at the command prompt, navigate with the arrow keys and enter to the appropriate directory.  When the directory is highlighted, press "F8" to delete it.  (You'll be navigating to /../mnt/user0)

NB:  If you're doing it via Telnet or Putty instead of locally, you'll have to set the "translation" of the character set to be UTF-8 so that everything shows up right.  Locally via keyboard and monitor works fine all the time

Ah, that worked perfectly.

Referring back to the original issue, setting a share to cache-only refers to where new files are put.    It does not stop mover from moving files from cache to the array if there is already a folder corresponding to the cache-only share on one of the data disks.  You therefore need to check for this and if necessary tidy up to get the desired behaviour.

Referring back to the original issue, setting a share to cache-only refers to where new files are put.    It does not stop mover from moving files from cache to the array if there is already a folder corresponding to the cache-only share on one of the data disks.  You therefore need to check for this and if necessary tidy up to get the desired behaviour.

Yeah, I tried to that. I placed the folders to not use cache...I even took the cache drive off-line and just tried copying directly to the drives. That still gave me the same results.

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm not sure if this matters or not, but when loading, unraid does the disk check and it says that my sas card is 5.0GB but it's supposed to be 6. Anyone think this might have something to do with the slow speeds? I installed a MX100 and my rights are still around 35-40 MB/s with no parity.

Archived