unRAID looking for username and password

mtruffa

I have upgraded to 6.0 recently and everything was working fine until today. All of a sudden it is asking for a user name and password. "The server says: unRAID SMU" I tried the standard root root but it does not work. there are no other users or password on the server.

any suggestions

58aad76a364ba_Screenshot_from_2015-01-14_211605.png.8b58121a50720c54280a92ce9f96e7a7.png

Since no one else has jumped in, I will give two approachs to try.

First thing before anything else--  The username is 'root' not 'root.'

If that was not the problem, then try this:

Shut the server down.

Pull the flash drive and plug it into another computer.

Rename the 'passwd' and the 'shadow' file in the 'config' folder (or directory) to 'passwd.old' and 'shadow.old'.

Plug the flash drive back and start the server.

The user should now be 'root' and the password is a blank.  (Just press the enter key.)

(I had you rename the these files rather than deleting it in case something goes wrong.  You can simply repeat the process and rename them back to the original name.)

Reason for edit:  To add the shadow file in instructions.

• 3 weeks later...

Frank1940  That worked but it has happened again. What would cause the issue. I don't want to keep having to reset this all the time. How can I fix this so it does not happen again.

Does anyone (with even minimal computer knowledge) have access to your server?  What I would do is to reset the password and shadow files again.  Then, the FIRST time I logged onto the server, go to the 'Users' page, double-click on the user 'root' and change the password for the root user from blank to one that is really secure-- at least, seven characters long-- and not easy to guess by someone who knows me.  While it does make it a bit more of a hassle to gain access to the server, it does prevent semi-malicious game playing with you.

• 1 year later...

I just ran into this same issue.  The fix posted by Frank1940 worked as well.  I upgraded not to long ago, haven't logged in for a few weeks and when I did I encountered the exact same login issue as the OP and nothing worked to get in.  Ran through Frank1940's fix and everything is as it was.  Thanks Frank!

• 10 months later...

I just had this same issue happen. I let it sit overnight and now when I wake up it says that I don't have an encrypted connection to the server and wants me to log back in. I force reset server and booted back up and it let me back in. Just weird that it randomly did this as it sat Idle. One thing I noticed I never seen before was on the screen I have hooked up to the server directly usually it just sits on a black screen showing Tower Login: but this time it said something about CPULoad blah blah blah Daemon something or other.. and then showed my IP address and IP range it was using.. But again. I just force shut down and back on and it let me back in. Any Idea why this might be happening?

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...